PDA

View Full Version : What is it worth?

C5 Snowboarder
06-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Looking for an opinion on a used Carbon bike. Without mentioning the frame maker so we don't get into why that frame replies - assume it is a well respected well known carbon frame that lists for about $3100 (frame and fork) new. The bike has Campy 10 speed, no saddle, Campy Eurus wheels. Bike is almost new- a 2009 or 2008 model, with less than 1000 miles total. Well cared for. Anyone one know what a range would be for sometrhing like this??? Thanks for your input. :beer:

dave thompson
06-09-2009, 11:48 PM
If it were up for auction, I would bid around $1500. Not knowing the brand is stifling and could possibly make somewhat of a difference it the value.

C5 Snowboarder
06-09-2009, 11:54 PM
If it were up for auction, I would bid around $1500. Not knowing the brand is stifling and could possibly make somewhat of a difference it the value.
thanks Dave.. I would be happy if I got it at that price. I am told it lists for about $6300 new

Steve in SLO
06-10-2009, 12:16 AM
I'd think closer to $2000-2500 depending on condition. Since you know the maker, if it is what you want, bid on the higher side. As a guide, if auctioned separately, the group would be worth near $1K without the wheels/buildkit. A $3100 frame should go for $1200-1800 depending on the maker, and the wheels for ~$400 with tires, so figure if it's worth it for you.

C5 Snowboarder
07-03-2009, 09:56 AM
Update--

Well the bike arrived in Seattle for a test drive..great ride BUT finally got him to give me a price... $5000. So he still has it.. I can get a new one for about $5500. So still no carbon bike in my stable.. :)

Dan Le foot
07-03-2009, 10:00 AM
50% off new is a good starting point.
Higher end bikes (Meivichi, Ottrott etc) 60%-65% off.
Dan

dave thompson
07-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Dan
...or more.

Pete Serotta
07-03-2009, 03:23 PM
The minimum.....50-60% off list, especially in this market.

Brand and whether 10 speed or 11 speed will also make a difference. If the bike is something you want than half list is best I would ever pay and that is a big if. (Yes applies to SEROTTA also. For the frame alone 40% of list....Example would be what Ottrott and Meivicis which were posted by forumites.

For certain bikes, folks are better splitting the bike apart (frame and Fork) and sell independently...

Dan

dekindy
07-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Confusing. No brand name, initially said that it listed for $3,100 for frame and fork and then changed it to $6,300. Then found out the seller wants $5,000 and says he can buy it new for $5,500. I forget, was there a question in there somewhere that made sense or is it just me?

C5 Snowboarder
07-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Confusing. No brand name, initially said that it listed for $3,100 for frame and fork and then changed it to $6,300. Then found out the seller wants $5,000 and says he can buy it new for $5,500. I forget, was there a question in there somewhere that made sense or is it just me?

Hmm.. the $6300 is the entire bike new price with the components listed in the OP.... the $3100 is the frame and fork as mentioned above in the OP. Recently I found a site offering a new build with this same frame and fork but with Shimano for about $5500.

I was only told thru his email of the $6300 or so new for his bike - have no proof of that. My guess is DeKindly - I would have to have the exact component part numbers and specs of his bike build to get any closer to an exact figure for you. Hope this helps with your answer to your own question.. thanks.. :)

Dan Le foot
07-03-2009, 05:03 PM
...or more.
Not exactly investment grade, ay, Dave?
Dan

Ozz
07-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Since you are not buying....what brand is the frame?

just curious.... :beer:

C5 Snowboarder
07-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Since you are not buying....what brand is the frame?

just curious.... :beer:

I was wondering who would ask that first --- I rode it for about 27 miles the other night. It is a very nice handling bike and with a very smooth ride - :beer:

It is a Wilier Le Roi ..

http://www.wilier-usa.com/#/road/leroi/

dekindy
07-03-2009, 10:20 PM
There were just a lot of numbers floating around with incomplete information so it was very difficult to follow. If the answers helped, then great!

C5 Snowboarder
07-03-2009, 11:37 PM
There were just a lot of numbers floating around with incomplete information so it was very difficult to follow. If the answers helped, then great!

I know numbers and $$$ can be difficult for some - just look at some of the trouble people have with their retirement funds and the Bernie Madofs of the world. ..maybe I can you help sort out pricing of bikes for you.

For example You can buy an incomplete bike as just a frame and fork and then build it yourself by buying individual components. So if you try to follow here.. The frame and the fork of the used bike in which I was interested costs about $3100 when it was new ( that is no components, it is bare, empty, zilch, nothing there). To that you would need to add the cost of your group set ( in this case it was a Campy), handlebars, stem, seatpost, saddle, peddles, wheels and tires and a bunch of other small items. If you add the cost of all of those items up with a calculator you would find the bike in which I was interested in buying would have a cost somewhere around $6300 + or – a fist full of dollars.
So DeKindly - given that - I was only wondering what a used bike which cost new around $6300 would be worth – that is to ask if I were to buy “Used” which is no longer “New”, what would be a fair price to pay. So I know this is a lot of info on a hot Friday night – but I think if you re- read the answers above you might get a better idea now of how a used bike might be worth somewhere around 50% + or – another fistful of dollars of the new cost. In this case - if you are still with me ….. 50% X $6300 = $3150.00 Think of it as buying a used car or a new car – generally you will pay more for a new car than a used car. I hope this has helped you DeKindly :beer:

Pete Serotta
07-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Happy 4th of July,,,, lets have a day of "chill" thanks... :beer:

dekindy
07-06-2009, 12:18 PM

Were you talking about the whole bike or the frame and fork only?