PDA

View Full Version : No. 5 Chain-L

dekindy
06-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Anybody using this lubrication and can give feedback? I currently use Dumonde Tech's original formula when that bottle is empty I am considering trying Dumonde Tech Lite or Rock n Roll as recommended by my LBS.

I saw a reference to a Serotta forum quote and found Dookie's actual quote.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=58991&highlight=chain-l
See reply #14.

There was also a reference to Richard Sachs recommending it in the "salon".
http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6591

fiamme red
06-09-2009, 02:16 PM
What is the secret magic ingredient in it that allows you to go 1,000+ miles between applications?

malcolm
06-09-2009, 03:18 PM
I've used the dumonde tech lite for several years and really like it. I've heard the chain-L #5 is thick.

Bytesiz
06-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Just ordered a trial 1oz bottle for $4. Thanks for the info.

Aaron

rwsaunders
06-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Email your address to me and I'll forward a sample bottle.

RBaker2778
06-09-2009, 04:34 PM
I personally do not care for Chain-L. I find that if you actually wait 1,000 miles between applications, it gets so dirty that shifting is sloppy. It wasn't my thing at all. That being said, I know others that love it. I personally prefer the Dumonde.

xjoex
06-09-2009, 04:51 PM
I got a free bottle, it is very thick, and attracts tons of dirt. I don't like it at all.

Also it smells terrible.

However the name is funny.

-Joe

Dave
06-09-2009, 06:29 PM
High buck chain lubes are a complete waste of money. Keep those old bottles and mix your own. For a thin lube, applied frequently use 4 parts mineral spirits or naptha to 1 part motor oil. For something thicker, try 4-6 parts solvent to 1 part 80/90W gear lube.

Lifelover
06-09-2009, 06:39 PM
High buck chain lubes are a complete waste of money. Keep those old bottles and mix your own. For a thin lube, applied frequently use 4 parts mineral spirits or naptha to 1 part motor oil. For something thicker, try 4-6 parts solvent to 1 part 80/90W gear lube.

+1

If you feel that this formula is too low rent for you, use a synthetic motor oil. The benefits of a synthetic are meaningless to this application but it still sounds good.

The lubrication requirements for a bike chain are about as far down the demand curve as you can get.

The longer it last the more it attracts dirt.

Find a product that meets you happy medium and move on.

pdbrye
06-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Rock n' Roll Gold works great for me. Record 10 drivetrain is silent and smooth.

rnhood
06-09-2009, 07:06 PM
I mix Dura Lube (from auto parts store) and mineral spirits about 1:3 respectively. It makes a great lube. Have to wipe it off well because, it does seem to attract dirt. I suspect all "good" lubes will though.

dekindy
06-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Does anybody use STP? I would think that racers would want it for it's edge.

I currently use Dumonde Tech but don't like the dirt buildup. My LBS recommends Rock n Roll so I am going to try that. I think I would like a free sample so I will give a report on that.

Steve in SLO
06-09-2009, 10:38 PM
What is the secret magic ingredient in it that allows you to go 1,000+ miles between applications?
Sperm whale oil. :banana:

On a more serious note, many motorcyclists use chainsaw oil because of its anti-fling-off properties. I would think that a 1:4 mix chainsaw oil:mineral oil might work well.

Dave
06-10-2009, 07:37 AM
One key to cleanliness is frequent wiping. Any oil will migrate from inside the chain to outside, where it does no good and attractf dirt. I wipe mine after every ride and relube at about 150 mile or weekly intervals.

I don't believe that any lube can be doing any good after much more than 2-300 miles. By that time, just about any lube will be a grinding paste mixture of oil and dirt, if there's any oil left. Applying a thinned lube frequently helps to flush out the dirt.

FWIW, I tried thinned chainsaw bar oil once, but found it to be as dirty as anything I'd tried.

ejh
06-10-2009, 08:18 AM
I've been using it for about 3 weeks and so far so good, on my road bike. Have not tryed it on the mountain bike yet but that will change this weekend as I need to get ready for Nationals in July. Will let you all know after I've been on the trails.

rwsaunders
06-11-2009, 04:46 PM
The last of my free samples were sent out yesterday, so good luck gents.

Michael Maddox
06-11-2009, 05:47 PM
I have a couple free samples for those expressing interest. Just drop me a line.

Personally, I've found the keys to using Chain-L to be:
1) Less is more
2) Wipe off frequently
3) New chains are best

1000 miles? I've never tried it for certain, but I suspect a roadie might pull it off in good conditions. Frequent wiping is the key here, to prevent grit incursion, or at least reduce it. As tenacious as this stuff is, managed properly, 1000 miles might be doable. I just like futzing with the bike so much I could never leave it alone enough.

e-RICHIE
06-11-2009, 06:18 PM
i have the Chain-L No.5 on my 'cross bicycle and i am on it, at the circuit
daily, and in the coffin for at least 65-70 minutes a day. i haven't added to
the original squirt for 7 weeks at least. if you are picking up crap or your chain
appears to be a mess, you either used too much or didn't remove all of it except
what's needed atmo. the only place it needs to be is deep in the roller area. i
apply it liberally and then wipe it off and wipe it off until almost none of it stains
the rag i am using atmo. it stays where you need it to stay (and work) and is
only a pain if you are reckless with the application.

dekindy
06-13-2009, 05:55 PM
I must have done a good job of cleaning my chain prior to applying the Chain-L No. 5 and wiping of the excess lube. After a 38-mile ride there was only a very thin black film that wiped off with only a few revolutions of the pedals. The drivetrain was quiet and smooth shifting. I will give a further report on longevity. So far it is a winner.