PDA

View Full Version : non anatomic versus anatomic bars

hooverone
01-06-2005, 10:12 AM
I have only used anatomic bars for the last 10 or so years it would seem that to have the flat section while in the drops would be better than with non antamic bars having your hand resting in only 2 spots on the edges of your hand why go round when anatomic would most likely provide a more solid grip?

Is it that with the round bars you have more options on where to grab, more positions?

Here is a pic of lance with the non anatomic deda 215's shallow.

http://www.uspsprocycling.com/02news/03photos/16/16armstrong3.jpg

Also this would impact fit since the anatomic bars would create a shorter reach.

Jim

e-RICHIE
01-06-2005, 10:21 AM
ana bars are the bane (sp?) of my existance...

when they were intro'ed, it was this "new & improved" crap
that the industry loves to push. before you know it, they became
"spec" on 106% of all factory bikes. in the wake of this, h'bar
companies made fewer and fewer "real" h'bars because aftermarket
sales are really minute compared to the real deal" OEM.

i argued for years with makers about the scarcity of older shaped
h'bars, always pointing to the pros as examples of those "still"
using these shapes; bartoli, lance, musseuw, virenque, and scores
of others. the replies were almost always, " once a year we make
the stash for the pros because they use non-ana h'bars mostly...,
and then we resume making what sells.".

forget the rest of the story; i'm giving myself agita just reliving
this issue...

jerk
01-06-2005, 10:27 AM
the jerk has said it before and will say it again. anatomic bars suck....the shifter shapes built around anatomic bars suck.....the only people who like them either have never used round bars or never ride in the drops.....the jerk wants to send a cinelli 65 and a 66 and maybe even a 64 to china and tell'em to make the jerk a hundred of the stinking things in modern clamp diameters....the only rule is they weight at least 240grams...carbon aluminum, berylium the jerk doesn't care.
rant over
jerk

e-RICHIE
01-06-2005, 10:28 AM
the jerk is not a jerk

coylifut
01-06-2005, 10:31 AM
...that do the endurance events such as the points race and especially the madison have switched over to anotomic road bars. Of course, they spend a higher % of time than roadies do on the drops and threrfore, may prefer the flat section. The trackies that don't use an anotomic bar, tend to use a road bar and tilt it so that they have a long flat section anyway. Some folks don't like the way the anotomics look and are governed by more form over function. I've used both and have no real preference.

e-RICHIE
01-06-2005, 10:33 AM
"... have switched over to anotomic road bars."

because you can hardly find the real goods anymore.

Ray
01-06-2005, 10:35 AM
The problem with anatomics is that you get one very nice hand position instead of the three you have with traditional drops. With a rounded drop and a longish flat section at the bottom, you can ride with your hands on the flat sections, back near the bar end, at the front of the flat section and slightly into the hooks, or all the way up in the hooks. I use each of these positions in different situations. I'm not sure I can explain exactly where I use each because it happens rather instinctively, but I definitely use them all. With most anatomic bars, you have a nice approximation of that middle position (although with less reach) but lose the other two positions. That works for some people, but never has for me. And I'm about as different from a pro racer as the human race has yet produced, so I don't think it's about emulating what the pros ride.

My bar of choice is a narrow nitto dirt drop, no longer in production. It's a normal drop (fairly long and deep), 42cm c-c at the hoods, but the flats at the bottom flare out about 6-7 degrees - the flare doesn't begin until the bottom of the hook. This flare is wonderful, gives you more leverege when you're standing and jamming over a small hill in the drops and your arms clear the corners of the bars above really easily. I also find the slightly flared position much more natural when just cruising along into a head wind than a straight front to back bar. I've been hording these for the past few years - never found anything else that even comes close.

-Ray

coylifut
01-06-2005, 10:43 AM
"... have switched over to anotomic road bars."

because you can hardly find the real goods anymore.

We had a team of New Zealanders rip up our track all last summer and I noticed they were riding Dolan track bikes with anotomic road bars. Now I know, what I suspected all along, that it was a Kiwi conspiracy to agitate e-Richie.

hooverone
01-06-2005, 10:45 AM
Do you think they were using anatomic bars just because they are more easily available?

Jim

cpg
01-06-2005, 10:47 AM
Nitto bars solve the problem. Weight? Don't know. Don't care. If one doesn't earn a living racing bikes, why would anyone else? Save the additional weight on your wheels. No wait, look down at your gut. Can you pinch something? If not, go ahead and put on those ugly bars that are marginally lighter. If you can grab a little flab, ride more and do it on comfy, classically styled bars. Nitto or like the Jerk mentioned those old Cinellis.

Curt

saab2000
01-06-2005, 10:53 AM
The Jerk's idea of having a modern version of a Cinelli 65 or 66 made is in fact my idea!!! I have thought of this! Use modern aluminum though. But the old Cinelli aluminum was OK, I guess, because it never broke.

I would love to see a version of a 65-like bar made which will accept the Campy Ergo levers. Yes, I know it can be made to work, but the fact is that it is a big compromise.

The 65s are my all-time faves with the 66s a close second. Most of my riding is now on a bike with Chorus Ergos mounted onto Cinelli 66-42 bars.

