PDA

View Full Version : Nimble Wheels are back!

jbrainin
06-11-2009, 11:59 AM
I just checked the Nimble website, www.nimble.net, and found that they are back in business having survived last fall's fire. They are currently selling their Spider Gen. 3 clincher wheels which look to be a major improvement on earlier models. I was impressed enough that I ordered a pair.

Acotts
06-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Even though I am 175#, those horse Fly look very interesting. As do the new Spider.

However, I distrust low spoke count wheels. they always seem too flexy for me.

I look forward to your review.

johnnymossville
06-11-2009, 12:17 PM
That's great news! I heard about the fire here and was wondering about them recently.

rockdude
06-11-2009, 12:33 PM
Glade to see them back up and running. Great Company.

I wish their website was a little better. The photos are not sexy and you really can't get a feel how nice the wheels look. They are really lacking in the Photography area.

jbrainin
06-11-2009, 01:18 PM
Glade to see them back up and running. Great Company.

I wish their website was a little better. The photos are not sexy and you really can't get a feel how nice the wheels look. They are really lacking in the Photography area.

Problem with the website, and the photography, is that Nimble is a two person operation and the website is run by David, who is the one doing most of the wheel-building and other stuff. The problem is much the same as what Ben Serotta explained here a couple of days ago except that Nimble has much fewer resources and is therefore even more limited in addressing things that are not directly related to manufacturing.

Given the fire that cost them seven months of business, it's probably even more difficult to them to address these other issues.

jbrainin
06-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Even though I am 175#, those horse Fly look very interesting. As do the new Spider.

However, I distrust low spoke count wheels. they always seem too flexy for me.

I look forward to your review.

I've got a pair of the second generation Spider wheels (24/28) that I've put about 700 miles on. I'm about 160# and these wheels have been superb and have presented no problems at all. The third generation wheels I ordered today will be 20/28 based on David's recommendation. The combination of the new rim coupled with the new front hub evidently yields a much stronger wheel than the previous generation Spider wheel.

Regarding the Horse Fly wheel, unless there is remaining inventory that somehow survived the fire, that wheel is discontinued. The website states that there is a replacement Fly wheel in the works that will be made from alloy rims rather than carbon fiber.

Acotts
06-11-2009, 01:57 PM
They are super cheap and light. I am certainly interested.

I just wonder how they would compare in the "solid" arena with my 20/24 DT Swis 1.2's.

They are a ton lighter and about 2/3rds the cost. But the 1.2s are bomb proof and that is very important to me.

cmg
06-11-2009, 02:57 PM
the Spiders look cool. post a ride report when you get them.

jbrainin
06-18-2009, 01:08 PM
I was just notified that the wheels are shipping today and that I should received them by next Tuesday. That's a pretty quick turn considering that they had to order, and receive, the Powertap hub before the rear wheel could be built. I look forward to trying them out next Tuesday evening.

CPP
06-18-2009, 01:47 PM
I have been using the Fly wheels for a long time. Excellent wheels. Great weight for racing and very strong, even for everyday rides. And, they won't send you to the poor house.

ClutchCargo
06-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Kind of bummed to hear their plans for an "exotic metals" Fly. I have enjoyed the carbon-rimmed Flys and was planning on getting a new pair through their replacement program when the fire occurred.

Hope David and crew hit their stride soon, in any event. They make a nice product and I like rooting for "little guys" who make a nice product and sell at fair prices !

Ride on!

paczki
06-18-2009, 03:08 PM
That's good news.