PDA

View Full Version : Ultegra Brifters Double or Triple Specific?

pjmsj21
06-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Here's the story...new bike with Ultegra components (2008 vintage) and I would like to move from a compact to a triple. I know many people are moving from triples to doubles but I like to spin over hills and save my knees/legs and I am really missing my triple (not to mention my Campy triple) ,

So my question is: will I have to also change my brifters? I assume that in addition to the crankset, I will most likely need to replace both derailers as well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

MRB
06-06-2009, 11:23 PM
The early Ultegra (6500)Brifters were double, the newer were double or triple (6510). One way to tell is if your brifters have "Ultegra" laser etched onto the front of the brake/shift lever, then they are the 6510 and are double or triple compatable.

HTH

pjmsj21
06-06-2009, 11:42 PM
HTH,

Thanks ...the front of the shifters says" Ultegra Flight Deck"....hopefully this is the 6510.

So other parts that will need to be replaced?

Thanks

PJ

dave thompson
06-07-2009, 12:34 AM
HTH,

Thanks ...the front of the shifters says" Ultegra Flight Deck"....hopefully this is the 6510.

So other parts that will need to be replaced?

Thanks

PJ
If you peel back the hood at the base of the shifter, you will find the model number on the plastic body.

PacNW2Ford
06-07-2009, 12:36 AM
2008-vintage would likely be 6600 double or 6603 triple. The 6603's say "triple".

dave thompson
06-07-2009, 12:43 AM
Here's the story...new bike with Ultegra components (2008 vintage) and I would like to move from a compact to a triple. I know many people are moving from triples to doubles but I like to spin over hills and save my knees/legs and I am really missing my triple (not to mention my Campy triple) ,

So my question is: will I have to also change my brifters? I assume that in addition to the crankset, I will most likely need to replace both derailers as well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
What cassette are you running on the back? A less expensive way to easier climbing would be to go to a larger cassette, IRD makes an 11-30 as an example, which would be far less expensive and a lot easier than changing out your shifters and crank. If you needed more gearing than that, installing an MTB cassette (11-34) and an MTB rear derailleur would get you what you need, still at a huge cost saving over a crank/shifter change-out.

pjmsj21
06-07-2009, 07:25 AM
The IRD cassette may actually do the job and I will likely go that route first. I am running an 11-25.

Will the Shimano brifters work with a Shimano mountain bike derailer?

As always thanks everyone for your input.

Ken Robb
06-07-2009, 07:54 AM

YES, if it's 9 speed. There are no Shimano 10 speed mtn. stuff that I know of.

kevintice
06-07-2009, 08:14 AM
A Shimano nine speed mtb derailleur will work fine with Ultegra 10 speed shifters. Be aware that some newest model derailleurs don't have a barrel adjuster on them, and some have slightly different cable routing than you may be accustomed to, so it may look funny to you. On my most recent build, I found a NOS XT (maybe a couple model years old) that works perfectly with an IRD 10speed 11-34 cassette, and Ultegra 10 speed shifters. The shift indexing is in the shifter, not the derailleur.

Remember that you want a high normal derailleur, not a Rapid Rise (low normal) where the spring pulls the derailleur to the biggest or easiest cog.

Sheldon4209
06-07-2009, 06:07 PM
The 11-34 IRD cassettes on tandems have been problematic and don't shift well. I don't know about the 11-30 but I would research them before spending the money for an IRD cassette.

dave thompson
06-07-2009, 06:10 PM
The 11-34 IRD cassettes on tandems have been problematic and don't shift well. I don't know about the 11-30 but I would research them before spending the money for an IRD cassette.
I can't speak to the 11-34 cassette but the 11-30 on my Serotta shifts perfectly and runs quietly.

Pete Serotta
06-07-2009, 06:57 PM
he is riding the rockies and put a 11-34 on with his compact and a Deore rear der. It does not shift as fast BUT it works fine..... He is very picky and has had nothing but good to say about it. IRD makes Shimano and Campy 10 speed "wide" cassettes.

That is the cheapest route...I still like my triple and will be using it at the Ride the Rockies with a 30 in front and 27 in rear. (that is about same gearing as a compact with a 25.) You can also go to a 27 ultegra cassette and pickup two cogs.

let us have a ride report if you go the IRD route. Thanks

The IRD cassette may actually do the job and I will likely go that route first. I am running an 11-25.

kevintice
06-07-2009, 10:25 PM
I put the 11-34 on a bike for a girl that is VERY picky about things like this. She loves it. Does it shift as fast as a 11-23? Probably not. But it shifts fine and is quiet enough.YMMV.

RPS
06-07-2009, 11:04 PM
I can't speak to the 11-34 cassette but the 11-30 on my Serotta shifts perfectly and runs quietly.Are you using a MTB or road rear derailleur with the 11-30?

