PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Proton rear wheel - ?

katematt
06-01-2009, 09:29 AM
We were out this weekend and I broke a spoke on the rear wheel while climbing. Snapped at the spoke threads drive side. Given the low spoke count it was unrideable.

Its been a great wheel, but is now 5 years old, trued a couple of times and has roughly 6 to 7,000 miles on it.

Anyone have any thoughts/experience on whether the broken spoke is a harbinger of more broken spokes? Or do I keep riding it?

Thanks.

Birddog
06-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Protons to me are bombproof. They should last a long time. I've had a set that has at least 8,000 miles, never broken a spoke, never re-trued, repacked once. I'm about 5'9" 175 lbs and an abuser of equipment. Ride em for another 5,000 miles.

Birddog

97CSI
06-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Protons to me are bombproof. They should last a long time. I've had a set that has at least 8,000 miles, never broken a spoke, never re-trued, repacked once. I'm about 5'9" 175 lbs and an abuser of equipment. Ride em for another 5,000 miles. Birddog+1, except I'm 200+.

Spoke kit is about $30 and you'll have a couple of extra spokes, front and rear, after the fix.

Gothard
06-02-2009, 09:26 AM
Same here. I had one spoke broken on a rear Neutron. Opening the rear caliper allowed the rider to finish with us, minus rear brake, and 20$ after I can't even tell which wheel I repaired.

djg
06-02-2009, 11:21 AM
I cannot say about the Protons, but I had a spoke replaced on a nucleon tubular wheel that seemed to hold up just fine after the repair (I had the wheel for another year of regular use and had no problems at all with it once the broken spoke was replaced).

katematt
06-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Same here. I had one spoke broken on a rear Neutron. Opening the rear caliper allowed the rider to finish with us, minus rear brake, and 20$ after I can't even tell which wheel I repaired.

Tried the caliper but it was on the frame no matter what we did.

Thanks for the input everyone!!

thinpin
06-02-2009, 12:51 PM
I've ridden a pair of protons about 4 years now. Never been to the doctors once! About 10000kms. I would say get it fixed at least once if there rims have got enough sidewall and see how it goes. Great wheels