PDA

View Full Version : Local teacher mourned after bicycle race tragedy

npla2112
06-01-2009, 09:28 PM
http://www.poststar.com/articles/2009/06/01/news/local/doc4a241e926cb55556147995.txt

What a sad, tragic story. Did anyone know her? Way too young.
Rest in Peace...

bkboom123
06-01-2009, 09:45 PM
wow that really hits "home" quite a bit......how sad

Louis
06-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Assuming this was due to some underlying medical condition you wonder if there's anything at all that could have been done about it.

I (not a medical professional) would guess that a) The % of folks who have something like that is probably low enough that it's not worth testing for it, and b) even if you did test for it, chances are all the false negatives and false positives would make a hash of things.

If you just sit at home in bed one day you wake up, twist your ankle as you step out and hit your head on the dresser corner bashing your skull. I suppose you can either say it was fated and meant to be, or perhaps an unlucky roll of the genetic dice. That's life. ***** happens.

Yesterday on my ride, due to a boneheaded move on my part (took a blind curve to the right too wide because I did not know how wide the guy riding to my right was going to take it), I almost ended up as the hood ornament of a Ford F-150. Luckily I managed to avoid him and stay up. I'll try to be smarter next time.

Louis

rcnute
06-01-2009, 10:11 PM
I don't know anything about physiology, don't race and my riding has never been at max levels, but...recently I just haven't felt like going into the red--breathlessness, heart racing, feeling faint etc. If I feel like I'm pushing it too hard, I'll just cruise. It seems like the potential risks of all out effort (however slight) aren't worth it.

malcolm
06-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Tragic
Often sudden death during physical exertion is from dysrhythmia frequently from undiagnosed IHSS / hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

Louis
06-01-2009, 10:21 PM
recently I just haven't felt like going into the red--breathlessness, heart racing, feeling faint etc.

My opinion: If you're concerned about it, get tested. It's not worth worrying about something like that and having it have such a dramatic effect on your cycling.

toaster
06-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Dying during a race or while on a nice long bike ride isn't a bad way to go, it's just better than many ways of dying.

It's a sad day and a tragic loss for all who knew her. We all have only so many more beautiful days on the bike and I'm grateful everyday.

Louis
06-01-2009, 10:34 PM
We all have only so many more beautiful days on the bike

True, but don't forget that this number is also very much a number that you can change through your actions and decisions. If you really, really, really want to maximize it you can move to someplace with great weather and low cost of living and ride as often as you like. Life's a bunch of trade-offs, but if one particular area is off-the-charts important to you, then as Captain Picard used to say, "Make it so!"

Dude
06-02-2009, 12:55 AM
Obviously, we have no real idea what happened, but it saddens me. Occasionally i'll get an irregular heart beat due to stress and my doctors blow it off because my blood pressure is low, i'm young, active and healthy. I'm waiting for the day where i'm cresting a hill and die.

My doctors (4 different ones so far) seem very lax about my condition and it terrifies me. Just like bike mechanics, a good, trustworthy doctor is hard to find.

My sincerest condolences go out to her friends and family. Bottom line...it sucks.