I once used a set of TTT ergo bars which at first seemed cool, then with time seemed less and less cool. Then I went back to the Cinellis and wondered how I could ever think that something else was cool.

On one of my bikes I have an ITM semi-ergo bar. They have a modest non-round shape which is, IMHO, acceptable. Basically I agree with Mr. Jerk and Mr. e-Richie that round bars are the way to go.

PanTerra
01-06-2005, 11:02 AM
After 20 years of riding with the non-anatomical bars I switched to anatomical. Before the switch, it was just too uncomfortable to ride in the drops for much more than a minute or two. If I set the bar up to be comfortable on the hoods I had three uncomfortable positions in the drops, if I wanted to be able to reach the brakes. To get a comphy positions in the drops I would have to pitch the bars differently anytime I wanted to spend a little more time in them. Since that was not really an option, I didn't ride in the drops much. Now with the anatomical bars, I can dial it in for the hoods and the drops feel great. For me they work great and I would not switch back. Just like I wouldn't switch back to down tube shifters.

e-RICHIE
01-06-2005, 11:03 AM
3-4 years ago i bought the remaing n.a. stock of
3T non-ana bars in all widths, weights, and drops,
this, to ensure i could continue spec-ing my bicycles
the way i thought they "should" be. i still have lots!

alas, in the wake of all this, our 04 team sponsor has
re-issued the classic h'bar in question. from this
point forward i am committed to www.ovalconcepts.com
because they make excellant quality components
(i.e. forged rather than cnc-ed stems...) and they
heard the plea for better shaped h'bars and answered
the call.

there is a god.

Big Dan
01-06-2005, 11:04 AM
We had this topic not too long ago. I understand Richie-ssimo, Señor Jerk and Curt having a problems with them, but for Shimano 9 sp riders the anatomic bars work.... :D
Right now I use the Ritchey anatomics, if the shifters keep changing who knows what I'll use then..... :confused: The classic drops are great, but riding in traffic stopping and going the anatomic bars shine.......... :D
For high speed pacelines...give me classic bend...

Thanks

Big Dan....supporting steel , anti-doping and anatomic bars (for now)... :D

pbbob
01-06-2005, 12:14 PM
I'm with curt et al on this one. my nitto 115's were just put on the new bike today and will pick it up this pm. there really was no question of using anything else.

LegendRider
01-06-2005, 12:39 PM
I just ordered the Easton EC90 Equipe Pro handlebar - modern materials and clamp size, traditional design - seems like a winner to me.

Climb01742
01-06-2005, 02:20 PM
how do the nitto 115s differ from the 184s?

and richie, could you post a photo of the oval bars (on a bike is a-ok), because i can't connect to the oval link you gave. thanks muchly.

e-RICHIE
01-06-2005, 02:33 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/vuelta04/index.php?id=stage15/17

and click "bars" here:
http://www.ovalconcepts.com/products/index.html

e-RICHIE
01-06-2005, 02:40 PM
http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/040916/3/6jps.html

Climb01742
01-06-2005, 02:49 PM
merci, richie-issimo.

palincss
01-06-2005, 04:51 PM
3-4 years ago i bought the remaing n.a. stock of
3T non-ana bars in all widths, weights, and drops,
this, to ensure i could continue spec-ing my bicycles
the way i thought they "should" be. i still have lots!

the call.

there is a god.

Can't argue whether there is or not, but one thing for sure: I looked on the ovalconcepts web site and one thing I could not find was anything resembling a plain old ordinary non-anatomic drop bar. In fact, at first glance, the handlebars all looked like some kind of roof racks.

There is, of course, always Nitto. The 176 is a very nice traditionally shaped drop bar.

e-RICHIE
01-06-2005, 05:04 PM
www.ovalconcepts.com

go to
products
road
bars

look at pictures

thesource
01-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Deep inside a cavernous vault, in the Golden state, remain bountiful stocks of select non-ana bars from times past. Primas, TDFs, GPs, as well as their more glorious brothers, the 64's, 65's and 66's all lie there, awaiting the call to duty.

Should a warrior wish to arm for battle in a manner that is true to himself, he needs only ... to ask.

e-RICHIE
01-06-2005, 05:24 PM
"he needs only ... to ask."

...and be prepared to answer,
"will that be cash or charge?"

e-RICHIE
01-06-2005, 05:28 PM
here's a pic:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bobbesrs/detail?.dir=1cba&.dnm=6406.jpg&.src=ph

Climb01742
01-06-2005, 08:58 PM
Deep inside a cavernous vault, in the Golden state, remain bountiful stocks of select non-ana bars from times past. Primas, TDFs, GPs, as well as their more glorious brothers, the 64's, 65's and 66's all lie there, awaiting the call to duty.

Should a warrior wish to arm for battle in a manner that is true to himself, he needs only ... to ask.

care to be 47% less cryptic? perhaps 53% more details? merci. :rolleyes:

e-RICHIE
01-06-2005, 09:02 PM
yeah what climb said.

musgravecycles
01-06-2005, 09:13 PM
I used the ITM Pro 260 for several years, but recently switched back to round bars. I've been running the Deda 215 deep drop bar and love it. They also make a shallow drop 215 that that Lance and other pro's have been using (the Newton is just a bit light for me, but also comes in anatomic and 2 round versions). Deda's anatomic bar is just about the worst out there but their round bars are great for what it's worth.

