PDA

View Full Version : Seat stay bridge insert

jpw
06-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Hi there,

Should I specify that the seat stay bridge threaded insert point the bolt toward the tyre or parallel to the tyre? This is for mounting a fender.

Normally it seems to be toward the tyre, but sometimes parallel. Which is best please?

Thx, Jason.

KevinK
06-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Have it pointed at the tire. In other words, make it so you can drill a hole in the fender and thread it directly into the bridge (with or without spacers). If you make it parallel to the tire, you will need to use a fender clip, which I think is pretty funky.

csm
06-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Have it pointed at the tire. In other words, make it so you can drill a hole in the fender and thread it directly into the bridge (with or without spacers). If you make it parallel to the tire, you will need to use a fender clip, which I think is pretty funky.

If I'm imagining this correctly... might there be an issue between the bolt-head and the tire? I mean clearance-wise?

jpw
06-04-2009, 02:20 PM
If I'm imagining this correctly... might there be an issue between the bolt-head and the tire? I mean clearance-wise?

Yes, I see what you mean. Perhaps a very svelte flat-headed bolt would overcome this possible problem.

jpw
06-04-2009, 02:21 PM

Yes, this is more elegant than a clip. Thanks :-)

csm
06-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Yes, I see what you mean. Perhaps a very svelte flat-headed bolt would overcome this possible problem.

yeah one of those new torx-head bolts would be cool.

David Kirk
06-04-2009, 02:57 PM
What size or length of brake are we talking about? If it's a short reach caliper then things are going to be pretty darn tight regardless of how the fender mounts. If it's a long reach caliper then you should have plenty of room especially if you use a pan head (low profile) bolt.

The under the bridge mount can work very well. Sometimes it requires a spacer between it and the fender to keep the fender line consistent but otherwise it's a can be a good thing.

dave

jpw
06-04-2009, 03:11 PM
What size or length of brake are we talking about? If it's a short reach caliper then things are going to be pretty darn tight regardless of how the fender mounts. If it's a long reach caliper then you should have plenty of room especially if you use a pan head (low profile) bolt.

The under the bridge mount can work very well. Sometimes it requires a spacer between it and the fender to keep the fender line consistent but otherwise it's a can be a good thing.

dave

Dave

Thanks for your input. It's canti brakes, which means there should be ample room for the bolt head.

David Kirk
06-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Dave

Thanks for your input. It's canti brakes, which means there should be ample room for the bolt head.

I think you are correct as long as the bridge was placed high enough. I doubt you'll have an issue.

dave

KevinK
06-05-2009, 09:19 AM

Here in Oregon we love fenders. In the winter, you won't be allowed on some group rides without them. Folks will give you fenders as wedding presents and baby shower gifts. If you think a standard allen bolt will be to close to the tire, you don't have adequate clearrnce for fenders. You need enough space so small twigs, leaves, stones, squirrels and baby geese can pass between the tire and fender without jamming. I learned this the hard way many years ago.

Kevin

csm
06-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Here in Oregon we love fenders. In the winter, you won't be allowed on some group rides without them. Folks will give you fenders as wedding presents and baby shower gifts. If you think a standard allen bolt will be to close to the tire, you don't have adequate clearrnce for fenders. You need enough space so small twigs, leaves, stones, squirrels and baby geese can pass between the tire and fender without jamming. I learned this the hard way many years ago.

Kevin

my next bike will have allowances for fenders. my dad just got a Salsa Fargo and I am really trying to talk myself out of one. it is just one of the coolest bikes I've ever ridden. he put fenders on it and originally planned on using it as his loaded touring bike. he's ridden it more since getting it than any other bike.