PDA

View Full Version : Canadian shipping

cdn_bacon
06-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Hello all Serottan's, I have a query....

May I ask people's opinions about shipping to Canada? Seems some people absolutely refuse...but I don't know what the big deal is...

Can someone clarify?

Kervin
06-02-2009, 09:54 AM
When I ship to Canada from Virginia, it seems to take a long time. It takes longer at the post office, longer shipping time, and with the mid level shipping, there is not a way to track the package. When you look at those three things, there is a lot that can go bad that is outside of my control.

geoffm
06-02-2009, 01:52 PM
The issue is Customs Brokerage Charges, Duty and GST.

The Vendor pays a freight amount, based upon a quotation provided by the shipper. The Vendor more than likely asks the Purchaser to include that amount in the cost. What the Vendor does not know, is that the shipper has only included the actual costs of transportation and not the other associated costs of importation. If the goods shipped include an expensive bike, for example, those costs can be significant. The shipper, because the Purchaser is not privy to the original shipping agreement, only has the Vendor to chase if the Purchaser does not pay the additional charges. If a Vendor gets stuck with those charges just once, they will not likely want to get burned again...

deechee
06-02-2009, 03:31 PM
some people here also have moral issues with declaring lower values on the customs form. I think most people here don't appreciate how much we're gouged in taxes.

That said, I've had numerous transactions through here that have gone without a hitch - including the shipment of a frameset. I think as long as the shipper is well aware of the possible issues, you're fine. Also, as long as you say you're willing to accept all the stupid fees associated, I think you're fine.

Yes, USPS is probably the preferred method for most of us, since we don't get charged ridiculous brokerage fees, just a straight 5$. and yes, USPS tracking dies off after the border - but I certainly don't care...

Marcusaurelius
06-02-2009, 03:39 PM
There is no duty on bicycle frames and bicycle parts--you just pay the $5-8 fee and 5% gst tax with USPS shipping

I've had many frames and parts shipped to me and I've never had a problem. I 've had things sent to me from California and it took about 4-7 days--and Washington state took 3 days.

USPS tracking number have always worked for me.

timto
06-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Sometimes as well a newbie canadian buyer has no idea about brokerage costs (in addition to GST) that UPS likes to add. It's a percentage that varies with the declared cost. I can see the newbie freaking out - refusing the package and the shipper getting shafted.

It's an ignorance / inexperience thing. When I buy from a U.S. seller I say I'm experienced in all the cross border junk, make a request to ship USPS (to avoid the brokerage) and if they're cool, i'm cool and fire over the payment.

Yes sometimes I get denied. Gotta respect that too.

Tim

DonH
06-02-2009, 07:04 PM
I recently sold a frame on Ebay and shipped it to Ontario,Canada. I ended up using UPS for shipping which was quite a bit cheaper than FEDEX (I usually prefer FEDEX for shipping). It was not a hassle at all, the person at the shipping place filled out the required paerwork for me but I was still a bit worried their could have been a problem getting it through customs.
The frame was delivered from CT in 2 days with no issues at all.

cdn_bacon
06-03-2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks all, I've received items from some members, all have gone through without a hitch, but I've asked some others and they've absolutely refused.

I'll keep hunting for items...

SpeedyChix
06-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Having been burned BAD by FedEx and the buyer on a frame shipment a few years back I said no for some time. Now I use whatever the buyer in Canada requests and make sure they know what all is involved to do it. As a seller, that usually means a trip to the post office to get the parcel out. More work on this end but if there's no rush, that's okay too.

So I'm back to shipping to Canada, would still want to make sure the buyer really was dialed on larger package shipping, but would do it.
In my own FS posts I'll indicate Conti US only to clarify that's the shipping amount included in the price, not that I won't ship to Canada (our very close northern neighbor!). :banana: