PDA

View Full Version : PBK has Campagnolo Athena 11 Groups

dana_e
06-11-2009, 12:10 PM
http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?cat=Groupsets

seems pricey

KJMUNC
06-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Exactly why I bought a Centaur 10spd alloy group from Ribble over the weekend. I had a hunch the Athena 11 was going to be more expensive and frankly I don't need another gear and a $175 chain tool.

fatallightning
06-11-2009, 01:12 PM
I wonder how much ribble will have it for, they usually beat pbk for pricing. I also wonder how much cheaper alloy will be.

KJMUNC
06-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Although it's been rumored, I've yet to see the alloy-shifter version of Athena. The carbon shifters are actually carbon-wrapped alloy, not full carbon so it's an easy transition if they decide to do it but I'm sure they are trying to get everyone to buy the more expensive group first. Just like why sports cars usually come out in a hard top version first, with a convertible to follow.

fatallightning
06-11-2009, 02:31 PM
What are the functional differences between this and Chorus 11?

dana_e
06-11-2009, 02:53 PM
if I get the new shape levers, I am going 11.

I have a nice cache of 10, so it will be awhile.

Good news, campy wheels are all ready to go 11.

functinal differences, not much, D

KJMUNC
06-11-2009, 03:45 PM
if I get the new shape levers, I am going 11.

I have a nice cache of 10, so it will be awhile.

Good news, campy wheels are all ready to go 11.

functinal differences, not much, D

Precisely why I opted for the new Centaur 10. You get the updated shifter/lever shapes but 10spd compatibility. Shifting is a bit diff than previous 10, but you get used to it.

dana_e
06-11-2009, 03:50 PM
I did hear rumored Park is coming out with an 11 speed campy chain tool.

I just may get an Alu pair of 2009 10 speed shifters, since I have the rest in 10 speed.

clweed
06-11-2009, 03:54 PM
http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?cat=Groupsets

seems pricey

Time to Check the U.S. suppliers (http://www.lickbike.com/sectionsublist.aspx?SECTION='0040'&SUBSECTION='100'&SECTIONNAME='Groups%20(Parts)'&SUBSECTIONNAME='ROAD')

jlwdm
06-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Going to be pricey with limited availability.

Chorus is a better deal right now.

Athena really needs to put out the alloy levers. I don't know how long I want to wait though.

Jeff

dancinkozmo
06-11-2009, 07:27 PM
wow ! an extra 15% off electronic Dura Ace..now only 3200 bucks !!

hokoman
06-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Although it's been rumored, I've yet to see the alloy-shifter version of Athena. The carbon shifters are actually carbon-wrapped alloy, not full carbon so it's an easy transition if they decide to do it but I'm sure they are trying to get everyone to buy the more expensive group first. Just like why sports cars usually come out in a hard top version first, with a convertible to follow.

can you elaborate on the sports car reference? I'm not getting it. convertibles are typically more expensive and a lot more complicated to make since it requires additional subframe stiffness. sorry to get off topic.

11 gears... geez... I have dura ace 9 on my bikes, then when they came out with the 7800 series i went with record 10, and when they went to 11, i went to sram red on my last bike. lots of bikes, all different shifting!!!!

GuyGadois
06-11-2009, 10:25 PM
wow ! an extra 15% off electronic Dura Ace..now only 3200 bucks !!

But that includes an extra set of AA batteries.

Jack Brunk
06-11-2009, 10:39 PM
I've heard from very reliable sources that Campy USA will not warranty any European Campy parts. All the parts are now serial numbered and they will refuse warranty service. Just a heads up.

GuyGadois
06-11-2009, 10:50 PM
I've heard from very reliable sources that Campy USA will not warranty any European Campy parts. All the parts are now serial numbered and they will refuse warranty service. Just a heads up.

I totally believe this. Companies usually don't support grey market items. I have never had a Campy part sent to warranty. if it does I saved so much by going Uk that it will probably pay for a replacement. Fingers crossed.

-GG-

Dave
06-12-2009, 07:41 AM
The only part I've ever seen with a permanent serial number is the crank. The rest have nonpermanent stickers.

You can always get warranty service, IF you buy from an authorized dealer, you have the original receipt and the part is returned to Campy by the dealer.

All that said, since 1995, I've had one part that could have been repaired under warranty for about $20. I never expect to need warranty service and never consider it when buying.

znfdl
06-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Likton's pricing on par with their European counterparts, it is nice to see.....

fatallightning
06-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Likton's pricing on par with their European counterparts, it is nice to see.....
agreed. I wish they had veloce at uk prices, i'd much rather support them then send my money over the pond.

dana_e
06-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Agreed, support your local operation, post was sort of an FYI, it is out there, since I heard Fall was the intro.

Go Campy. Go new Shape.