PDA

View Full Version : BB Help

OldDog
01-06-2005, 09:10 AM
Today I have received a Ritchey WCS Compact crankset and matching Shimano Ultegra octilink BB. This is the first time I have used a non Campy set up in over a decade.

Do the splines on the bb spindle get lubed prior to cranking down the cranks?

Thanks

dave thompson
01-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Today I have received a Ritchey WCS Compact crankset and matching Shimano Ultegra octilink BB. This is the first time I have used a non Campy set up in over a decade.

Do the splines on the bb spindle get lubed prior to cranking down the cranks?

Thanks
Yes, lube the splines, spindles, crank bolts, the washers on top of the crankbolts, all threads on the cranks, and the inside of the dustcover. And 30ft lbs of torque will do the trick.

Big Dan
01-06-2005, 11:09 AM
Dog, I'm with Dave...lube that stuff and make sure to line up the spindles when installing. You can line up the spindle to 12 o' clock and go....

Good luck

OldDog
01-06-2005, 11:51 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

It's been pretty much mild and dry here in NE PA, until last night. 3" of slush and rain, I guess I won't be trying these out for a while.

71 days 'till spring :banana:

dave thompson
01-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Dog: When you install the cranks on the BB, it's easier to make sure the splines line up if you take the dustcover off the crank and watch as you line them up. When lined up, a gentle smack with a soft-faced hammer or the heel of your hand will keep them in sync while you install the crankbolt.