PDA

View Full Version : ball-of-foot holes in my socks!

jimcav
06-08-2009, 08:32 PM
anyone else wear holes quickly in the dead center ball of the foot? i ride and run in smartwool--works great for me but i am going through them fast. wonder if i have some weird metatarsal thing or need to really tighten my shoes--specialized s-works

thanks
jim

Blue Jays
06-08-2009, 08:52 PM
I'm standardized on Smartwool for riding, running, and casual wear for many, many years.
They are incredibly durable, so I'm inclined to think there is something abrasive in your shoes and/or there is a prominence causing extra wear.
You're washing them on gentle cycle and hanging them to air dry away from direct heat?

rugbysecondrow
06-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Try a foot file and sand some of the barnacles off your feet. :)

ejh
06-09-2009, 08:55 AM
I do the same, thats all I run in and in the last 2 or 3 years it seams thet they are doing that.I still have some old S/W's that are going strong. I only do trail running, Leadville 100, and S/W's the only socks to use.

jimcav
06-09-2009, 10:56 AM
I don't have huge calouses on the ball of my foot, but i know specialized BG insoles have the metatarsal button. it has been happening for about 2 years now, and i only recently started running again--so it is something i am doing with cycling. smartwool costs enough that it is really annoying.
jim

John M
06-09-2009, 11:11 AM
anyone else wear holes quickly in the dead center ball of the foot? i ride and run in smartwool--works great for me but i am going through them fast. wonder if i have some weird metatarsal thing or need to really tighten my shoes--specialized s-works

thanks
jim

I have the same problem with my smartwools. I think that it is the carpet in my house that wears them out just walking around. The same kind of socks lasted me years when I lived in a place with wood floors.

Other than the rapid wear, I really like the feel of the smart wools.

Blue Jays
06-09-2009, 11:37 AM
There is differentiating factor happening here.
A primary SmartWool claim-to-fame advantage is how they wear like iron, yet with soft, compressive, and supportive comfort.
Definitely turn your SmartWool socks inside-out and don't use fabric softener in the wash. That coats the wool, prevents it from breathing, and weakens the fiber.
Hang drying is the best method after washing is complete.

abqhudson
06-09-2009, 12:20 PM
I'm sorry that this won't help the OP.

I've found great variation in my Smart Wool socks. Some lost the elasticity around the ankle, some wore through the bottoms fast, some wear though the heel fast, some wear like iron. I wish I could tell which were going to wear OK in advance. While I like the ones that wear well, I may be forced to look for other brands of merino wool.

YMMV.

Blue Jays
06-09-2009, 12:35 PM
abqhudson, you should place that exact sentiment in a note to SmartWool if that is what you have encountered and see what they say.
I've had only the "wears like iron" version and I'm also careful with my washing/drying method.