PDA

View Full Version : Fork Upgrade

scottaharper
06-04-2009, 12:21 AM
Hello,

I have a friend who has been riding a Concours for a few years and is considering upgrading his fork. I think that his current for is an S2, it is the one that looks just like the Reynolds Ouzo Pro. He needs about 350mm of steerer, so his fork choices are limited. The options that I have found for him are the Alpha Q Z Pro, Edge Road 2.0, and the various Serotta F3s and S3. My friend is pretty sensitive to harsh riding forks (which is why he chose his current fork), but think he wants to upgrade to something a little bit more responsive than his existing fork. Can anyone share any real world comparisons between any of these new forks and his existing one?

Thanks,
Scott Harper

bfd
06-04-2009, 12:41 AM
Hello,

I have a friend who has been riding a Concours for a few years and is considering upgrading his fork. I think that his current for is an S2, it is the one that looks just like the Reynolds Ouzo Pro. He needs about 350mm of steerer, so his fork choices are limited. The options that I have found for him are the Alpha Q Z Pro, Edge Road 2.0, and the various Serotta F3s and S3. My friend is pretty sensitive to harsh riding forks (which is why he chose his current fork), but think he wants to upgrade to something a little bit more responsive than his existing fork. Can anyone share any real world comparisons between any of these new forks and his existing one?

Thanks,
Scott Harper

Can you or your friend explain the difference between a "harsh riding fork" and one that is "responsive?" What might be "harsh" to one person, is "responsive" to another or visa versa.

Alternatively, if your friend is truly "sensitive to harsh riding forks" and he doesn't consider his current one harsh, then why change? Or is he trying to get a lighter fork?

scottaharper
06-04-2009, 01:03 AM
He has a Habanero cross bike with an Alpha Q cross fork. I know it is apple and oranges, but he feels that this set up provides a stiffer ride without being jarring. That is what he is looking for. He says that his current fork is feeling soft to him now that he has spent some time on the cross bike.

When he bought his Serotta, he was able to ride similar bikes with different forks, and formed the opinion that stiff forks were jarring. Now he is rethinking that opinion. But I am still worried that if he goes too far down the stiffness path that he will feel beat up. My hope is to find him something that is noticeably stiffer than what he has without going too far.

Forks are really hard for me because it is difficult to test ride one because there are usually so many other variables that change at the same time. I guess I am trying to gather as much information as possible before asking my friend to make a leap of faith.

Thanks,
Scott

maunahaole
06-04-2009, 01:04 AM
Why not get a custom steel fork? The ride can get tuned and he can get the steerer that he needs. People seem to have forgotten that steel forks can ride nicely too.

Steve in SLO
06-04-2009, 01:18 AM
Scott,
With you comments about his CX bike, it sounds like he needs a stiffer fork (others can weigh in here) for the responsiveness and a size larger tire (i.e. go from 23-->25c) or decrease front tire pressure by 10-15 psi to decrease harshness.

bfd
06-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Scott,
With you comments about his CX bike, it sounds like he needs a stiffer fork (others can weigh in here) for the responsiveness and a size larger tire (i.e. go from 23-->25c) or decrease front tire pressure by 10-15 psi to decrease harshness.

Agree, fatter tires at lower psi will do more to decrease harshness than continually changing forks. Since its a CX bike, start with 700x28 or 30 @100psi. If he says too harsh, put on 700x32 or 35 tires with 85-90psi.

Good Luck!