PDA

View Full Version : Care to place any bets?

paczki
06-10-2009, 10:22 AM
From Cycling News:

UCI to take action, Tour riders face army of testers

The International Cycling Union (UCI) announced that it will be taking disciplinary action against an undisclosed number of professional riders whose biological passports have shown abnormal results, at a press conference in Paris on Wednesday.

"The riders will be informed early next week," said UCI president Pat McQuaid, according to AFP. "We will inform their teams and national federations. We will [then] name the riders and will start disciplinary proceedings against them."

McQuaid did not reveal the names of the riders involved nor the teams effected. Sources within the UCI have indicated that the names of riders could emerge on Monday of next week.

keevon
06-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Let's see... who's been a 'revelation' so far?

Haussler?
Boasson-Hagen?
Garzelli?

Of the three, I'd guess Garzelli.

fiamme red
06-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Tell_Us, Who Will Get_Popped? :)

goonster
06-10-2009, 11:29 AM
What can they do on the passport results?

They can ban them as a "pre-cautionary" measure, but can't impose doping sanctions, correct?

LegendRider
06-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Of the three, I'd guess Garzelli.

It wouldn't be the first time - see the 2002 Giro.

1centaur
06-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Hmmm, clearing a path for Lance in the Top 10 of the Tour? :)

Your_Friend!
06-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Friends!

I Will Guess:

Menchov

Contador

Cancellara

Just_Guesses!

Love,
Y_F!

BumbleBeeDave
06-10-2009, 12:33 PM
What can they do on the passport results?

They can ban them as a "pre-cautionary" measure, but can't impose doping sanctions, correct?

There's no effective rider's union and this is not a legal proceeding. There are no applicable due process considerations. As with previous cases, there will be very few riders who have the financial resources to adequately defend themselves.

And I also think that Menchov will come in for some close scrutiny after the way I watched him mark DiLuca so easily during all the later stages of the Giro. The Killer looks like he's dying while attacking and Menchov stayed on his wheel like glue with no obvious discomfort.

BBD

goonster
06-10-2009, 08:36 PM
There's no effective rider's union and this is not a legal proceeding. There are no applicable due process considerations.
Well, there has to be a protocol. Somewhere, in a UCI file cabinet, there resides an SOP which states what they will do. And whatever that policy is has not yet been challenged in French, or Spanish, or Italian courts. Or by whatever arbitration panels have an interest.

Surely there are lawyers rubbing their hands together in anticipation of taking a high profile rider's case all the way to CAS.

I think I would like Lausanne. Time to work on that law school application . . .