PDA

View Full Version : should I jump on this?

jvp
06-01-2009, 07:20 PM
'89 serotta colorado (http://raleigh.craigslist.org/bik/1200544835.html)
"1989 Serotta Colorado Frame, Fork, Dura Ace Headset. Excellent condition. Paint is 8 out of 10. Beautiful Grey to Bronze Fade. Set tube 53 cm, Top Tube 53.5 cm, STA 73, HTA 73
$300 cash only. Email for additional pic/details"

I really don't need it, but, I eventually want to build/get a lightweight climbing bike. Would this be a good start? I'm not talking 15lbs. light, more like 20lbs. + compact gearing for climbing. Or would this be better suited to build period correct? In which case I would hold off, I have an '89 paramount that is all period but a little heavy feeling.

joelh
06-01-2009, 07:31 PM
I just posted that. I had it in the classifieds but didn't get much response. If you're interested, drop me a pm.

dave thompson
06-01-2009, 08:01 PM
I believe the Colorado was the top of the Serotta line in those days and later turned into the CSi. Here's what Serotta had to say in their '88 catalog about the Colorado: "The COLORADO encompasses the latest of innovation in the industry. After years of experimentation and experience with oversize tubes (we were one of the pioneers) we have developed the Serotta External Butted Tube. Used in both the seat tube and down tube position, these tubes are 15-20% more effective than other steel tubes of similar weight (25% or greater effectiveness than some steel and aluminum tubes). The tube is an innovation of Serotta Cycles and is ours exclusively. The chainstays are "turned-out"- an innovation we developed with our work for '84 Olympic bikes, and the seatstays are inverted. This will unquestionably the frame that will redefine state-of-the-art."

Yeah, I think you'll wind up with a terrific bike no matter how you dress it up.