RPS
06-07-2009, 11:10 PM
I still like my triple and will be using it at the Ride the Rockies with a 30 in front and 27 in rear. (that is about same gearing as a compact with a 25.)I think it would take a 34/30 compact to be close to your 30/27.
Triples do a great job -- hard to beat. :beer:

dave thompson
06-07-2009, 11:46 PM
Are you using a MTB or road rear derailleur with the 11-30?
Using a Dura Ace rear derailleur.

RPS
06-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Using a Dura Ace rear derailleur.Thanks Dave, I appreciate the answer. If going to an 11-30 cassette is enough with the compact chainrings then it’s definitely the easiest and cheapest way to try something new. I still like triples better for added flexibility, greater range, and closer ratios, but that’s my personal taste.

BTW, how do you handle the possible lack of rear derailleur total capacity – has it been an issue? Are you using compact rings with 16T capacity requirement at front along with a 19T capacity cassette? That’s quite a bit over double RD capacity. Triple RD? Longer chain? Just curious how your setup works.

dave thompson
06-08-2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks Dave, I appreciate the answer. If going to an 11-30 cassette is enough with the compact chainrings then it’s definitely the easiest and cheapest way to try something new. I still like triples better for added flexibility, greater range, and closer ratios, but that’s my personal taste.

BTW, how do you handle the possible lack of rear derailleur total capacity – has it been an issue? Are you using compact rings with 16T capacity requirement at front along with a 19T capacity cassette? That’s quite a bit over double RD capacity. Triple RD? Longer chain? Just curious how your setup works.
It's a triple rear derailleur. With the 34-50 chainrings and 11-30 cogs, I had to make a choice about the chain length. If I cut the chain to run in the big/big combo, then in the small/small combo there would be too much slack. If I had the correct length to run in the small/small combo, then I couldn't run in the big ring/big cog as the chain was short. So in the interest of more usefulness to me and slightly better shifting, I chose the 'short' chain option which has worked very well for me.

On my new bike I'll also have a 34-50 compact crank but I'm going to try an 11-28 cogset and a sort cage Dura Ace rear derailleur.

RPS
06-08-2009, 10:20 AM
It's a triple rear derailleur.Thanks again Dave, that clarifies much.

When I asked about the chain length I was thinking that if you had a standard RD maybe you went with a long-enough chain to cover the big-big and then “just” remember to never shift into the small-small – much like some experts have suggested can be done if one is attentive at all times (which I’m not but may chance it since I wouldn’t cross the chain from small ring to small cogs). With your triple RD you should have plenty of capacity to cover the compact chainrings and an 11-30 cassette.

If pjmsj21 has to replace the rear derailleur anyway, then a MTB RD with capacity for an 11-34 may be worth considering.

Ken Robb
06-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Help me think about choosing a compromise. If I cut the chain so small/small isn't too loose do I have the risk of bending a derailer if I forget and try to shift into big/big?

dave thompson
06-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Help me think about choosing a compromise. If I cut the chain so small/small isn't too loose do I have the risk of bending a derailer if I forget and try to shift into big/big?
Most likely, though try it. Chain cut for the big/big will be longer than chain cut for the small/small, you could always take 1 link out if you wished.

The reason that I made my choice was I would very seldom, if ever, be in the big/big combo, whereas there are more times that I would go to small/small.

RPS
06-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Help me think about choosing a compromise. If I cut the chain so small/small isn't too loose do I have the risk of bending a derailer if I forget and try to shift into big/big?Ken, that should only be a concern if your rear derailleur doesn’t have enough total capacity to handle the entire range.

I think the issue of having to compromise comes into play if you have a rear derailleur that doesn’t have the needed capacity to handle all gears. For example, the new DA RD has a capacity of 33 teeth (versus 29T for standard Ultegra) which makes it suitable to handle a compact 50/34 with an 11-28 cassette. If the rider installed an 11-30 instead, the needed capacity of 35 teeth would exceed the rear derailleur’s capacity by 2 teeth.

If that were the case, I’d install the longer chain to avoid damage in case I forgot and limit use of the 34-T chainring with the 13-tooth or bigger cogs. Depending on chainstay lengths one can get lucky and be able to use an extra cog or two since Shimano rates the capacity based on worse case.

pjmsj21
06-08-2009, 11:40 PM
Well it now appears as if my Serotta dealer will swap out my compact double Ultegra for a Ultegra triple for just the labor charge and some bar tape. While low gearing was the most immediate issue, I have to say that I do enjoy having the mid-sized front chain ring which I can cruise in most of the time. I guess I am just a triple kind of guy. Thanks for all of your input...it was very helpful. I should be spinning on my Fierte It tomorrow night.

PJ