PDA

View Full Version : Craig's list chuckle

Kervin
06-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Back in the 80's, one of the bikes I wanted to get was a Huffy Aerowind. The guys at the shop would "save" them for me to work on. At the time, I was using Dura Ace AX cranks and DynaDrive pedals. For me, the Aerowind was the very last drop of the trickle down from Shimano!

This morning, someone sent me this posting:

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/bik/1177530076.html

GuyGadois
06-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Back in the 80's, one of the bikes I wanted to get was a Huffy Aerowind. The guys at the shop would "save" them for me to work on. At the time, I was using Dura Ace AX cranks and DynaDrive pedals. For me, the Aerowind was the very last drop of the trickle down from Shimano!

This morning, someone sent me this posting:

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/bik/1177530076.html

Kervin, I have a set of those DynaDrive pedals for you! They don't fit very well into the standard cranks!

-GG-

fiamme red
06-03-2009, 11:17 AM
The group is Adamas AX. Department store quality.

jblande
06-03-2009, 11:34 AM
chain is pristine!

Kevan
06-03-2009, 12:55 PM
He forgot the decimal point.

Lifelover
06-03-2009, 01:41 PM
:banana: A $750, used Huffy! :banana:

I'm right down the street from Norfolk, let me know if you want me to go look at it for you.

Kervin
06-03-2009, 01:57 PM
...let me know if you want me to go look at it for you.
Thanks, but I just got another email and it looks to be a scam (not that anyone would pay that much for a "true" Huffy). It looks like the scammer got the pictures from Old Ten Speed Gallery:

http://oldtenspeedgallery.com/owner-submitted/bens-huffy-aerowind/

Looks like he didn't do much research into what this "rare" bike might be worth!

avalonracing
06-03-2009, 02:25 PM
And the guy in the gallery bought it for $8! Not $800.

csm
06-03-2009, 02:43 PM
I had to work on those before. pedals were a pain, the brakes sucked, and it weighed almost as much as a schwinn varsity.

peanutgallery
06-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Slight drift, but remember Positron? Egads, a mechanic's fav

Kervin
06-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Slight drift, but remember Positron? Egads, a mechanic's fav
I liked the FF (front freewheel). Shifting while coasting, what a breakthrough that was!

csm
06-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Positron had the first 3 letters right....POS

Michael Maddox
06-03-2009, 04:23 PM
My friend Rick had an Aerowind in that color. I had another Huffy along the same lines, the International. Mine was a burgundy/deep-red with the "aero" downtube and Shimano Adamas (IIRC). Red Benotto and no bottle bosses. Fun bike, and I LOVED it at the time.

I remember getting it the week of the 9th-grade "ride to school day" (our field day) in Junior High. On the way home from that, I was rear-ended by my friend on the Aerowind, flatting BOTH our tires, breaking reflectors, and scratching us both up. Man, I LOVED that bike. Then I realized what a POS it really was and got a racer.

learlove
06-03-2009, 05:51 PM
a huffy aerowind was my first 10speed (8th birthday present, had a huffy bmx before that) the same color as the on in the pic (champaign gold?). My sister had the girls version. both ended up down at my grandparents shore house in avalon, nj. At sometime I stripped everything off and made it a fixed (freewheeling) speed.

I believe they were bought from Best or Toys R Us in montgomeryville, PA. Hand assembled by my father in the basement. I road that bike everywhere. The frame was so big for me I barely had any seatpost showing. the felt like fake suede seat was hard as a rock. cloth bar tape also.

FWIW my next bike was a schwinn world, Black. This was my first event/group ride bike. I gave it to my sister when I bought my first racing bike a cannondale criterium in the summer of 88.

bike history:

kid bikes:

red tricycle
huffy bmx type (training wheels to no training wheels)
huffy aerowind
schwinn world

junior years racing bikes:

cannondale criterium
fuji touring converted to a cyclocross bike
pinarello - cromor tubing
cannondale 3.0 crit
schwinn sierra mtb
TK track bike (one of gibby or arts old bikes)

college bike(93-97)

proflex mtb

post college(99-2000)

bianchi alloro
colnago master x

2000 to 2004 no bikes except the proflex which I left at home while moving all over the NE US for my job.

2004 to now (back into riding w/ some disposible income)

bianchi giro (sold)
fisher big sur mtb
jake the snake cross (sold)
binachi pista (sold)
merckx mx leader (frame)
Guerciotti SL (sold)
Merckx Leader
vin Dessel country road bob
Viner steel (sold)
Merckx corsa extra (frame)
dreesens road (building up now)
dreesens track (frame)