PDA

View Full Version : Road Rides around Park City Utah

Kirk007
06-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Worth taking a travel bike or just rent a mountain bike and stick to trails? Thanks!

dogdriver
06-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Worth taking a travel bike or just rent a mountain bike and stick to trails? Thanks!

I'd bring both. The higher mountain trails are just opening up, but the road riding is all here. I did a 4500 foot 40 miler the other day and never got more than 10 miles from the house (on call at work). Lots of big mileage loops, traffic can be bad but also can be avoided. Many newer roads with breakdown lanes. Give a PM or when you get here grab the maps (one each for trails and roads by the Mountain Trails Foundation) at Jans, White Pine, Cole's or any other bike shop. Dharma Wheels Cyclery runs a group ride most Sunday mornings, and the evening rides are starting from the three above shops. An out and back up Woodland Canyon (east of Francis, UT) is a must-- or do the 120 mile loop to Duschene if you're up for it.

Lolts of options-- I spend more time on the road every year I'm here! Any guy at a bike shop can set you up with some routes-- lots of "A-Teamers" trian here.

Cheers, Chris

Cheers, Chris

Kirk007
06-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Grazie mille Chris. I'll be there for the Western Governors Association meeting (well part of it) and will be in need of physical breaks from mental boredom (ok and some good stuff hopefully)!

Lincoln
06-04-2009, 11:17 AM
I agree with Chris there is good road riding. However the loops are not necessarily very obvious unless you get some local insight and a map. Take him up on his offer of advice!

That said, the mountain biking is ridiculously good (even before all the snow has melted) and many great rides start and end in town. If you only take one bike, go dirt.

Climb01742
06-04-2009, 12:19 PM
salt lake city has some really good restuarants. worth a drive if you have time.

Spinner
06-04-2009, 12:24 PM
An out and back up Woodland Canyon (east of Francis, UT) is a must

take 248 east to kamas, head south on 32 to francis, then east on 35. there are some great places along 35 for a picnic lunch next to a river.

you can also take 32 down to midway; some good grades on this loop.

i've also enjoyed taking 32 north to the rockport state park.

imo, it is easier to rent a suitable mountain bike than a good road bike. there are some solid rentals available in park city.

Kirk007
06-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Thanks everyone for the hints. I will be contacting Chris for local knowledge. Flying so I'll pack the travel bike and maybe rent a mountain bike.

Climb - I've got a lunch meeting tentatively scheduled in SLC. Recommendations for restaurants? I've been to a great, down home Mexican place, can't recall the name right now, but that's about it.

Greg

Lincoln
06-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Lunch or dinner place?

Kirk007
06-04-2009, 03:44 PM
Lunch or dinner place?

lunch - nice but not stuffy (if stuffy is possible in SLC)

Lincoln
06-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Ok, here you go. All in the downtown area of Salt Lake:

Higher end:
Metropolitan
Market Street Grill

Middle:
Squatters Brew Pub (but don't go to the one in Park City)
Lamb's Grill
Red Rock Brew Pub

Low:
Koko Kitchen (Japanese food), no table service, great food.
Cafe Trang, order Vietnamese dishes, not the Americanized Chinese food). Has table service.

In Park City don't miss El Chubasco for lunch.

djg
06-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Budget in SLC? I still really like the Red Iguana.