Peter
01-06-2005, 09:47 PM
I've used traditional bars for 30 years. Last year I wanted to try wider bars. I couldn't find a "normal" bar; everything being offered was anatomic. So I bought a pair.

Don't like 'em, but I'm too cheap to give them up even if I COULD find a pair of traditional bars.

You see, the location/angle of the flat section on the drops DICTATES where your hands must go. A "round" bar is MUCH more versatile/adaptable in that you can grab the drops where it's natural for YOU relative to your reach, wrist flexibility, and comfort. And the round, drop section places your hands closer to the levers; I run non-integrated brake levers and the anatomics make it a stretch to grab them while on the drops.

Anatomic bars address a problem that never existed. And even if they did, they didn't have to completely eliminate the availability of standard bars. You watch; they'll be a marketing reintroduction of standard bars in a couple years...

e-RICHIE
01-06-2005, 09:53 PM
"Anatomic bars address a problem that never existed."

welcome to the bicycle industry

"...they'll be a marketing reintroduction of standard bars in a couple years."

they are; see my earlier posts.

PanTerra
01-06-2005, 10:08 PM
I've used traditional bars for 30 years. Last year I wanted to try wider bars. I couldn't find a "normal" bar; everything being offered was anatomic. So I bought a pair.

Don't like 'em, but I'm too cheap to give them up even if I COULD find a pair of traditional bars.

You see, the location/angle of the flat section on the drops DICTATES where your hands must go.

Really? Were you looking at bars that were fused to the stem? If not you can pitch the bars where ever you want to dial in a custom fit. Once you do that, put the brake levers exactly where you want them. You have complete freedom to choose your own fit.

A "round" bar is MUCH more versatile/adaptable in that you can grab the drops where it's natural for YOU relative to your reach, wrist flexibility, and comfort. And the round, drop section places your hands closer to the levers; I run non-integrated brake levers and the anatomics make it a stretch to grab them while on the drops....

Since my hands were not curved like the bar, it was very uncomfortable, and the reach has never been a problem. I don't have wee little hands. I have tried the fit on some bars, and the flat section was just a little too short. That was uncomfortable as well.

Anatomic bars address a problem that never existed. And even if they did, they didn't have to completely eliminate the availability of standard bars. You watch; they'll be a marketing reintroduction of standard bars in a couple years...

After 20 years it was a welcomed change for me. But yeah, you can probably expect an up-charge for this new curved esoteric retro-style elite bar. :crap:

thesource
01-07-2005, 12:17 AM
yeah what climb said.
e-RICHIE, you've been, in a manner of speaking, to the vault.

It's keeper is your friend. Of him, you need only ... to ask again.

Climb01742
01-07-2005, 05:05 AM
richie, sounds like you have the secret decoder ring. ;)

e-RICHIE
01-07-2005, 06:22 AM
the only guy i can remotely think
of would not make this error:

"It's keeper is your friend."

ergo, i am stymied!

Tom
01-07-2005, 07:07 AM
I bought bars with a flat section because of what the original poster said. I could never find a really comfortable spot in the drops. I ride in the drops nearly all the time now that my hands don't get squeezed and grow uncomfortable.

On the other hand, one wonders what would have happened if I had done my situps, rolled my hips forward and tried gloves that had less material to them. Maybe I hang on to the bike better?

Don't tell me that nonsense about real men don't wear gloves, neither. I sweat like a pig and slide all over the place without something grippy on my palms. I have to wear gloves on the trainer, even, because otherwise I have such a death grip on the bars my arms'll cramp up in 20 minutes.

Len J
01-07-2005, 07:37 AM
I have Anaotomic bars (Nitto 184 STI) that give me two great positions in the drops, on the flat anaotomic angled section, where I can easily get to the brakes, and on the flats on the bottom. I ride in the drops at least 1/3 rd of the time, and on some rides more. Of course, I have my bars set about 4cm below my saddle (so higher than racers).

The two things I don't get are:

1.) The comment: "People that have anatomical bars don't ride in the drops much, they can't cause they are too uncomfortable." The Nitto's are very comfortable for me. I end up in the drops for extended periods. I basically rotate between 4 or 5 positions throughout the ride, (Full on hoods, on top of hoods, on bar top short of hoods (since theat area is flat on the Nitto's) anatomic part of drops, and flat part of drops.) Where does this comment come from? When I had the Richie WCS bars that were'nt flat through the anaotimc part but had this "ergo bump", I didn't like the feel of it and avoided using it. But since I got the flat Nitto's, It's Muy comfortable.

2.) How can anyone find putting their hands on the curved part of the drop on the old "Non-anotomic " bars comfortable (The position necessary to reach the brakes from the drops)? Like I said in the heading, I must have weird hands, but since I first started riding back in 1972, I have always found this hand position, incredibly uncomfortable. and hence to be avoided at all costs.

