PDA

View Full Version : Campag-compatible chainring bolts?

djg
06-08-2009, 12:17 PM
I’m trying to piece together a crankset out of parts I have lying around. I have record 10 carbon crank arms (probably the last year of square taper before the UT change in the bb) and some slightly used, and slightly older, but pretty darn clean campagnolo 10 speed chainrings that seem to match up very neatly with the carbon crank arms. I also have some campagnolo chainring bolts (from maybe 2002 or 2003) that don’t seem to fit the holes in the carbon arms at all and since running into trouble there I've been told that the bolt holes in the carbon arms are just a bit smaller than the ones from the alloy cranks from a couple of years before. I reckon I could order a set of campagnolo nuts and bolts, but they seem to be about a 100 bucks or so, which seems kind of nuts, if you will.

Does anybody know of a good substitute ("good" as in, works well, but costs a bunch less than OEM)?

cmg
06-08-2009, 01:18 PM
do a google product search. hit the "shopping" link on google the type in what your looking for. for example http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=campagnolo+chainring+bolts&sa=N&start=10

djg
06-08-2009, 04:19 PM
do a google product search. hit the "shopping" link on google the type in what your looking for. for example http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=campagnolo+chainring+bolts&sa=N&start=10

Thanks, but I'm not sure it's all that great a method for something like this -- basically if you hunt around using google you'll find different (and conflicting) versions of possible solutions. When I try your link, I get several things that I'm pretty sure are wrong and several things (camapag at 10 bucks per nut, for example), that put me back at square one. I thought somebody on the board might know -- from actual experience -- that some particular aftermarket product will work.

mister
06-08-2009, 04:33 PM
seems like this won't help but i think i paid about $20 shipped for a new set of campy record chainring bolts...they fit my alloy crank arms though sounds like you already tried these...
ebay is where i found them.

Dekonick
06-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Well - Been there, done that.

I also bought a set of campy bolts for $20 and change - didnt fit (works in alloy cranks)

I had to pony up and buy the campy bolts at more than 15 each - you can get black or silver. Black is record, silver is chorus. My crankset has a mix of colors (don't really care) because QBP was out of chorus bolts when I ordered mine. May I suggest you remove and re-install all of your bolts with locktite blue? Thats what I did after losing 3 - probably due to rumble strips :crap:

Good luck!

majl
06-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Great timing on this thread. I'm going through the same thing right now. One of my friends just sold me his square taper carbon Record CT crankset since he upgraded to UT. When he gave it to me, the chainrings were not on the crank arms. I asked him about the bolts and he thought that maybe the shop that installed his new crank removed the rings when they took off the old crank. Why they would do that, I'll never know. :rolleyes: Anyway, he drops by the shop and they can't find the old bolts. So they open up a new crankset for him and give him the package of new bolts, which he in turn gives to me. They are silver. :crap: When I try to install them, I find out they don't fit, and in looking through the Campy installation instructions, I see that the carbon bolts should be black. These must have been from the older Record alloy cranks. So I give them back to him and he returns them to the shop, who order up the correct bolts. $100 they were. He did not have to pay for it. No one at the shop could ever tell him why they took the rings off to begin with.

So I should be getting my new, and hopefully correct, bolts this week. Good luck with your search!