PDA

View Full Version : Voler bib shorts - user feedback

ahumblecycler
06-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Hello all.

I am tapping into the Serotta sages for some information regarding the Voler bib shorts. My Sugoi RS 2008s are needing replaced, and I do not like the 2009. The Voler bib shorts look nice, and I wanted feedback regarding the different chamois and sizing.

About me:
I put in 300 to 400 + miles a week. I am 5'10.5" (in between height on everything!) and around 155 to 160.

Talk to me :)

rnhood
06-07-2009, 09:47 PM
I have the Elite DX and, the material is nice and lightweight. The fit is good and the quality is decent. Very decent actually. The chamois is Ok. Not great but, Ok. I find it a little on the thin side. Of course this is a matter of preference.

djg21
06-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Hello all.

I am tapping into the Serotta sages for some information regarding the Voler bib shorts. My Sugoi RS 2008s are needing replaced, and I do not like the 2009. The Voler bib shorts look nice, and I wanted feedback regarding the different chamois and sizing.

About me:
I put in 300 to 400 + miles a week. I am 5'10.5" (in between height on everything!) and around 155 to 160.

Talk to me :)

I like them. I always had used Pearl bibs, but I don't like Pearl's new chamois, which seems too thick, and has seams that bother me. Like the above poster stated, Voler shorts have a relatively flat chamois. The price is also good.

Ray
06-08-2009, 04:15 AM
I like Voler too, but I like the cheap one better than the expensive of the two. A little sturdier, a bit more padding in the chamois. But again, all personal preference. Not quite as individual as saddles, but not far from it. I actually liked the chamois more a few years ago before they all got stretchy, but you can't really find those anymore.

-Ray

Elefantino
06-08-2009, 05:21 AM
I have seven pairs of Voler bib shorts in my closet, some of them almost seven years old. They wear like iron. Extremely well made.

How they feel on the bike is, of course, personal. I like them, but have recently jumped to Cannondale's new line because they feel better.

But that's me. You can't go wrong with Voler.

ahumblecycler
06-08-2009, 06:22 AM
Good stuff people, thanks.

I was looking at the Torrino (sp?) vs. the Ion pad. I definitely want a large terry cloth front, and I will have to inspect each.

This is the second time I heard the new C-Dale short referenced; are you referring to carbon LE or their long distance (40 day or something like that)?

maunahaole
06-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Voler also runs good specials every once in a while on their stuff. You need to be on their email list to get the coupon code and notification. I'm pretty sure that they are having a sale on the avanti short right now, which is pretty nice.

ahumblecycler
06-08-2009, 03:08 PM
I ordered a pair of the Avanti and Elite DX. I wanted to try both chamois. I had a code for $5 back for every $50 or so spent. Hey $10 is a few Clif bars :)

I hope their sizing is right.

I have tried Assos, Giordana, Etxe ondo, Di Marchi, GBW, Sugoi, PI, Santini, Capo, and others. The 2008 Sugois have been the best thus far. It would be nice to find some that I really enjoy.

maunahaole
06-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Their sizing charts are pretty good. They seem to match up to street clothes sizing accurately. You'll get a couple of tootsie rolls in the envelope as well.

Likes2ridefar
06-08-2009, 03:41 PM
I've hammer nutrition's voler bibs - 2008 model. They have the ion pad. I'm 6' and weigh about 165 pounds. The size medium fits me excellent everywhere besides the butt. They shift a bit and create friction. These are the only bibs I own that do this, and I own a ton of bibs!

A shame, because they are very cheap from hammer especially if you are a new customer since you can get 15% off with a referral code from a current member.

Due to the slight misfit I use them for commuting to work on the fixed gear. Almost everyone else I know loves them, though.

Ray
06-08-2009, 03:49 PM
I've hammer nutrition's voler bibs - 2008 model. They have the ion pad. I'm 6' and weigh about 165 pounds. The size medium fits me excellent everywhere besides the butt. They shift a bit and create friction. These are the only bibs I own that do this, and I own a ton of bibs!

A shame, because they are very cheap from hammer especially if you are a new customer since you can get 15% off with a referral code from a current member.