What am I missing?

Len

sspielman
01-07-2005, 07:49 AM
Handlebars are like shoes and saddles. The best bend is strictly a matter of style and preference. To say that a certain bend of bar is best is tantamount to saying that everyone should wear size 43 Carnac Quartz shoes. Personally, I prefer a medium drop bar with a traditional bend and not too much reach. However, I do not object at all to the ergo bends offered by ITM and Deda...I do not like the 3TTT ergo bend. Chacun a son gout.

dirtdigger88
01-07-2005, 10:46 AM
I would never claim to know as much as e-richie or the jerk but this time I have to say I am with Len J. I will admit that I have limited time on non-anatomic bars as of late- it has been since I was in college (11 years ago). I like my anatomic bars or should I say that I am indifferent. I can ride on the tops (near the stem) I put my hands on the curved part before the hoods- I ride on the hoods- I ride on the bend (the infamous anatomic part) and I ride on the flat part of the drops. I am probably in the drops 1/3 of the time as well. I can find comfortable positions on my bars- not to say that I could not find them on non anatomic but if it aint broke why fix it? Maybe it is because I use STI brifters- which as I understand from this thread is the reason the anatomic bars were created-no? I just think that it is hard to argue contact points on a bike- pedals, bars, saddle- they are all so very personal. Now that said if someone can tell be a bar that has a simular reach and drop as my ITM Melleniums with a non anatomic bend that they are willing to let me try to make an honest judgement I am all over that. Let me know

Jason

e-RICHIE
01-07-2005, 10:52 AM
there is a phrase i read once and i take it out of
context whenever i have the chance:

"capitalism has a way of absorbing the marginal into the mainstream..."

or something to that affect.

i have no real problem with ana bars other than
what i have stated; it bugs me that the lowest
common denominator is the market-driven-ness
of it all, to the extent that makers ceased offering
other types due to the O.E.M. sales dictating the
fashion trends, EVEN THOUGH the top racers have
been using "curved" h'bars all along.

i'm done!

Len J
01-07-2005, 11:26 AM
your problem isn't with anatomic bars per se, rather it's that nothing else is made.

....and also the reasons why nothing else is made.

Got it.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Len

e-RICHIE
01-07-2005, 11:45 AM
yeah what len said!

sspielman
01-07-2005, 11:58 AM
What seems to happen alot of times (and I assume with traditional bend bars) is that a distributor *assumes* that there will be no demand for a particular item. Therefore, he does not stock it or list it. Of course, he doesn't receive any orders for it because it is assumed to be unavailable. Meanwhile, at ground zero, we poor consumers suffer along with anatomical bars...because that is all that is available. The manufacturers are forced to develop even more new products to fill the void. God help us! By next year all that may be available is those "moustache" bars!

e-RICHIE
01-07-2005, 12:03 PM
it's an O.E.M. vs aftermarket sales issue.
O.E.M. accounts for nearly all sales of the
part while aftermarket is a blip.
that's the cliffsnotes version...

Ray
01-07-2005, 12:03 PM
your problem isn't with anatomic bars per se, rather it's that nothing else is made.

....and also the reasons why nothing else is made.

Got it.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Len
Very much like the position that DBRK almost always espouses (and which I agree with completely, BTW), which is not that there's anything wrong with race bikes at all, but that they shouldn't be the only choice out there or even the predominant choice/presumption when going to buy a road bike. I think a lot of folks interpret his missives to mean that EVERYONE should ride the French/Rivendell position, when all he's really saying is that those types of options should be equally available.

Not that Douglas needs any help getting the point across ;)

-Ray

victoryfactory
01-07-2005, 12:36 PM
I agree with tom and lenj and others who like the anatomic bars.

I have large hands, and since 1974 had been suffering with the old
Cinelli style round drops.
My first pair of TTT forma bars was a REVELATION!!!
No more pain! Total comfort! much more riding in the drops.

Caveat:

There are lot's of different shapes out there, try first or you may find yourself
in the camp with the luddites. Do some "hands-on" research.

VF, some change is good, not all innovation is marketing hype.
(some of it sure is, though)

ericmurphy
01-07-2005, 02:28 PM
the jerk has said it before and will say it again. anatomic bars suck....the shifter shapes built around anatomic bars suck.....the only people who like them either have never used round bars or never ride in the drops.....the jerk wants to send a cinelli 65 and a 66 and maybe even a 64 to china and tell'em to make the jerk a hundred of the stinking things in modern clamp diameters....the only rule is they weight at least 240grams...carbon aluminum, berylium the jerk doesn't care.
rant over
jerk

I started using anatomic bars about 15 years ago, when I bought a bike with a set installed (hey, I was young and foolish and didn't know any better). I remember thinking at the time, hey, what a great idea. But I hadn't ridden a bike with regular bars in about eight years at that point, so I didn't have much of a basis for comparison.

I went recently from an early 90s Modolo bar to a WCS bar, which is more aggressively "anatomic," but didn't notice much difference in feel (although I don't really like the looks of the WCS bar).

