PDA

View Full Version : OT: Q for audiophiles

CNY rider
06-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Looking for some suggestions for bringing sound to our summer camp.
WE don't have a stereo or radio there at this time. Also no TV or Internet but I'm completely happy with that part..... ;)
Local radio stations are very limited.
We subscribe to Sirius and have a portable radio we use in the car. It comes out of the car and can play inside using a cradle, as long as you have an amp and speakers to plug it into.
My wife also has an i-pod.

What I would like to do: Buy a stereo type device, with integrated speakers if possible, and be able to use the Sirius and i-Pod to play musical entertainment.

I assume this is do-able and I apologize for the novice question.
What's the best way to go about this at a reasonable price?

Thanks.

jbrainin
06-06-2009, 06:50 PM
Check out audioadvisor.com then call them to figure out what is right for you.

wtex
06-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Just make sure to buy the cabling from monoprice.com :)

Jeff N.
06-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Get on E-Bay and get yourself a nice vintage system by Sansui. Find a Sansui 8080 or 9090DB receiver and a pair of Sansui SP-3500 speakers, or go smaller with a Sansui 5000x and a pair of SP-2500 speakers. There's a tape monitor on the rear to plug your stuff in. You're dialed with a great sounding system! And it won't break the bank. I'm assuming you have electricity. If not, go with a Bose portable docking station. Totally rechargeable and great sound for it's size. Jeff N.

Ken Robb
06-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Get on E-Bay and get yourself a nice vintage system by Sansui. Find a Sansui 8080 or 9090DB receiver and a pair of Sansui SP-3500 speakers, or go smaller with a Sansui 5000x and a pair of SP-2500 speakers. There's a tape monitor on the rear to plug your stuff in. You're dialed with a great sounding system! And it won't break the bank. I'm assuming you have electricity. If not, go with a Bose portable docking station. Totally rechargeable and great sound for it's size. Jeff N.

Jeez, if you like that sound try a Seeburg or a Wurlitzer! :-)

paulrad9
06-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Boston Acoustics (http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoustics-HDUOMDNT-Horizon-Duo/dp/B0013BW84G/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1KRBSMZZ1OEKQ&colid=2KLZ07G5MQ4G4) Horizon Duo Speaker has dual inputs so you won't need to change the wiring once it's set up. Sounds pretty good too. There is a single speaker version which is smaller and sounds nearly as good, but not stereo.

For cabling, go to Radio Shack and you'll be able to get both cables for less than $10.

Jeff N.
06-06-2009, 11:22 PM
:confused: Jeez, if you like that sound try a Seeburg or a Wurlitzer! :-)Well you ain't gonna need Bryston and Paradigm for where he's taking the stuff. The older vintage Sansui receivers/speakers are kinda esoteric for anyone but the 'Nam vet crowd. Jeff N.

CNY rider
06-07-2009, 06:21 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions.
The Boston Acoustics looks like just the kind of thing I would want.
Not sure I'm up for the whole EBay experience. Too much hassle.

Thanks again.

Pete Serotta
06-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Sansui, Nikon and 360 yen to a dollar....that was youth!!! (yes and the PX in Nam :cool:

:confused: Well you ain't gonna need Bryston and Paradigm for where he's taking the stuff. The older vintage Sansui receivers/speakers are kinda esoteric for anyone but the 'Nam vet crowd. Jeff N.

Ken Robb
06-07-2009, 07:10 PM
an old pal in San Diego ran Good Stuff at 72nd and El Cajon Blvd. California had "Fair Trade" retail price fixing well into the 1970s so he could pay servicemen more than they paid for stereo gear in the px overseas and still sell it for a profitable but discounted price to civilians. We liked the Japanese receivers and amps a lot better the speakers.

LesMiner
06-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Sansui, Nikon and 360 yen to a dollar....that was youth!!! (yes and the PX in Nam :cool:

You actually saw a PX with anything in it in Nam? Usually anything of value mysteriously disappeared.

rounder
06-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Wife and I went to a wedding the other night. The guy playing music was using a laptop with huge Bose speakers and it sounded great. I asked him what he was using for music and he said CDs. I asked why not just use Itunes...he said that he does that too. My vote would be to use a laptop (if you already have one) with some nice plug-in speakers.

dannyg1
06-07-2009, 10:31 PM
What kind of coverage (how large a crowd and space? Indoors?) are you after? Are you looking for something that can do duty as a PA as well? If I were spec'ing this, I'd probably get some powered PA speakers, some stands, a small mixer and some mics, and I'd employ the set for duty as a dance hall system for parties at the camp.

If you need help sourcing any of the stuff you're looking for, I can help with that too.

Looking for some suggestions for bringing sound to our summer camp.
WE don't have a stereo or radio there at this time. Also no TV or Internet but I'm completely happy with that part..... ;)
Local radio stations are very limited.
We subscribe to Sirius and have a portable radio we use in the car. It comes out of the car and can play inside using a cradle, as long as you have an amp and speakers to plug it into.
My wife also has an i-pod.

What I would like to do: Buy a stereo type device, with integrated speakers if possible, and be able to use the Sirius and i-Pod to play musical entertainment.

I assume this is do-able and I apologize for the novice question.
What's the best way to go about this at a reasonable price?

Thanks.

Jeff N.
06-08-2009, 01:30 AM

OldDog
06-08-2009, 10:31 AM
At my camp I use a Bose table top radio. I have a XM Wi-Fi for internet radio and an ipod plugged into it. Plenty loud for one site use.

CNY rider
06-08-2009, 11:22 AM
What kind of coverage (how large a crowd and space? Indoors?) are you after? Are you looking for something that can do duty as a PA as well? If I were spec'ing this, I'd probably get some powered PA speakers, some stands, a small mixer and some mics, and I'd employ the set for duty as a dance hall system for parties at the camp.

If you need help sourcing any of the stuff you're looking for, I can help with that too.

I think I may be confusing you with the "summer camp" term.
We're talking about a little place, less than 1000 sq. feet, next to a lake, where we go for peace and quiet.
Not the "summer camp for kids" variety. ;)

Kevan
06-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Whatever happened Row...row...row...your boat, in three-part harmony?

Likes2ridefar
06-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Audioengine has some active speakers that sound incredible. a5 is what I own. Dual inputs and a usb charger for the ipod. They've a smaller model that gets rave reviews, too.