PDA

View Full Version : Dreesens Road Bike

rugbysecondrow
06-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Looking at buying a used Dreesens Road bike. The guy inherited it and knows little about it. From the photo, it appears to be a steal frame, but that is just a guess until higher res photos get emailed to me. I am going to look at it tonight, but have been able to find very little about this builder from Pennsylvania. I know you all can't speak to the specific bike, but can you speak to the quality of the work/builder? Any info would be helpful.

Also, it comes with Mavic Components/drivetrain (I think the bike is from the 1993-1996 range) so if you have any feedback on that too, I would appreciate it.

Thanks and have a great day!

goonster
06-05-2009, 09:45 AM
it appears to be a steal frame
Return it to its owner then! :banana:

Solid lugged steel bikes. I'd be proud to own one.

Pete Dreesens used to build out of the Tailwinds bike shop in Schwenksville, PA, but is no longer there, since the shop changed ownership a few years ago.

I believe most of his frames were painted by Tom Kellogg. Pete's overall quantitative production has been fairly modest. I last saw him at last year's T-town fall swap, but I don't think he has an online presence.

dookie
06-05-2009, 10:18 AM
$100 is indeed a steal.

looks like campy record, at least in part. those ergo levers are the very, very first campy ever made.

here. (http://baltimore.craigslist.org/bik/1205948170.html)

rugbysecondrow
06-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Yeah, that is the one. It looks like it would fit me well, so hopefully when I ride it tonight it does.

vjp
06-05-2009, 01:03 PM
That bike would sell in a heartbeat here if it was listed at about $750. If it fits you what are you waiting for :bike:

vjp

nahtnoj
06-05-2009, 01:21 PM
To think that people are dumb enough to pay $200 for Schwinn Varsitys on Philly CL all day long...

rugbysecondrow
06-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Going tonight to look at it, I still have a day job :)

gemship
06-05-2009, 05:57 PM
To think that people are dumb enough to pay $200 for Schwinn Varsitys on Philly CL all day long...

What? okay maybe if those bikes you're referring to are "barn fresh" with that tell tale coating of rust on chrome or lived outside their entire life. You are aware that all the tooling to make those bikes have long since gone, the welds where the tubes meet have that nice organic flow. They don't make them like they used to. $200 for any bike these days is very cheap. OTOH if someone thinks that's expensive perhaps they're cheap. Now if you're the racer boy variety then those old Schwinn's simply aren't for you. Nuff said.

learlove
06-06-2009, 08:24 PM
here are 2 frames pete built for me. there is also some info about peter in the post.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=53934

rugbysecondrow
06-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Thanks. I had an appointment to see it and the guy was a no show. Oh well, I didn't really need another bike.

Cheers