But my question, posed in all sincerety to e-Rich and senor J, is what about anatomic bars don't you like? Is it the reduction in the number of comfortable hand positions when in the drops? Is it the looks? Is it the way the flat section feels under the palm?

Just curious. I don't think I have a strong preference either way (although I do prefer the look of non-anatomic bars).

wheelworks
01-07-2005, 04:23 PM
Take a look at the Modolo Curvissima. It has a continuous bend.

saab2000
01-07-2005, 04:35 PM
I have a set of the Modolos pictured. I basically do not dislike them, but they are not as good (for me at least) as I had thought they would be. Riding on the tops is pretty comfy I will admit. But since most of my riding is spent doing out-of-the-saddle, in-the-drops 37 mph sprints riding on the tops is a moot point......... :bike:

They have a bit of a Cinelli 65-like curve to them but the drop is too shallow and the reach is too small. I do like the cable routing, though, and they seem stiff, though I have no data to support this impression.

They are certainly stupid light! But I have not broken them yet. Anyway, I will keep using them because they were too expensive to park just yet! I think that the Zipp carbons look pretty good.

But in my opinion carbon bars are a colossal waste of money - hardly lighter and arguably less strong, all for less money. As the saying goes, "they are not as good, but at least they cost more!"

palincss
01-08-2005, 04:20 PM
The two things I don't get are:

[snip]

2.) How can anyone find putting their hands on the curved part of the drop on the old "Non-anotomic " bars comfortable (The position necessary to reach the brakes from the drops)? Like I said in the heading, I must have weird hands, but since I first started riding back in 1972, I have always found this hand position, incredibly uncomfortable. and hence to be avoided at all costs.

What am I missing?

Len

I use traditional curved bars exclusively, and find I cannot stand so-called "anatomic" bars at all. The positions I use are: on the top close to the stem; on top farther out (with 46 cm bars, I have a good bit of room up there); on the "ramp" but not on top of the brake lever; on the brake hoods; and on the "flat" at the end of the bar. I almost never ride in the curved part. I also never, ever brake from that position. I do all my braking from the top of the brake hoods.

So-called "anatomic" bars have so short an end section you can't ride there. Typically the "ramp" on them isn't a comfortable place, and in order to be able to ride on the so called anatomical section (which doesn't fit my hands either) the brake levers are pushed higher up on the bar, thereby making the "on the hoods" position less comfortable as well. And all that I've looked at have less space on the top as well. So what am I left with? Basically, no comfortable positions at all.

Plus, they're ugly, so every time I look down I get a little zinger of displeasure.

Dave
01-08-2005, 06:10 PM
I use most of the positions described by palincss, except I never place my hands at the ends of the bars and I ride in the bend near the brakes (hook section) a lot. I ride long mountain climbs and long mountain descents. The only safe way to ride winding mountain descents is with your fingers in reach of the brakes in the hook section of the bars. I've never found a conventional bar that was comfortable in this position because the bar is curved and my hand isn't.

On really long descents the wrong angle of the hand (with the fingers in reach of the brakes) becomes apparent quite quickly.

I've found the Deda 215 bar to have a nice angle, but the straight portion is too shallow to accomodate even my small hands. The ITM continually curving bend is better. The no longer made Easton EC-90 bars have a roomy and nicely angled anatomic section.

My current favorite bar is the Salsa Poco. I needed the short reach and the angle of the anatomic "bump" is perfect for long descents, IF the bars are rotated up about 15 degree, to eliminate the "ramp down" from the top of the bars to the brake hoods. They look a bit odd rotated up this much, but the angle is perfect for desecending or serious hammering in the drops (as in a crit).

dts
01-10-2005, 09:23 AM
the call.

there is a god.

I can't find any non-ana drop bar from Oval Concepts on their website or elsewhere. Unless I'm missing it, the only drop bar on their website is the R950, a carbon bar whose description includes: "the ergo bump in the drops follows your hand’s contour to fit comfortably in your palm, and offers increased control." So maybe their marketing hasn't caught up with their product?

Is the non-ana bar you write of carbon or metal?
Is it double-grooved for Campy?
What does it cost?
And who sells them solo?

e-RICHIE
01-10-2005, 09:50 AM
somewhere else on this thread i put the steps
to link to the bars. they're in 3 widths and 2
drop dimensions and are double-grooved. i sell
them on my bikes and the importers are QBP,
KHS, and 1-2 others. ask your lbs to find out more.

hooverone
01-10-2005, 01:38 PM
Well I think I am going to buy some non anatomic bars deda 215 shallow drop and see how they are, I just realized when riding this weekend I have been riding with my anatomic bars and I do not really like any of the hand positions while in the drops well there is really only one position on my anatomic bars so I am going to order some non anatomic bars and who knows maybe the round bars should actually be called anatomic.....

Jim

e-RICHIE
01-10-2005, 01:47 PM
i use the drops about 5% of the time;
sprinting, and that sorta stuff. i'm surprised
how many use that "area" for so much of
their bikin'. one man's ceiling...

jerk
01-10-2005, 02:06 PM
see and the jerk spends alot of time there. 30-40% the jerk'd guess but it depends on the conditions etc. suffice it to say if you look at the pictures of the discovery team issue madones in todays cyclingnews.com, the jerk's prophecy has come true. the bars on those bikes are not anatomic nor are they anything like anything appearing in bontrager's line-up for us mortals.....
but what does the jerk know anyway......
jerk

e-RICHIE
01-10-2005, 02:14 PM
30-40%????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mon dieu*

*french for: my dieu.

