PDA

View Full Version : Campy Wheels Ceramic Bearings

dana_e
06-03-2009, 11:21 AM
I have a few sets of campy wheels with the adjsutable bearings, Zondas and Protons. Has anyone used loose ceramic bearings as an upgrade> I know Cmapy sell sets of bearings in retainers for this, but can I use loose bearings and go on the cheap. Anyone tried the ceramic bearings? Any comments or experiences out there> D

Pete Serotta
06-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Dana, I would save my money and just keep the wheels maintained.

There has been LOTS of hype about ceramic, but unless you are doing a time trial where a second or two can make the difference in a win, save the $$s.

PETE

fiamme red
06-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Bill Bove really likes them. :cool:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=581911&postcount=2

Dave
06-03-2009, 05:20 PM
I read one test where they figured that at high, you might gain .7 watt, per wheel.

jhcakilmer
06-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Dana, I would save my money and just keep the wheels maintained.

There has been LOTS of hype about ceramic, but unless you are doing a time trial where a second or two can make the difference in a win, save the $$s.

PETE

+1.....plus campy and shimano bearings are very high quality....you wouldn't feel the difference!

R2D2
06-03-2009, 09:32 PM
There's a little difference.
I tricked out some Mavics with a cheaper set for fun.
You'll roll up hills a little further.
But as others have stated OEM bearings are very good and there's no real 'Wow I'm flying now feeling.

Ahneida Ride
06-03-2009, 11:43 PM
What about the durability issue ?

If they last longer, they might be cost effective ...

William
06-04-2009, 05:18 AM
What about the durability issue ?

If they last longer, they might be cost effective ...

I'll just whip up some FRN's in my barn for you AR......no charge! :D

William

dana_e
06-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Aren't there loose bearings that are not that expensive.

I have heard that it is not so much ceramic that makes a diofference, it is that the ceramic are rounder than your average, but since Cmapy uses high quality steel the switch to ceramic is not a huge deal.

Flip side, Campy sure goes ga ga over ceramic on their new line up. CULT and all.

csm
06-04-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm holding out until I can get some ceramic bearings that are made in a low-gravity enviroment and thus should finally solve the perfectly spherical issues that have plagued all bearing production thus far.
I mean seriously, what the heck HAS NASA been doing with all my tax money funding the International Space Station if not for perfect bearings?
am I the only one still waiting on his/her payoff from this?

roguedog
06-04-2009, 10:12 AM
I'm holding out until I can get some ceramic bearings that are made in a low-gravity enviroment and thus should finally solve the perfectly spherical issues that have plagued all bearing production thus far.
I mean seriously, what the heck HAS NASA been doing with all my tax money funding the International Space Station if not for perfect bearings?
am I the only one still waiting on his/her payoff from this?

ppfffffttttt... awesome :beer: