PDA

View Full Version : Serrota Atlanta - hign-end or low-end?

2wheelwill
06-03-2009, 01:25 PM
I love my Serrota Atlanta but I don't actually know much about it....

Was curious if folks could give me some background as to where the Atlanta fell in the pecking order of Serottas back when it was built - like 1999. Was the Atlanta an entry level frame? Does its geometry differ from other Serottas of its time?

Thanks for any info.

Will-

Elefantino
06-03-2009, 01:34 PM
A great bike. Read on. (http://serotta.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21762&highlight=atlanta)

dave thompson
06-03-2009, 01:45 PM
The Atlanta definitely is not 'low-end'! Second in Serotta's steel line-up only to the top-tier CSi. The Atlanta seems to have developed its own little 'cult' following (I being among the devotees) and is very well liked.

Serotta's 'stock' geometry was the same, for each frame size, across the line. Custom geometry could be had also.

The first Serotta I owned was an Atlanta.

giordana93
06-03-2009, 02:51 PM
does Porsche make an entry-level roadster? same difference. In other words, there's no such thing as an entry-level serotta, just different flavors, some more deluxe than others, all still hand made in the US, unlike some other companies. 'nuff said.

fiamme red
06-03-2009, 02:59 PM
does Porsche make an entry-level roadster? same difference. In other words, there's no such thing as an entry-level serotta, just different flavors, some more deluxe than others, all still hand made in the US, unlike some other companies. 'nuff said.Yes, even the Huffys and Murrays made by Serotta were high-end! :banana:

2wheelwill
06-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the info.

I just picked up my Atlanta from the forum and took it on its maiden voyage last night. What a great ride! For some reason I thought the Atlanta was Serotta's budget frame but it rides better than any steel bike I've ever owned. The geometry is spot on.

One wierd thing i encountered on the Atlanta was that the fork dropouts didn't have even spacing....the space where the hub fits in was too small on one side. Neither my Chris King wheels nor my Ksyriums fit. I'm using an older front wheel right now but I guess i'll have to take a file one side if I ever what to use these other wheels.

Aside from my dropout issue the Atlanta has got to be the best steel bike out there for the money.

Ahneida Ride
06-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Prof. Kirk posted on this a while back...

Serotta began to allow some "customization" to the Atlanta ...
add mission creep and the Atlanta was developing into a CSI.

Pete Serotta
06-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Definitely not low end or entry....Wonderful ride and many were raced.
:cool:

Ti Designs
06-03-2009, 08:54 PM
I want what they're smoking...

The Atlanta was a price point bike. It was $1000 frame & fork, which put it squarly in the same bracket with the Merckx Corsa 01 and the Pinerello Monviso at the time. I still have the notes I made on the catalog from when Ben came to our shop and went over their line - stock sizes, stock colors.

My bike is also a price point bike - I know, I was the one who asked them to build that model. It's a Fierte with custom geometry, nothing anyone on this forum would get excited about. I don't think of it as a price point bike, I think of it as my bike. I don't stay up nights wondering if it's good enough, I don't waste my time thinking about what could be better. OK, that's not exactly true, the rider could be a lot better, the bike is just fine...

maximus
06-03-2009, 09:11 PM
I love the ride of my Atlanta. I have never ridden a CSi but can only imagine that a custom geometry is the only thing that could set it apart. The lugwork has nothing on the elegance of the tdf lugs of a CSi but there is something to be said for the utilitarian simplicity and subtle branding of the Atlanta lugs....

Larry D
06-04-2009, 12:10 PM
My first Serotta was also an Atlanta adn I really liked it's ride.

I have since passed it along to my son since the frame was actually to small for me and the right size for him.

Now to complement my Legend, I have a circa 1992 Davis Phinney model, another nice riding steel frame and fork.