Timoteo
01-10-2005, 06:46 PM
I'm with Jerk on this one. Just wish I had the insight to have bought a supply old cinellis when they were still around. Now, I am stuck with the anatoms and missing the long bottoms while in the drops. Time just did a similar thing with their great equipe pedals. Impacts were bogus from the get go. I never bought a pair, cuz they just looked too wimpy. Now, what, a couple years later, they do another redesign??? I had the insight on this one and have a nice stash of equipes.... Now, if I can just find some a nice forged stem that doesn't brake the bank...

Tim

e-RICHIE
01-10-2005, 06:51 PM
go to the window and SCREAM:

i'm mad as hell and i'm not going to take it anymore.

fr the film "Network"

Big Dan
01-10-2005, 07:25 PM
Sorry but my last memory of the old Cinelli bars was one breaking right on the sleeve...........ouch... :eek:

maybe the grass is always greener on the other side after all....... :p

dts
01-10-2005, 10:43 PM
somewhere else on this thread i put the steps
to link to the bars. they're in 3 widths and 2
drop dimensions and are double-grooved. i sell
them on my bikes and the importers are QBP,
KHS, and 1-2 others. ask your lbs to find out more.

Will do. I tried, R, I really tried for a long time to follow the directions on your earlier thread. Wasted my morning ride hour, in fact, and still could not find the way. Looks like a fine manufacturer of handlebars. Darned incompetent designer of web sites. If others had better luck, please post a direct link to the page.

don compton
01-11-2005, 12:36 AM
dear members,
have any of you considered ritchey classic bars. their bend is truly classic and non-anatomic. however, the bend allows for a better fit of current levers.
sincerely,don c. :beer:

medici
01-11-2005, 03:05 AM
Take a look at the Modolo Curvissima. It has a continuous bend.

OK, I hesitate to ask, has anyone tried the highly molded and contoured carbon bars, like the FSA K-wing or the IRD B2? I spend most of my time on the tops of the bars and all that hand-friendly contouring seduces my XL hands.

And how do you wrap bars that are so large on on the bar tops? Seems it would almost get clumsy big, but they have to be wrapped (XL sweaty hands).

Pete

93legendti
01-11-2005, 09:03 AM
Lance looks like he's ready to ride anatomics again this year:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=photos/2005/news/jan05/discovery/cimg2108

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=photos/2005/news/jan05/discovery/cimg2096

hooverone
01-11-2005, 09:38 AM
Well on the 2nd photo it says even more brontrager thrown in, notice no deda newton stem and handlebars those are brontrager bars and stem, most likely he had no choice and had to use those bars, he is most likely missing his old non anatomic bars.

Jim

93legendti
01-11-2005, 09:47 AM
While on the trainer yesterday and the day before, I was watching the final climbs on the 1rst 2 mountain stages of the 2004 TDF. Lance was riding anatomic bars, Deda's I think. They can also be seen thru out the Cycle Sport September 2004 issue. No bid deal, just not sure why the "Lance hates anatomics" statement originated. (I think Lance decides what he wants, not vice versa...)

hooverone
01-11-2005, 10:01 AM
I have no idea what lance likes but from most of the photos I have seen he is using the non anatomic deda bars, and since he now has brontrager stem and bars on his new bike or at least what it looks like, brontrager does not seem to make a non anatomic bar according to their site.

http://www.bontrager.com/bars/

Jim

93legendti
01-11-2005, 10:08 AM
http://www.bontrager.com/bars/detail.asp?id=194&pt=2

http://www.bontrager.com/bars/detail.asp?id=36&pt=2

http://www.bontrager.com/bars/detail.asp?id=37&pt=2

93legendti
01-11-2005, 10:15 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tour04.php?id=photos/2004/tour04/stage12/JD_tdf04_stg12_4

jerk
01-11-2005, 10:45 AM
that is a presentation bicycle with little or anything to do with the team issue model. here's the front end of the team bike....check out the number holder and the non-anatomic bar.

e-RICHIE
01-11-2005, 10:52 AM
i think those are smart looking bicycles.

93legendti
01-11-2005, 11:13 AM
:D

GONE4ARIDE
01-11-2005, 11:48 AM
that is a presentation bicycle with little or anything to do with the team issue model. here's the front end of the team bike....check out the number holder and the non-anatomic bar.

Maybe it's the angle of the photo, but the bars on the team bike are what I would call a semi-anatomic. Along the same lines as an ITM Millenium or a Modolo Curvissimo. They do not appear to be a true classic bend like Lance's old Deda 215's or say a Ritchey WCS Classic.

We'll see what's on their bikes when the season gets underway. I wouldn't doubt that we'll a number of true classic bend bars mounted on the Discovery boys bikes.

e-RICHIE
01-11-2005, 01:07 PM
kevin livingston liked non-anatomic bars too.

http://www.lancearmstrong.com/lance/online2.nsf/Docs/1F3CB1BB2BFE479D86256C3D0012BFC0

slowgoing
01-11-2005, 01:17 PM
Looks pretty anatomical to me.