Due to the slight misfit I use them for commuting to work on the fixed gear. Almost everyone else I know loves them, though.
I find they run a bit large too, at least the recent models. I just ordered a couple pairs of bibs, and went with my standard size large. I'm just a hair under six feet and also 165 pounds (back down from 185+ - hell YEAH). I got a set of large bib knickers from them recently that fit snugly in a large and my older shorts all fit snugly in large. But these new ones are a bit loose around the legs and butt. I might have tried medium if I'd known. They aren't bad, but they're a bit looser than I'm used to from them.

-Ray

RBaker2778
06-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Definitely get the Ion if you are going Voler. Way more comfortable in my opinion.

Overall, I find Voler to be a decent product. I definitely like some other brands better, but for the price, they are decent, well made product.

Elefantino
06-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Good stuff people, thanks.

I was looking at the Torrino (sp?) vs. the Ion pad. I definitely want a large terry cloth front, and I will have to inspect each.

This is the second time I heard the new C-Dale short referenced; are you referring to carbon LE or their long distance (40 day or something like that)?
LE. The other kind (can't remember the name, either) was a) too expensive and b) came apart. The strap seam, which contains some kind of membrane, came apart, finito.

I have two 'dale pairs and am wearing them out.

However, I have one of thew Volers with Ion pad, also way cool. Just not as cool as the others.

rwsaunders
06-08-2009, 08:38 PM
I tried a pair but the fit of that particular model wasn't for me. Great customer service though, and I do like the fact that they are made in the US.

ahumblecycler
06-08-2009, 09:01 PM
I ordered mediums, and now I am wondering if I should have ordered small. I suppose I could go ahead and order the smalls tomorrow.

bigbill
06-08-2009, 09:24 PM
I have six pair of Volers. Good fit and quality and I like the thinner chamois. I also have two pair of Twin 6 bibs. I like the quality of the stitching and the chamois is good. Both brands made in the US. Twin Six run long in the inseam but true everywhere else.

toaster
06-09-2009, 09:24 AM
The Hammer Nutrition deal on the Voler kit is a bargain. The Voler clothing is top notch and the Ion pad is the bomb.

Truly a value package but you must like the look of the Hammer kit.

MattTuck
06-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Hello all.

My Sugoi RS 2008s are needing replaced, and I do not like the 2009.

If interested and like Sugoi's, I just posted a Bib in the classified section. 2008 Sugoi Pulsar, in size Men's Large.

let me know if interested. Never worn, except to try to put them on once, and find out that I couldn't -- too small.

Steve in SLO
06-10-2009, 05:48 PM
I have been riding Volers for 10+ years, and am local to them, so I'm kind of partial to their products. The last pair of bibs I bought (earlier theis year) have stretched out more than usual in the buttocks-thigh transition area and the elastic seems a bit less, well, elastic than when new. The shorts are probably coming up to 25 rides old. My previous Volers haven't had this problem. Perhaps a bad batch of lycra? They are Torinos, BTW.

ahumblecycler
06-11-2009, 03:52 PM
My Avanti's arrived in medium, and the leg grippers are too big (down to my knees). I spoke with Blaine, and he is sending small for this bib short and the Elite DX. Great person! I am excited to try them out.

The Avanti felt good, but the chamois is thinner than I was expecting. However, I have learned not to pre-judge before testing.

Ray
06-11-2009, 03:57 PM
My Avanti's arrived in medium, and the leg grippers are too big (down to my knees). I spoke with Blaine, and he is sending small for this bib short and the Elite DX. Great person! I am excited to try them out.

The Avanti felt good, but the chamois is thinner than I was expecting. However, I have learned not to pre-judge before testing.
I ordered a set of large and had the same thing happen. Dried them on high after the first wash, though, and now they're good. I just looked and saw them on sale for nearly $25 off from what I bought them for a couple of weeks ago. Damn!

I actually thought the chamois was a bit thicker than I'd expected. To each his own, eh?

-Ray

ahumblecycler
06-12-2009, 06:39 AM
So did the bib shorts shrink about the wash? I can't get my mind wrapped around this notion. Can you explain?

As for chamois thickness, I based my mental image on previous comments stating how much thicker this pad was compared to the Ion. I learned from Giordana bib shorts that thickness does not equate to comfort (the opposite for them; their thin chamois is great).