PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Stem Bolt

kgrooney
06-07-2009, 08:18 PM
While washing the bike today, it dawned on me I have yet to remove the pedals, seat post and stem to be lubed.

Two of the three were removed without incident. The probelm waas the stem. As hard as I tried with my multi-tool, I could not budge the bolt.

I'm considering purchasing a larger wrench for more torque, or bringing the bike to the shop for assistance. With my luck, if I do it myself with a larger tool, I'll snap the bolt.

Any suggestions?

Peter B
06-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Quill stem I assume? Might try WD-40 twice a day for a few days before tugging with a long lever.

RudAwkning
06-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Ammonia also works a treat to free up seized components.

We've had customers that had frames they were ready to junk until we inverted the frame in the stand and poured ammonia down the seat tube to free up seized seatposts. Let it soak overnight. Just make sure to put a bucket under the frame.....and remove your saddle unless you want it to smell like cat piss for the remainder of its life :D

Louis
06-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Quill stem I assume? Might try WD-40 twice a day for a few days before tugging with a long lever.

I don't have any better ideas, but this is potentially a real mess. If it is a standard quill stem with the bolthead at the top of the stem then presumably what's siezed up is down at the bottom of the quill and getting enough oil to the right spot is going to be a challenge.

If you think things aren't going to get any worse over time and you are happy with the current position, you might consider just letting this particular sleeping dog lie.

Assuming you are really stuck and can't get the bolt to cooperate:

I suppose the one thing you don't want to do is strip the Allen wrench flats in the head of the bolt, because then nothing is going to move. It would be better to shear the head of the bolt off, then you can at least tap the shank down to release the quill and take it all apart. I have to believe that there are places where you can get a replacement quill bolt, but they are probably getting rarer by the day.

Good Luck
Louis

eddief
06-07-2009, 11:41 PM
squirting the crap out it from the top and bottom with something penetrating like WD40 or better, letting it sit for a while, then getting a wrench on it, then tap tap tapping the wrench on the bolt, the bolt, gently with a hammer. sometimes the gods of corrosion will let it go.

jvp
06-08-2009, 07:08 AM
nevermind...good luck!

Polyglot
06-08-2009, 11:58 AM
I think that you are all jumping way ahead of yourselves here. Does the OP understand how a stem is held in place? You do realize that you must loosen the plunger bolt by turning counterclockwise, which will normally make the bolt go up, you then generally need to knock the plunger bolt downwards to dislodge the plunger cone or wedge from insie the steer tube. Many use a hammer for this. You can then get it out. If you have done this and the stem is still wedged, then you have to determine what type of stem it is and what type of plunger mechanism it uses.

jvp
06-08-2009, 12:10 PM
That's what my "nevermind" sort of suggested, then I realized that he can't loosen the top bolt first, before striking w/ hammer.

kgrooney
06-08-2009, 12:48 PM
I think that you are all jumping way ahead of yourselves here. Does the OP understand how a stem is held in place? You do realize that you must loosen the plunger bolt by turning counterclockwise, which will normally make the bolt go up, you then generally need to knock the plunger bolt downwards to dislodge the plunger cone or wedge from insie the steer tube. Many use a hammer for this. You can then get it out. If you have done this and the stem is still wedged, then you have to determine what type of stem it is and what type of plunger mechanism it uses.

To clarify:

Quill stem.
Unable to turn plunger bolt at all.

David Kirk
06-08-2009, 01:12 PM
What brand stem is it and are you willing to sacrifice the stem to get it out?

dave

CaptStash
06-08-2009, 01:25 PM
What brand stem is it and are you willing to sacrifice the stem to get it out?

dave

Dave is on to something here. Usea a Sawzall. :beer:

CaptStash....

kgrooney
06-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Dave is on to something here. Usea a Sawzall. :beer:

CaptStash....

Salsa.

The tone of most replies to my inquiry is to leave it alone

Peter P.
06-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Stick a REAL allen wrench in the bolt, not a multi-tool. Then grasp the shaft of the allen wrench with a crescent wrench. If it doesn't free with a few tries, then work it back and forth. If you have no luck after 10 minutes or so, cut the stem off.

mister
06-08-2009, 04:23 PM
the bolt is probably just tight. i don't really see many here getting enough leverage from one of the little y shaped allen tools to break a stubborn or real tight bolt loose.

if you do think it's stuck.
flip the bike over and spray a little something like pb blaster in there (down the steertube). it'll work much better than WD40.
i use allen sockets that attach to a ratchet. you could buy a whole set for pretty cheap.

after you get the bolt loose, you may have to smack the bolt with a hammer or something like that to pop the wedge/quill out of the stem.

eddief
06-08-2009, 06:31 PM
i want to hear how this turns out. with photos.

kgrooney
06-09-2009, 07:46 AM
i want to hear how this turns out. with photos.

I hope to address this soon and will advise.