View Full Version : affordable bamboo bikes!

bfd
06-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Craig Calfee is coming out with a line of bamboo bikes made in Ghana and other developing countries that will start at $479 for a road or mtb frame up to $759 for a cargo bike with integrated bamboo rear rack:

http://www.bamboosero.com/buy-a-bike.html

The stated goal in building these bikes is as the following:

"So why not just muster our connections in the bike world, solicit donations, and ship container-loads of bikes to places in need? Because our goal is to create self-sustaining businesses that help the developing world break the cycle of dependence on Western aid, one village at a time. Bicycle building can be the first step toward economic independence. Building bamboo bikes on a local shop scale spreads out the little capital investment among many responsible individuals. Bamboo bikes don't benefit from mass production techniques like a steel bike factory can. Sourcing the raw materials is far easier with bamboo so each area can support its own bike building operation. Once a local craftsperson has learned the skills to build bamboo bikes, others can be trained to build bikes. And the skills learned maintaining bamboo bikes transfer to other types of bikes, as well. The new bicycle shop creates reliable, affordable transportation while creating jobs and becoming an important part of a village's growing economy."

His current plans are to build bikes in the following countries:

Bamboosero Locations
The first Bamboosero shops are up and running in Ghana. Shops are nearly ready for business in Zambia, Mexico and Uganda.

And we have plans in the works for Bamboosero shops in Philippines, Cambodia, and El Salvador.

To learn more, go here:

http://www.bamboosero.com/index.html

So, who's interested?!

Cantdog
06-01-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm actually checking out the Zambian operation in a few weeks. If the stars align I might ship one back for myself too...

don'TreadOnMe
06-01-2009, 04:12 PM
The cargo bike looks very cool.
Problem is, I'd like to build one myself...talk about diy-to-low carbon footprint.

vqdriver
06-01-2009, 07:07 PM
do you need rack eyelets, or can you just use drywall screws? :D

maunahaole
06-01-2009, 07:10 PM
do you need rack eyelets, or can you just use drywall screws? :D

Miter to fit, glue and lash it down.

William
06-02-2009, 04:33 AM
Rattan is more supple, stiff yet vertically compliant, and rides like it's on rails.

Rattan is the new bamboo.

Rattan is the new plan man!

http://zisgermanlife.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/bike004a.jpg

William

PS: Sounds cool but I think it would turn into kindling under me.

snah
06-02-2009, 08:07 AM
I've been watching Calfee bamboo for awhile, but have always wondered about maintenance. How do you take care of a bamboo frame?

texbike
06-02-2009, 08:14 AM
Wow! The pricepoints are really aggressive. If I understand the language on the website correctly, they are actually custom.

I wonder if you can get a bamboo fork with a bamboo steerer? :)

Texbike

ADD
06-02-2009, 10:44 AM
I wonder...would the alignment changes much with humidity?