Anyone see it? Thoughts?

Ray
06-03-2009, 04:56 AM
Anyone see it? Thoughts?
What is it? TV show?

-Ray

Kirk007
06-03-2009, 02:40 PM
ABC news docu/drama on the potential future of earth given population growth, climate change and peak oil. I saw the first half which was bleak to say the least but in line with what many scientists predict if we don't make some changes fast. The second half was supposed to paint a more optimistic picture but I'm an early to bed early to rise guy so I turned it off.

fogrider
06-03-2009, 03:00 PM
brain williams was spending a day at the white house so I was watchng nbc. the second half is on tonight.

fierte_poser
06-03-2009, 03:15 PM
meh...i'll be dead then

Kirk007
06-03-2009, 03:50 PM
meh...i'll be dead then

yeah me too, but for better or worse I decided to have a kid who, according to statistics, is likely to be living between 2050 and ? And should he have kids ...
I hope the prognosticators are dead wrong.

avalonracing
06-03-2009, 04:27 PM
meh...i'll be dead then

Ladies & Gentlemen, I'd like to introduce 2012 Republican Presidential Candidate. :D

Ahneida Ride
06-03-2009, 04:42 PM
add morality decline to the mix ....

Onno
06-03-2009, 05:09 PM
add morality decline to the mix ....

How does one even measure this? The fact that the environment is even a topic for moral consideration is evidence of significant progress, as is the idea that it matters not just for our sake, but for the sake of future generations of people, animals, plants, ecosystems, etc. A hundred years ago this was barely conceivable.

Kirk007
06-03-2009, 05:43 PM
H The fact that the environment is even a topic for moral consideration is evidence of significant progress, as is the idea that it matters not just for our sake, but for the sake of future generations of people, animals, plants, ecosystems, etc. A hundred years ago this was barely conceivable.

by white people (oops did I do a Sotomayer?). Many Native American tribes (and others I suspect) have had a long term view for awhile longer than(most of) us invasive species. Though we do have a strong history of proponents from a fair time ago - Thoreau, Emerson, Roosevelt, Thomas Moran come immediately to mind (although they all strike me as more anthrocentric in their concerns for nature than the perspective of which you speak).

fierte_poser
06-03-2009, 11:21 PM
Ladies & Gentlemen, I'd like to introduce 2012 Republican Presidential Candidate. :D

meh...might be dead by then too

fierte_poser
06-03-2009, 11:26 PM
yeah me too, but for better or worse I decided to have a kid who, according to statistics, is likely to be living between 2050 and ? And should he have kids ...
I hope the prognosticators are dead wrong.

I hear ya. But I wouldn't get my info on the subject from ABC news.

sspielman
06-04-2009, 06:21 AM
Quite the propaganda piece...Can you imagine them doing a similar show about the future describing the ways that our civil liberties, personal property rights, and rights to retain the fruits of our labors have all been stripped from us?

johnnymossville
06-04-2009, 07:22 AM
Quite the propaganda piece...Can you imagine them doing a similar show about the future describing the ways that our civil liberties, personal property rights, and rights to retain the fruits of our labors have all been stripped from us?

I think ABC would title that show "Utopia" by the way they roll over there.

Onno
06-04-2009, 08:18 AM
by white people (oops did I do a Sotomayer?). Many Native American tribes (and others I suspect) have had a long term view for awhile longer than(most of) us invasive species. Though we do have a strong history of proponents from a fair time ago - Thoreau, Emerson, Roosevelt, Thomas Moran come immediately to mind (although they all strike me as more anthrocentric in their concerns for nature than the perspective of which you speak).

Excellent point about Native Americans, but I think this confirms the problem of how one measures moral decline or progress. In a sense it's taken European-American culture about 500 years to get to where Native American culture started in terms of the environment, which suggests both decline and progress.

RPS
06-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Anyone see it? Thoughts?No and yes.

Isn’t a major limitation in predicting the future that far in advance that we don’t know what we don’t know?

We know we don’t know whether we will have fusion power, what the population of the earth will be, whether disease, an asteroid, or an alien invasion will wipe out humanity as we know it. Regardless, we can at least make educated guesstimates regarding these variables. OTOH what makes us think we can possibly imagine what 2100 will bring when we don’t have a single clue what unforeseen future events and technologies will be?

I’d be happy if someone can get 2010 fairly close. :beer:

gdw
06-04-2009, 10:16 AM
"Many Native American tribes (and others I suspect) have had a long term view for awhile longer than(most of) us invasive species."

"Excellent point about Native Americans, but I think this confirms the problem of how one measures moral decline or progress. In a sense it's taken European-American culture about 500 years to get to where Native American culture started in terms of the environment, which suggests both decline and progress."

Native Americans, environment......Godwin's Second Law.

zap
06-04-2009, 03:16 PM
I hear ya. But I wouldn't get my info on the subject from ABC news.

or Al Gore.

The bloke has a financial interest in spreading global warming concerns.

Can scientists predict this years TdF winner?

Kirk007
06-04-2009, 03:49 PM
yeah, get past Al -- go straight to the scientists' reports. And some trends/projections seem much more easily forecast than winners of a sporting event. Putting GW/climate change aside as it is so contentious, consider just population growth and food supply, talk about an elephant in the room. Check out National Geographic's most recent issue's story on global food shortages. We are already seeing them.