Oh, the bars!

Elmer
01-11-2005, 01:44 PM
Like several of the people responding to this topic, I am very fond of the "classic" type of bars. When building my new Steelman - I knew I did not want an ana bar only because I knew what I liked in the past. I was worried that these would not have enough of a "drop", but once set-up, I found them to offer a variety of hand positions and to be very comfortable over the long haul.

csb
01-11-2005, 02:06 PM
i gotta agree with the guy who likes red... those trek
team bikes look pretty sharp.

jerks pic also shows how different the levers are positioned,
with more of a flat area (campy like) up on the hoods.

PaulE
01-11-2005, 03:37 PM
I wouldn't mind a non-ana bar if I could get one with a drop curved as generously as Bartali's in this post from last week.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=6021

But the non-ana bars currently available seem to be for tiny mitts. I can't even get my mitts into the curve of the drop on the non-ana bars I've come across. Of course if I could get traditional bars with a nice big curve in the drop, I might not like the reach to my STI levers.

Another gripe is the availability of 46 cm bars measured center to center in any shape, and bars that are silver instead of black.

I'm happy with my Salsa Road Pro ana bars, but they would be perfect if the flat bottom part was longer so I could put my hands there as well.

BarryG
01-11-2005, 04:50 PM
I'm happy with my Salsa Road Pro ana bars . . .

Speaking of Sahl-Sah, they're Estrada bars are mui non-anatomico http://www.salsacycles.com/comps_handlebars.html

blifford
01-13-2005, 08:13 AM
just thought I'd weigh in on this...

I've called almost every handlebar manufacturer inquiring about how I could get the round bars the pros use. Most of them say the round bars are fabricated just for the pros and that no extras are made available for sale.

However, there are some round bars available:

1. Easton has a carbon round bar, the Equipe Pro.
2. Ritchey has an aluminum WCS classic and I believe also acarbon round bar for 2005. They have a downloadable PDF catalog that lists it, I'm pretty sure.
3. Deda makes the Newton and the 215 in round. (might be called "strada" bend) I believe they also have a deep drop round bend called "belgian" or "classic"
4. ITM makes a strada bend, shallow drop road bar too. it is the model which says 7075 on the front.

the deda and the itm i found in the Quality book. The others I found online.

bill (cliffy)

e-RICHIE
01-13-2005, 08:16 AM
"Most of them say the round bars are fabricated just for the pros..."

just as i said in the second post, eh?!
what an industry.
i'm getting agitated again.

Keith A
01-13-2005, 03:20 PM
I know there has been a lot of discussion about this topic -- and I haven't through it all yet (I'm just getting back in the swing of things around here) but I wanted to add my opnion on this topic.

I have tried many of the anatomic designs and I have yet to find one that is as comfortable to ME as the shallow drop round bars. I don't have large hands, so the shallow drop doesn't cause me any problems, which could be an issue if you had big hands. My personal favorite is the Deda 215 shallow drop closely followed by the Ritchey WCS Classic. Several mail order places carry the Ritchey bar, and I've order my Deda 215's from Licktons (http://www.lickbike.com). However, I see that Air Bomb (http://store.airbomb.com/) has this listed in their on-line catalog.

Let's hope that more manufactures get onboard with this old technology.

Tom
01-13-2005, 03:43 PM
So, maybe my problem with n-a bars and paws jammed into the curves is really because my stem is too short? No, seriously - if my reach were further out maybe riding the flat part back of the curve would be more comfy? I like the flat part of a-bars cuz I am reached out and can pull on the things when I want to pound a rhythm.

Or maybe I'm just confused cause its winter and I haven't ridden anywhere in a while and I'm getting sick of the Snow Eating Fog and I'm ready to move to the Sierras and either freeze to death or turn into a cannibal.

wheelworks
01-13-2005, 05:05 PM
Easton makes an Alu EA70 pro bend Handle bar along with the Carbon handle bar

Keith A
01-13-2005, 05:22 PM
You are correct about Easton's EA70 bars, however this is a deeper drop bar than the EC90 Equipe Pro Composite. Easton doesn't have the specs of the aluminum bar on their website, but I inquired the company about this and they e-mailed me the specs. I have this data at work if anyone is interested and can post it tomorrow.

oldmill
01-13-2005, 07:09 PM
OK. Hold on here. So far we've heard a lot about the proliferation of anatomic bars at the expense of non-anatomics, but which NA bars besides the Cinellis are hard to get? We have Ritchey, Deda and Nitto offering NAs -- hardly flea-market finds, those. So what's the problem here besides the beef with Cinelli? Sure, most of the fully-built bikes offered out there come with anatomics, but who isn't specifying their bars when they're ordering a Serotta, Sachs, IF etc.? And it may be the case the case that a lot of people do, in general, find the anatomics more comfortable, which would suggest it's not a matter of marketers cramming a product down reluctant riders' throats. I personally think the Nitto Noodles I have are more beautiful but_far_ less comfortable in the drops than the Ritchey BioMax bars I have on my cyclocross bike (and it's more of an effort to reach to the brakes in the Noodles). But each will stay on its respective rig and that's the point. There IS a choice.

