PDA

View Full Version : Hub Choice? DT, Chris King, Shimano D-A ???

DHallerman
06-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Hi,

I'm going to get a fine new wheelset for my JB-repainted Ibis Spanky.

It will need to take a 9-speed Shimano cassette.

The three choices for hubsets that I'm thinking about are:

* DT 240S

* Chris King road

* Shimano Dura-Ace (7900)

I know all three are good, but what might the pros/cons of each be?

Dave, who still likes Mavic Open Pro rims

Chad Engle
06-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Pros - All good choices that will perform well

Cons - None of them are Phil Wood

paczki
06-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Pros - All good choices that will perform well

Cons - None of them are Phil Wood

+1! :banana: :banana: :banana:

[They're all good -- remember the Kings are noisy!]

JeffS
06-02-2009, 10:04 AM
I usually have these, and Phil Wood and White Industries H2 on my list.

My preference is the WI H2. US-made, silver, and very nice looking (to my eyes)

I like the Phil hubs I have (2 sets), but the weight always puts me off a little.
I like the DT hubs/wheels I have had (3+), but I prefer silver parts on wheels

Dura-Ace - probably a better value than some of the above, but I would rather have a cartridge bearing. For the people who like bike maintenance, cup and cones give them something to play with at night. Comes with the "best" skewers on the market.

Chris King... sorry, I'm just not into the angry bees.

KJMUNC
06-02-2009, 10:04 AM
I recenly bought a pair of wheels w/DT Swiss hubs and sold a pair of Dura Ace. Both were great hubs, but I really love the easy of servicing and swapping the hub body on the DT Swiss (may not be an issue to you, but great for resale options). Bearings in the DTs are crazy smooth and they are super quiet. Depending on the model of rear Dura Ace hub you may be limited to what cassettes you can run so be sure you realize which model you're getting.

Kings aren't on my short list due to price and that annoying noise. No doubt they are good hubs, but the others are equal if not better and quieter (if that's a decision criteria for you).

Sasha18
06-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Don't believe all this buzz about noise. The last three times I've encountered CK hubs, they have been suprisingly silent. Quieter than my record hubs. I can't speak to their technological superiority, but you couldn't buy from a better company - green, good jobs, and supporters of local racing. Plus, they come in all those colors.

Keith A
06-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Depending on the model of rear Dura Ace hub you may be limited to what cassettes you can run so be sure you realize which model you're getting.The Dura-Ace 7800/7801 hubs were limited in the cassette options with just the 10-speed cassettes fitting without modification. However, the 7850 & 7900 hubs not only fit the 10-speed cassettes, but are backwards compatible for both 8 & 9 speed cassettes.

paczki
06-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Don't believe all this buzz about noise. The last three times I've encountered CK hubs, they have been suprisingly silent. Quieter than my record hubs. I can't speak to their technological superiority, but you couldn't buy from a better company - green, good jobs, and supporters of local racing. Plus, they come in all those colors.

They break in. DTs are loud at the beginning as well.
Chris King is a great company. I have a CK BB and it's the bomb. I also love the look of their new Cielo bike line.

rockdude
06-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Having used all three, I am a King fan. But riding Campy limits my king use to MTB.

sg8357
06-02-2009, 11:11 AM
I prefer cup & cone, easy to service.
Excellent seals on Shimano XTR.

XTR & DA are quiet.
I use Campy with a JTEK so I can use my XTR hubbed wheels.

RJR
06-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Consider the White Industries H2's. I had a set built up with Open Pro's and they are fantastic. Unbelievably smooth from the beginning.

DHallerman
06-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Consider the White Industries H2's. I had a set built up with Open Pro's and they are fantastic. Unbelievably smooth from the beginning.

Thanks for the useful replies.

Question for RJR and others who mentioned White Industries H2 hubs: Can you name some places, online, I can go to for a wheelbuild using those hubs?

(My usual "shop" does not carry those hubs.)

Dave, who otherwise might lean toward the Dura-Ace hubs since this blue bike would look better with grey or silver hubs

fiamme red
06-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Question for RJR and others who mentioned White Industries H2 hubs: Can you name some places, online, I can go to for a wheelbuild using those hubs?

(My usual "shop" does not carry those hubs.)Peter White carries White Industries hubs -- I'm not sure he and the manufacturer are related, though. :)

cp43
06-03-2009, 09:45 AM

Dave, who otherwise might lean toward the Dura-Ace hubs since this blue bike would look better with grey or silver hubs

Speedgoat (http://www.speedgoat.com) carries White Industries Hubs, they have a custom wheel building thing on their site. I bought some custom built MTB wheels from them, so far so good.

Chris

Marcusaurelius
06-03-2009, 09:51 AM
I would get shimano because they are quiet unlike chris king. I had a set of older hugi (dt swiss) and they were very loud. I also find campagnolo hubs quite loud compared to shimano hubs.

Of course I would get phil wood if it was a shimano bike.

JeffS
06-03-2009, 09:59 AM

www.wheelbuilder.com
www.prowheelbuilder.com
www.peterwhitecycles.com
www.universalcycles.com

If you're really fond of your current builder you could always deliver the hubs to them.

Chad Engle
06-03-2009, 10:18 AM
http://www.sveltecycles.com/servlet/Detail?no=227

Try Flux. Forum member, racer, all around pretty cool guy it seems.

quehill
06-04-2009, 01:12 AM
If that's a Sebastopol Ibis (and, I think, if it's a Spanky is has to be, right?), then you've pretty much got to go with the White Industries H2s... super nice smooth hubs, bombproof, and from just down the road in Petaluma. I have a set of the old LTA version laced up to DT rims; they're nice stuff.

Definitely add Gravy to your wheelbuilder list-
http://www.gravyprowheels.com/

Cheers

bshell
06-04-2009, 01:33 PM
I used King exclusively until I started using Campy in 2001/2002 for the road. I missed King( I have the tool, do my own servicing, etc).

I put a Record 10 cyclocross bike together in January using Campy F/R derailleurs but Shimano rings/cassette/chain. Works great.

I'm sure many people have already been doing that but I had never ridden anything so equipped and I was anxious about mixing things. I'm really happy with the results and I can continue to use the bomb proof King hubs. And they are an impressive company if you take the time to read their website.

WadePatton
06-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Just keep pedaling and the Kings won't make any noise. I've not run them on the road yet, but have a set of hubs to build. Loved them offroad until I retired the geared bike. Going to rebuild them for disc use via shell swap.

Good results with WI stuff, but haven't tried the hubs yet.

Cups and cones rock too.

I'm easy to pleasy.

sometimes.

Velosmith
06-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Just built up some wheels for my wife's custom Stevenson that I'm jealous of.

White Industries H2 / Velocity Arrowhead / 24/28 hole.

Dead gorgeous, light, quite and reasonable priced. We used some Velo Orange skewers to finish it off.

Great combination