PDA

View Full Version : veloflex no more

bronk
06-06-2009, 12:18 PM
After two side-wall blow outs, i'm no longer riding veloflex. Anyone else had the bead separate from the side-wall with veloflex or did I get a bad batch?

shanerpvt
06-06-2009, 01:18 PM
what model? tubie or clincher?

Velosmith
06-07-2009, 10:04 AM
No issues here with both tubular or clinchers. My tire of choice. I don't blame you though. 2 blow outs? Wow, I'd say bad batch.

What flavor?

happycampyer
06-07-2009, 10:43 AM
what model? tubie or clincher?I'm assuming clincher since tubulars don't have a bead. :)

I would suspect that it was a bad batch. Like Velosmith, I have been using Veloflex tires (Paves and Carbons, but the Carbons are tubulars) for years without any issues. They wear fairly quickly in my experience, but I'm willing to live with that for their ride quality.

stackie
06-07-2009, 12:27 PM
I've never had a problem with a Veloflex in almost ten years of use, both clinchers and tubulars. Mostly tubular, though.

They do wear fast, but the ride quality exceeds anything else I've ridden previously (Michelin, Continental, Vittoria, Challenge). I'll caveat that in admitting that I've not tried anything from the competition recently.

I think you should send a polite email to the Veloflex distributor along with some pics of the tire blowouts and ask for them to send you a complimentary tire. This may be effective if you can convince them that you will likely be a long term customer if you are satisfied. I once got Yellow Jersey to warranty a tire that had been glued, despite the fact that their warranty expressly denies that.

Just my opinion, FWIW.

Jon

bronk
06-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Clinchers, PAVE. Both rear tire. The bead was hanging on for dear life but the tube pushed right through the sidewall. Pressures were normal.

I've switched to conti gatorskin for daily training rides. Giving up the tubie-like ride for added life, flat protection and some peace of mind.

cmg
06-07-2009, 04:19 PM
had a front wheel veloflex pave sidewall bead seperate. inner tube came out and burst. very dramatic. saw it grow from a pimple to a balloon and burst in a few seconds. tire had about 1200 miles on it. there are a bunch of tires that are under 200 grams. pick something else. Vittro diamante pro lights are working pretty good for me.