93legendti
01-14-2005, 09:36 AM
When I bought my Easton non anatomic bars they must have thought I was a pro. :rolleyes:

Discovery on anatomic bars:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features.php?id=photos/2005/news/jan05/discoverytraining/P1010038

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features.php?id=photos/2005/news/jan05/discoverytraining/P1010061

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features.php?id=photos/2005/news/jan05/discoverytraining/P1010036

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features.php?id=photos/2005/news/jan05/discoverytraining/P1010055

dirtdigger88
01-14-2005, 09:52 AM
legendti-guy

I see some N/A bars in that group----

jason

93legendti
01-14-2005, 09:54 AM
Oh? Can you also see anatomic bars? The point is that someone in this thread prophesized that Discovery would not ride anatomics...false. Someone else said round bars are fabricated only for pros...false.

dirtdigger88
01-14-2005, 10:02 AM
4th bike on the right
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features.php?id=photos/2005/news/jan05/discoverytraining/P1010061

front bike on right
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features.php?id=photos/2005/news/jan05/discoverytraining/P1010055

jason

93legendti
01-14-2005, 10:23 AM
Congratualtions, you must be good at finding needles in haystacks and deciding the glass is half empty. :rolleyes:

Keith A
01-14-2005, 10:24 AM
Here's the specs that the Easton rep sent me...
"The reach and drop for the EA70 pro bar is 76mm and 152mm, respectively." as compared to the 75mm reach and 130mm drop on the EC90 Equipe Pro Composite bar. So the EA70 has a similar shape, but 22mm more drop than the EC90.

dirtdigger88
01-14-2005, 10:34 AM
Congratualtions, you must be good at finding needles in haystacks and deciding the glass is half empty. :rolleyes:

naw- I just enjoy getting under your skin- for what it is worth I ride ITM Melliniums- which I consider to be semi anatomical

jason

93legendti
01-14-2005, 11:39 AM
Don't flatter yourself. You are quite amusing. I enjoy all of the internet experts who say silly things to get attention.

dirtdigger88
01-14-2005, 11:46 AM
Don't flatter yourself. You are quite amusing. I enjoy all of the internet experts who say silly things to get attention.

please explain to me how my pointing out that a couple of those bike have round bars is a silly thing to get attention. you want silly- how bout if I tell you that you suffer from little mans syndrome and you run you mouth to compensate. :beer:

jason

csb
01-14-2005, 12:19 PM
... dirt was pointing out the crack in the glass

admin
01-14-2005, 12:35 PM
please explain to me how my pointing out that a couple of those bike have round bars is a silly thing to get attention. you want silly- how bout if I tell you that you suffer from little mans syndrome and you run you mouth to compensate. :beer:

jason

Be nice kids.

dirtdigger88
01-14-2005, 12:37 PM

jason

sorry alyson- that was actually the nicest thing I could think of to say-

jason

Climb01742
01-14-2005, 12:47 PM

the thing i notice about the bars the jerk pictured was this...it allows for a very flat ramp to the hoods...which i dig. i wish more bars allowed this...deda shallow drop 215s or neutons, sadly, don't...but the easton carbon pro's look like they might well.

jerk
01-14-2005, 01:20 PM
they look nice!
jerk

wheelworks
01-14-2005, 01:44 PM
Climb,

Check out the Modolo Alu version of the curvissimo

sspielman
01-14-2005, 01:47 PM
Interesting.....Modolo is now offering the Curvissimo with a somewhat traditional bend.....and they are the company that first introduced the anatomic bend bars...and once upon a time even held a patent on them...

Climb01742
01-14-2005, 07:56 PM
thanks, ww...i dig (and own) the carbon curvissimo...hopefully the alu ones are cheaper...but then some cars are cheaper. :rolleyes:

Keith A
01-14-2005, 09:52 PM
I've been curious in the Curvissima since they came out, but I'm not interested in paying the price for the carbon model. I did a quick search for the aluminum model, but was not able to find them. Does anyone know were they can be purchased?

Edit: One thing I just noticed is that the Curvissima's reach is 10mm longer than the Deda 215's, so you would need to adjust your stem length for the Curvissima.

Ti-Boy
01-15-2005, 05:12 AM
This bar seems to be as far from traditional as one can get. Anyone have any experience with it? I'm very seriously considering getting one, but can't pull the trigger on spending that much $ site unseen.

wheelworks
01-16-2005, 12:46 PM
I've been curious in the Curvissima since they came out, but I'm not interested in paying the price for the carbon model. I did a quick search for the aluminum model, but was not able to find them. Does anyone know were they can be purchased?

Edit: One thing I just noticed is that the Curvissima's reach is 10mm longer than the Deda 215's, so you would need to adjust your stem length for the Curvissima.

Keith,

The importer (Ibex Sports) brings the Alu into the US. IF you contact James he can tell you were you can purchase one. We stock them so let us know if you want one.

WW