PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Customer Service

Marcusaurelius
06-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Today and yesterday I tried to contact someone at Serotta on the telephone.
I was hoping to secure the geometry on a used Serotta frame. Serotta is of course not obligated to help anyone buying a used Serotta frame. I can understand that.

I was told by someone at Serotta they no longer provide information on used frames. Change of policy? (in the past I just gave the serial number and they provided the geometry information when it was available).

I've also tried emailing Serotta twice but never received a reply (after two weeks of waiting). I am just a little reluctant to buy a used custom Serotta frame without knowing it's geometry.

Well I may buy a new Serotta at the local Serotta dealer.

I have discovered that if you need answers about things Serotta--post your question here and you will receive great assitance.

Pete Serotta
06-04-2009, 03:16 PM
The records on frames only goes back about 5 years......Much of the information from prior to 2000 was lost. If the frame that you are considering is within that timeframe, let me know serial ## and I will try to get the info.

The service of researching a used frame and answering questions takes more time that you can believe.

In these economic times every company has cut back on staff in order to save espenses. Serotta has relied more on their dealer network as we have moved forward.

This is no excuse for some one not answering your email nor returning your phone call.

I will assist in anyway I can. PETE

Sandy
06-04-2009, 03:45 PM
In these economic times, companies also need to do whatever they can to keep customers and obtain new ones. Serotta is very fortunate to have you to stay on top of customer/potential customer concerns and to always help out as you do. You always graciously offer your assistance in a remarkably timely and helpful manner.

A genuine asset for Serotta!!

Sandy

Elefantino
06-05-2009, 08:43 AM
In these economic times, companies also need to do whatever they can to keep customers and obtain new ones. Serotta is very fortunate to have you to stay on top of customer/potential customer concerns and to always help out as you do. You always graciously offer your assistance in a remarkably timely and helpful manner.

A genuine asset for Serotta!!

Sandy
+1.

And to the OP, don't bail on the company. I have found it to be beyond excellent.

You won't be disappointed.

HenryA
06-05-2009, 08:56 AM
The two parties involved in a transaction would seem to be the only ones with an strong interest in that transaction and the item being traded. So why not ask the current owner to measure the frame for you? This is after all a deal between you and the seller. I think at least one of you should be able to measure a frame. If you understand the dimensional information well enough to use it intelligently, surely you understand how to obtain it.

There are plenty of manufacturers who simply respond "sorry we don't have that information" so they won't be overwhelmed by requests that they don't have staff to cover. That Serotta has in the past gone out of their way to be courteous in this matter seems to now come back to bite them. No good deed goes unpunished.

I think you are holding Serotta to an unreasonable standard. Have you ever bought a new Serotta or did your other three come used? If new, how was that buying experience? Try being a Serotta --customer-- first before you criticize them. Serotta will treat you right and you'll get a great bike.

paczki
06-05-2009, 08:58 AM
The two parties involved in a transaction would seem to be the only ones with an strong interest in that transaction and the item being traded. So why not ask the current owner to measure the frame for you? This is after all a deal between you and the seller. I think at least one of you should be able to measure a frame. If you understand the dimensional information well enough to use it intelligently, surely you understand how to obtain it.

There are plenty of manufacturers who simply respond "sorry we don't have that information" so they won't be overwhelmed by requests that they don't have staff to cover. That Serotta has in the past gone out of their way to be courteous in this matter seems to now come back to bite them. No good deed goes unpunished.

I think you are holding Serotta to an unreasonable standard. Have you ever bought a new Serotta or did your other three come used? If new, how was that buying experience? Try being a Serotta --customer-- first before you criticize them. Serotta will treat you right and you'll get a great bike.

+1 That seems a real overreaction. Especially for someone with such a Stoic name!

Also they would quite reasonably wish to avoid any potential liability in your private transaction.

Dekonick
06-05-2009, 09:29 AM
Every interaction I have had with Serotta has been positive. That they do not provide information about a used frame may not sit well with you, but the person who should obtain that information is the seller. Often you can get the information from the serial number alone, as long as it is a stock frame. For custom geometry information, like Pete stated, if the frame is over 5 years old, they probably do not have it.

Good luck!

Marcusaurelius
06-05-2009, 09:33 AM

Well I do disagree with you on a number of points. I am not holding Serotta to an unreasonable standard and I can understand that in these uncertain times they cannot do everything. I just indicated problems I was having difficulty finding answers. And as always Serotta Pete has graciously offered to help me (Thanks Pete).

I also don't think criticism is a bad thing. I don't think anyone or any organization or company is perfect. If you just reject all criticism as unjustified then there's something wrong.

Anyways--that's my story and I'm sticking to it--sort of.

rnhood
06-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Just remember that on some frames these "custom" builders spec the tubes based on weight and riding style and, that is not something you or seller can measure. The seller would have to know this from when he purchased the bike. Geometry numbers alone don't tell the whole story. Unless you can get the full story, my advice is to pass on "used" custom bikes and frames.

Buy new, then keep all the numbers and specs in case you decide to sell it later - which is doubtful if you get what you really wanted.

Marcusaurelius
06-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Just remember that on some frames these "custom" builders spec the tubes based on weight and riding style and, that is not something you or seller can measure. The seller would have to know this from when he purchased the bike. Geometry numbers alone don't tell the whole story. Unless you can get the full story, my advice is to pass on "used" custom bikes and frames.

Buy new, then keep all the numbers and specs in case you decide to sell it later - which is doubtful if you get what you really wanted.

Thanks, that's the way I've been leaning at present. I was really undecided what to do.

I must say this forum is great and the people are very helpful. I was just sent a pdf file of the frame's geometry.

Many thanks to the sender.

Pete Serotta
06-05-2009, 02:51 PM
the PDF file, I am assuming is what we provided them at time of build.

By the way, when one buys a new frame from the dealer, they should get a copy (electronic and/or paper) with their frame.

I apologize but this is our busiest time and all hands are working on getting new frames out the door. The good news is that we are much busier than we were in Jan/FED. Hopefully it will continue with that uphill momentum.

The bad news is that we really do not have the "hands" to research frames for the used market. What I will try to personally do is "get the specs for the original purchaser on frames they are putting up for sale - over the summer. " This will also limit the number of times we get the information for different folks for the same frame that is for sale.

PETE

Thanks, that's the way I've been leaning at present. I was really undecided what to do.

I must say this forum is great and the people are very helpful. I was just sent a pdf file of the frame's geometry.

Many thanks to the sender.

pjmsj21
06-05-2009, 11:59 PM
I as a new Serotta owner emailed two questions to Serotta this week and received timely and knowledgeable responses....very good customer service in my book.

Pat Mc

martinrjensen
06-06-2009, 02:07 AM
I have to say (also) I emailed about 2 questions I had regarding a used CSI I had purchased off of eBay and got extremely quick and helpful replies. Serotta went out of their way to assist me when I wasn't even (technically) a customer.

05Fierte TI
06-06-2009, 07:27 AM
I sent an e-mail this week with a question and received an answer within 24 hours. I am very happy to be one of their customers (actually twice)

Bruce K
06-06-2009, 07:54 AM
4 Serottas in the stable and never a customer service issue.

Whether it's information, touch-up paint, soft goods, etc. I still believe that Serotta "gets it" like few companies in the industry.

BK