PDA

View Full Version : Campy C Record Question

bigern11
06-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Greetings. I'm overhauling a 1986, first generation, C Record, rear derailleur(although the catalogue refers to it as Record) and have run into an issue that has me flummoxed...I can't remove the upper pivot bolt. The pivot bolt passes through the derailleur body and then through a centered metal bracket. Some how this spring, loaded bracket is attached to the back of the derail body, but I have not been able to figure out how to remove it. Anyone have experience with this issue. Thanks for your help. Cheers.

shiftyfixedgear
06-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Why in the world do you WANT to remove it ?
If it is dry just drip some thin lube in there.

The first gen CRec used a spring loaded top pivot - the same design that Simplex used for many years.

They are not easy to disassemble, and like other spring-loaded pivots they are a real BITCH to re-assemble.

Considering that you'll never be able to get a spare part for it, do you really want/need to take the chance of buggering up something ?

Just sayin' . . .

rePhil
06-06-2009, 07:35 AM
If you don't get a reply here call Peter at Vecchio's. 303-440-3535

roguedog
06-06-2009, 09:08 AM
If you still want to to do it yourself.. or at least research it some more, I'd go to bikeforums.net to the Classic & Vintage section. Great group of folks who are really knowledgeable bout this stuff.

bigern11
06-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks all. Shiftyfixedgear may have the best advice. I'm reconsidering.

93LegendTG
06-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Disregard the following as I see you are talking about the top pivot.
There is a stop pin that limits the cage's travel and holds it under tension It is located just below the pivot bolt and threads into the outer pulley cage. Hold the cage and unscew it with a small sloted screw driver. The cage will swing around and it will release the spring's tension on the pulley cage. Now just back out the pivot bolt and the cage will come right off. Its not a big deal.

GuyGadois
06-07-2009, 02:27 PM
If this is truly a first gen C-Record, be VERY careful when you screw the derailleur back on to the dropout. If not done with care you will snap a small piece in half which will render it useless unless you find one and pay dearly. I know from experience. :crap: You'll know exactly which piece I am talking about when you screw it on. do it slowly and move the RD to establish it on the pivot correctly.

(can supply photos if need be)

-GG-

bigern11
06-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks everyone. I've taken Shiftyfixedgear's advice and just flushed the upper pivot bolt with lube, overhauled everything else and safely reattached it to the frame. Cheers.