during the road improvement -- as required by Florida law. However,
says our source, Jeff Lynne of the Boca Raton Bicycle Club,
beachfront property owners along A1A are opposed to the addition of
sidewalks or bike lanes. If you're so inclined, you may sign a
petition in support of the bike lanes via this link:
http://www.floridacycling.com/petition.pdf

saab2000
01-06-2005, 03:05 PM
Being a PDF file it is hard to sign online.

Anyway, I sure as heck hope it is built with a proper bike lane. I spent 3 months last winter in Vero Beach and the fact that I was able to ride up and down A1A is the main reason I consider Florida to be cool.

Well, the weather during those 3 months helped too...... :D

Don
01-06-2005, 03:32 PM
Hey, people,

We've collected more than 4,000 petitions to date which will be presented to the FDOT later this month.

If you want to fax petitions to me, I'd be most grateful. Fax to Don Braverman at 561-416-9433. Time is of the essence.

By the way, I'm president of the Boca Raton Bicycle Club and a board member of the Florida Bicycle Association as well as the Safe Bicycling Coalition of Palm Beach County. I say this not to impress anyone but to let all know that these organizations as well as LAB are "with us" and that unless cyclists are willing to speak out for what is rightfully theirs, we all loose. Fellow forum favorite, Bill Bove, has also been a leader in the effort.

PLEASE HELP!

Don

Russ
01-06-2005, 03:34 PM
Being a PDF file it is hard to sign online.

I don't think you are suppossed to sign it online!!!

There is a fax at the bottom of the page to fax this document to.... Download it, print it, make a few copies sign them and also give them to your friends!

Thanks for the info MA :)

Don
01-06-2005, 03:54 PM
Thanks, Russ!

saab2000
01-07-2005, 07:09 AM
At first I thought it was one of those online petitions......

:rolleyes:

CarlosContreros
01-07-2005, 07:09 AM
This is usually something people would try and push through with the
minimum amount of people knowing anything about it so as to
not impeed the deal being done!!
Maybe we can "put up a fight"!!

Something interesting.....sad....and ironic.
A few years back the "Head of Bicycle Safety" in the State of
Florida was killed when struck from behind while riding her bike
with friends on a country road.
They didn't know what hit them!

And......she had always been an "advocate" of cyclists being able to
ride "facing traffic" while on country roads so as to be able to see
on-coming traffic!

Bill Bove
01-07-2005, 07:46 AM
Palm Beach County leads the state of Florida in bicycle/car accidents, last year there were over 800. PBC has a very large agriculture industry empolying many South American laborers who rely upon bicycles as transportation. The Safe Bicycling Coalition of Palm Beach www.safebicycling.org is trying to improve conditons for tham as well the recreational cyclists who use state road A1A.

A1A is the primary recreational cycling route in Palm Beach County, if you've ever been here you'll know why. Traffic here is deadly. The state owns a 200 foot right of way along most of the road in the county, residents are vigously opposing ANY widening or improvement to the road using that right of way in fear that it will encourage cycling on an already congested road. Their argument, not mine. They have money and influence on their side, it has been a long battle so far and it will continue on longer. But we feel that this is only the beginning, if we lose here it could very well impact ALL future projects such as this in the entire state. If you live in Florida get involved!

Don
01-07-2005, 07:51 PM
has exceeded 5,000 signatures as of this evening. Won't you please take a moment or two and fax a completed form (see earlier messages). Unless we as a group are willing to speak out, we have no one to blame but ourselves when consideration for safe cycling is conveniently "overlooked." Thanks!