PDA

View Full Version : Quiet Rear Hubs

pjmsj21
06-07-2009, 09:28 PM
My riding partner and director of domestic finance has difficulty with my campy rear wheel because of the noise. Are there any silent campy compatible hubs out there?

paulrad9
06-07-2009, 09:42 PM
They're only noisy when you coast; spin, baby, spin!

jmgorman
06-07-2009, 10:37 PM
If we tell you that lightweights are near-silent, does that mean the finance director will get you a set?

pjmsj21
06-08-2009, 07:20 AM
If we tell you that lightweights are near-silent, does that mean the finance director will get you a set?

aaaa NO.

Ozz
06-08-2009, 07:53 AM
If they are record, squirt some grease into the the little hole....that quiets them right down.

Some mechanics say not to do it, but I have not had any problems with my wheels doing it.

Velosmith
06-08-2009, 08:12 AM
White Industries are very quiet hubs. I wish my director of finance would complain about my noisy hubs so I can get some. She has them though. Wouldn't you know.....

Steve in SLO
06-08-2009, 08:18 AM
Phil grease or similar on the pawls has made my wheels very quiet.

NRRider
06-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Not sure how high end you want to go and whether you're interested in replacing the whole wheel, but I love my Easton Circuits and they are very quiet, virtually silent. They are discontinued (not sure if the successors have the same hub, though they probably do), and you can find new Campy versions out there pretty cheap (like around $300 for the set).

rockdude
06-08-2009, 10:40 AM
In my experience if campy hub gets loud it needs a little grease. By-the-way,
my lightweights were the loudest hubs I had ever heard when I first got them. When I opened them up, I found them completely dry, not even residue of from oil (darn weightweenies companies will do anything to lighten up a part). Those bad boys are quite now...

Marcusaurelius
06-08-2009, 11:45 AM
I was told not to put grease on the pawls of my campagnolo hub so I didn't.

The only quiet hubs I know of are shimano and then you would have use jtek shiftmate or american classic cassette.

rockdude
06-08-2009, 11:55 AM
I was told not to put grease on the pawls of my campagnolo hub so I didn't.

I don't know what the experts say but I have used a thin coat of Phil's with a Light oil or Mineral oil in all my hubs for awhile and its worked great. I can see where a thick coat of phils could gum up the pawl.

rbtmcardle
06-08-2009, 11:59 AM
compared to my powertap, the DT240 swiss hubs are like the stealth bomber.

Ozz
06-08-2009, 12:00 PM
I don't know what the experts say but I have used a thin coat of Phil's with a Light oil or Mineral oil in all my hubs for awhile and its worked great. I can see where a thick coat of phils could gum up the pawl.
I've used Pedro's Syn-Grease for years without a problem.

paczki
06-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Not sure how high end you want to go and whether you're interested in replacing the whole wheel, but I love my Easton Circuits and they are very quiet, virtually silent. They are discontinued (not sure if the successors have the same hub, though they probably do), and you can find new Campy versions out there pretty cheap (like around $300 for the set).

+1 My Easton R4 Hubs are almost completely silent.

John M
06-08-2009, 12:25 PM
My Bontrager rear campy compatible hub has a very quiet freehub.

I don't mind the loud so if you need to sell yours, let your director of domestic finance know that I might buy your noise (pending approval of my director of domestic finance, of course)