PDA

View Full Version : value of 1980's pinarello treviso??

blossombone
06-09-2009, 07:10 PM
Hi all,

Hope this is in the right place.

I just changed to a carbon bike after 20 years with the same pinarello treviso. Here are the specs.

Pinarello Treviso Columbus SL Frame 54cm (blue paint near perfect, decals toast)
around 1986 model bought NOS in around 1988
Shimano ultegra crankset, brakes
shimano 105 rear derallier, ultegra index shifters
campy chorus fron derallier
campy headset
Mavic hubs with campy omega clincher rims
dura ace 7 speed cogs
cinelli bars and stem

This bike was always lovingly cared for and rides as good as the day it was bought. Very responsive ride and quick handling.

I know some people want original parts (many of the original parts were campy super record and chorus) But the present set up runs much better.

Wondering what it's worth?

Dekonick
06-09-2009, 07:48 PM
hate to tell you this -

not worth what it's true value should be.

If I were you, I would keep it as a spare. You could always part it out and keep the frame to make a nice fixed gear. (as it has 126 rear spacing)

Blue Jays
06-09-2009, 07:52 PM
It has received loving care and you're the original owner? In that case, don't sell it...keep it for yourself.
It's a true classic and you'll absolutely kick yourself someday for parting with it for a few measly dollars.

texbike
06-09-2009, 09:22 PM
This bike was always lovingly cared for and rides as good as the day it was bought. Very responsive ride and quick handling.

I know some people want original parts (many of the original parts were campy super record and chorus) But the present set up runs much better.

It probably isn't worth more than about $400 given the mix of parts on it now. I would definitely keep it, clean it up, add new decals (easy to find on ebay) and slowly replace the Shimano stuff with classic Campy parts.

In fact, here is a link to a similar project that a RBR forum member was working on recently: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=172686 .

Best Regards,

Texbike

GuyGadois
06-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Well, first I would verify that this Pinarello is actually a Treviso model. Every Pinarello that I have seen has "Treviso" on the seat tube. This is the city Pinarello's are made (outside of Venice). Now, if it says it on the top tube then it is a Treviso. The Treviso model was a low-end Pinarello but still can demand some money if in good condition. I would strip the frame and sell it for about $300 and put the other stuff up on Fleabay.

First, can you confirm that this is truly a Treviso model?

I Want Sachs?
06-09-2009, 11:58 PM
I would say about $350. Keeping it might be better.

blossombone
06-10-2009, 04:04 AM
First, can you confirm that this is truly a Treviso model?

It doesn't say anything on the top tube. But I know what you're talking about. My best friend had a Montello from a year or two after and it had a sticker.
The way to tell these frames is the top of the line one had slx. This frame used to be the top of the line before slx was made and it has sl. The next one down (Asolo) had Aielle tubing.

This has t he SL sticker so, that's how I know it's a Treviso. The newer Trevisos had internal cable routing. I actuallt prefered the exterior cable sheaths.

I was REALLY up on Italian bikes when I bought this one. I even lived in Italy and one of my good friends owns a bike factory there. (zanella)

As far as keeping it, I might. I also thought it was a work of art. (which it is) but the carbon goes much fstaer and is actually more fun to ride.
I never thought it was true, but to me it is. Especially on the long windy rides I do.

Although, if I rode in the city I might pick the Pinarello, since it is so zippy.

Although, I guess the interest in these bikes is mainly sentimental, because who would want to go back to friction shifting?

I have lived in Spain for the last 18 years. I wanted to see what the bike was worth in the US and maybe bring it back some time and sell it on Ebay. I recently saw a similar bike sell on Ebay in France for about 350 euros.

Talk about cool bikes, though. I ride with a group of older guys sometimes. One has a bike from a member of Miguel Indurain's Banesto team. It was ridden in all the big stage races. That bike still holds up to modern bikes. Aluminum tubing with carbon stays, 90's campy super record. Another guy's son is on the Cervelo team. (but wasn't in the recent Giro) Also, one of the guy's is a 73 year old former pro racer, who became a "sognieur" after his racing career was over. He still holds on to the back of the pack, (complains a lot) and sometimes makes a "breakaway" when we stop at a crossing or whatever. I'm sure if they had a race for really old farts, he would win! He's got a really cool old Pugeot probably aluminium. I'll take a closer loo next time.

GuyGadois
06-10-2009, 09:51 AM
It doesn't say anything on the top tube. But I know what you're talking about. My best friend had a Montello from a year or two after and it had a sticker.

The way to tell a Montello is by it's bridgeless bottom bracket which was revolutionary for its time (ok, maybe it was just cool).

I had the chance to visit Giovanni Pinarello twice - once in the 80s and once in the 90s after my parents befriended the family on a vacation. I still own my custom Montello and love it eventhough the carbon bike is snappier and an all around better bike. The Pinarello still remains cool.

-GG-

blossombone
06-10-2009, 02:54 PM
The way to tell a Montello is by it's bridgeless bottom bracket which was revolutionary for its time (ok, maybe it was just cool).

I had the chance to visit Giovanni Pinarello twice - once in the 80s and once in the 90s after my parents befriended the family on a vacation. I still own my custom Montello and love it eventhough the carbon bike is snappier and an all around better bike. The Pinarello still remains cool.

-GG-
Yeah, but what other Pinarello road frame from those years had SLX?

What do you mean by a "bridgeless bottom bracket"?

cadence90
06-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Yeah, but what other Pinarello road frame from those years had SLX?

What do you mean by a "bridgeless bottom bracket"?
Guy means the bottom bracket shell.
The Montello frame bb shell did not have a bridge behind the shell spanning the chainstays; instead, it had reinforcing "flanges" around the shell, which purportedly made the bb area more stiff. You can see the flanges and lack of a c-stay bridge in this photo.

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/8084/montellobbshellt.jpg
RE: your SLX question, Bulgier catalogs (http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/) are a good source of info on older bikes. Catalogs are indexed by builder, then year. Scroll down to "Pinarello".

fiamme red
06-10-2009, 03:33 PM
RE: your SLX question, Bulgier catalogs (http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/) are a good source of info on older bikes. Catalogs are indexed by builder, then year. Scroll down to "Pinarello".Also Velobase (http://velobase.com/Resource_Tools/CatalogScans.aspx).

Only a scan of a 1985 price list for Pinarello, but there's a lot of good stuff there.

GuyGadois
06-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Also Velobase (http://velobase.com/Resource_Tools/CatalogScans.aspx).

Only a scan of a 1985 price list for Pinarello, but there's a lot of good stuff there.

Cool! I submitted that pricelist! That is from when I got my Montello :)

-GG-

cadence90
06-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Cool! I submitted that pricelist! That is from when I got my Montello :)

-GG-
And it's in Lire, the vecchie Lire; meaning everything on that list is now free!!! :beer:
(Talk about a devalued frn....)

blossombone
06-10-2009, 05:04 PM
That is cool! I also found the 1975 Motobecane Grand Record. That was my first "real" bike. Only difference is that it came with 27" high pressure clicher rims. A new thing at that time.

If you look at the catalogue, the Treviso and Montello frames are very close in price.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z236/blossombone/IMG_6135.jpg

(disregard the funny skewers, and tires, I have been messing around with it lately, but no serious riding)

I was riding around by heighborhood tonight. Compared to the new bike, I feel like I could reach down and touch the ground. Very different.

blossombone
06-10-2009, 05:46 PM
BTW I might have gotten a Montello back in the day, but I was a lighter rider then, and the SL weighs less than the SLX. The extra stiffness really favored heavier riders. Besides that the Treviso frame was a little cheaper, so best of both worlds!