PDA

View Full Version : O.T.(a little): J.M. Fangio, Alfo Romeo, and drillium

A.L.Breguet
05-31-2009, 05:47 PM
This Alfa I saw at today's Vintage races in Millville, NJ, was supposedly driven by Fangio.

Don
05-31-2009, 05:54 PM
Great photos and fantastic driver. Had the chance to watch him at "The Ring"in 1957 when he drove for Maserati and beat Peter Collins and Mike Hawthorne who drove for Ferarri. Also met him at Road America in the '80's and had him sign my son's helmet. My boy raced vintage Alfas then and still does to this day.

Thanks for the memories!

BumbleBeeDave
05-31-2009, 05:55 PM
. . . of all those bike components back in thje 80's that were drilled out. Is it light or is it "stupid light?"

BBD

Louis
05-31-2009, 09:09 PM
Cool.

When the St Louis chapter of the ALFA owner's club hosted the annual convention back in the early 90's they brought the "Disco Volante" in. It was truly funky.

Louis

http://www.allcarcentral.com/Alfa_Romeo/Alfa_Romeo_Disco_Volante_1952_pb-1992.jpg

steelrider
06-01-2009, 01:52 AM
Alfisti rejoice! Such beautiful metal work.

Flat Out
06-01-2009, 09:33 AM
Fangio was one of the greatest. He didn't even start Grand Prix racing in Europe until he was 36! The car above is a 1938 Alfa Romeo Volpi Monoposto.

There's more info on the car here:
http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z13409/Alfa-Romeo-Volpi-Monoposto.aspx

My favorite Fangio fact is that he did not get his driver's license until after he had won 5 F1 world championships.

Ken Robb
06-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Alfa was the featured marque at the Monterey Historics in August 1985 and they sent several cars from their museum in Italy. Fangio was there to drive one of his old cars very similar to the one above. Phil Hill took it out on track to warm it up for Juan. I was standing next to them when he brought it into the hot pits for the driver swap. Phil told Juan in English/Italian that the tires were "period correct" and hard as rocks from age. Juan smiled and nodded, took off driving it like he stole it and looped it coming down the hill from turn 9 to turn 11. He kept it on the track though and continued pushing it briskly for more laps. I sounded wonderful!

In my living room I have a ramed poster from that weekend signed by Juan, Phil, and Briggs Cunningham whom I sat next to a dinner Saturday Night. I was 2 minutes from getting the poster back from Phil so I could also get Jackie Stewart to sign it whgen some PR guys from Ford dragged him off for photos. Three World Champions on one poster would have been extra-special.

Flat Out
06-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Alfa was the featured marque at the Monterey Historics in August 1985 and they sent several cars from their museum in Italy. Fangio was there to drive one of his old cars very similar to the one above. Phil Hill took it out on track to warm it up for Juan. I was standing next to them when he brought it into the hot pits for the driver swap. Phil told Juan in English/Italian that the tires were "period correct" and hard as rocks from age. Juan smiled and nodded, took off driving it like he stole it and looped it coming down the hill from turn 9 to turn 11. He kept it on the track though and continued pushing it briskly for more laps. I sounded wonderful!

In my living room I have a ramed poster from that weekend signed by Juan, Phil, and Briggs Cunningham whom I sat next to a dinner Saturday Night. I was 2 minutes from getting the poster back from Phil so I could also get Jackie Stewart to sign it whgen some PR guys from Ford dragged him off for photos. Three World Champions on one poster would have been extra-special.

Awesome story. I've raced at Laguna Seca but I sure as hell wouldn't want to do it on "hard" tires. :)