PDA

View Full Version : Philly

EddieBirdsell
06-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Anyone headed to Philly this weekend for the race? Weather looks more promising this year than last year's 100+ degree cookout.

Any recommendations for a good place to watch? Last year (my first time attending) I hung around the Art Museum/finish line/expo area and it worked out pretty well.

Podium predictions? Dominguez? Henderson? Vogels? Fast Freddy?

nahtnoj
06-05-2009, 10:17 AM
I will be volunteering as a course marshal in Manayunk!

Ray
06-05-2009, 11:06 AM
I'll probably head in for the race. I'm coming from the west, so I generally park at Valley Forge or Norristown and ride the Schuylkill River Trail into Manyunk. I catch the first few laps on the Wall and then ride in toward center city, seeing the racers come by on Kelly Drive a couple of times and then camp out on Lemon Hill for a few laps. I generally avoid the start/finish area because its a zoo and you generally can't see all that much anyway. I'd say the Wall and Lemon Hill are the prime viewing, but just being down there for such an event is fun.

-Ray

ThasFACE
06-05-2009, 11:11 AM
I'll be there and rocking my Kirk tshirt. Coming from rittenhouse square.

rounder
06-05-2009, 12:07 PM
I will be there. Mainly will be hanging out around the start/finish and vendor areas. Also, maybe Lemon Hill area.

nahtnoj
06-05-2009, 12:15 PM
The section of Kelly between Eakins Oval and boat house row is fun.

It is a slight downhill, and the racers really zip through there - a huge pack of riders going fast on carbon tubulars is an amazing sound.

Also, the team cars really fly through there after filling up in the feed zone.

rdparadise
06-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Probably stationed at Lemon Hill for a good part of the race. I will definitely ride down to the Wall as well. This is where the zoo is. Standing at the top of the Wall, watching the riders come up there is the best because they tire due to the 17 % grade the numerous times up that puppy. There pace is much slower and you can get some great pictures.

It's great in the begining of the race to be at the start for the parade laps.

On Lemon Hill, as well as the Wall, it's party central. Lemon Hill is for groups like Action Wheels Bike Shop, the Bicycle Club of Philly, and more set up picnic/bbq's here and stay all day. Free food, what's not to like about that.

Anyway, hope to catch some of you at the race.

Bob

EddieBirdsell
06-05-2009, 03:18 PM
I hope to roll around and check out the various spots on my GT GTB fixed gear. It's black and has mustache bars. Please don't judge. If you should see me, give a holler.

fiamme red
06-09-2009, 12:36 PM
http://www.velonews.com/article/92919/teutenberg-says-her-third-philly-win-was-the-hardest

Women catch the men

The 123-strong women’s field was mostly made up of North Americans, with 22 U.S. teams facing two of the world’s top squads: Columbia-Highroad and Team Nürnberger. Those two teams kept the race together over the first three laps, and their pace was so high that they closed in on the men’s peloton within 36 miles of racing.

Many of the pro men were shocked when officials neutralized their 150-strong bunch and allowed the women to race by.

rounder
06-09-2009, 01:50 PM
It was a great day to be in Philly, but for me it was more like being at a happening than a race. The stands were not set up like in past years and the diamondvision was not very useful for watching the race because there were constant clips of previous races rather than showing ongoing coverage, so you were not able to see as much. I thought the budget crisis might have had someonething to do with that. With the women catching the men, the coasting men were required to hold their positions so that they wouldn't interfere with the racing ladies. This allowed the two guys out in front of all this to get a huge lead that lasted for hours. In the end, both the men and ladies rode fast and the races good. I think Columbia Highroad won both races. I heard the announcer discussing race speeds mention that the women typically average 24-25 mph for their 56 mile race while the men average 26-28 for 156 miles. I thought there would have been a bigger spread. Anyway, the race was good, the weather was beautiful, there were lots of people, and i was glad to have been there.