PDA

View Full Version : If you wanted to win a Giro, wouldn't you ride a TT bike? (no spoiler)

Elefantino
05-31-2009, 10:08 AM
DiLuca? Jeez.

Thoughts

jvp
05-31-2009, 10:55 AM
They showed a turny urbany course last night for today's TT, did that influence his bike choice?

dvs cycles
05-31-2009, 11:08 AM
With the wet cobbles and many turns and Di Luca NOT being a strong TT rider I think he went with his strongest chance of finishing upright as opposed to hitting the pavement and losing all chances.
Remember Rassmussen in the TDF?

Climb01742
05-31-2009, 11:33 AM
cobbles+diesel+rain+wind=caution?

jmgorman
05-31-2009, 01:40 PM
Unlike some others, he kept the rubber side down.

Onno
05-31-2009, 02:24 PM
And he had a great time, in the end. He clearly made the right decision. Presumably he did actually have a choice, so he must have thought about it a great deal. It looked like a really difficult ride. Remember that at just 14 km, you have to be all out the whole time, and on wet cobblestones, I'd rather have a stable and familiar bike under me too. Great race, all in all!

93legendti
05-31-2009, 02:33 PM
I think Menchov fell near the end.

Killer must have had more confidence in his road bike.

Remember Jan Ulrich falling in the final 2003 TdF TT?

Elefantino
05-31-2009, 04:14 PM
cobbles+diesel+rain+wind=caution?
Caution? Caution? (Say it like Paul Dooley said "refund?!" in BA)

It's not like Pelizzotti was going to catch him, or Sastre.

The view from the barcalounger this morning (actually, the trainer) was that he should have gone for it. What the hell. It was a great Giro and Universal Sports rocked the house.

My $0.02, converted into euros.

gforce
05-31-2009, 07:30 PM
Watching Menchov fall and scramble up to finish for the win was pretty amazing. At the moment of the fall, Di Luca must have been happy with his decision not to be all stretched out on a TT bike. Unfortunately, his TT abilities were not enough.

Charles M
05-31-2009, 09:30 PM
At the monemt of the fall all of Itally thought DiLuca pretty smart...

He wasn't going to catch Menchov because of a TT bike, but Menchov could have lost it for that reason...

Anyway, Diluca had no choice but to train to his strength and it almost won him a Pink. Good race and thankfully no big announcements...

r_mutt
06-01-2009, 09:11 AM
the title is a spoiler of sorts.

dekindy
06-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Two thoughts.

The announcers said that given the forecasted weather conditions and the course for all of the riders it was a close call whether to go with a regular or time trial bike. Based upon the conditions and his clear preference for road bikes over time trial bikes it was not a surprise that he went with a road bike.

Is it possible he had been in the wind tunnel and is unique that he produces more net power on a regular bike than he does on a time trial bike? It is probably unlikely but it is possible.

majl
06-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Anyone catch how one of the commentators kept stating that Di Luca didn't even have clip-on aero bars, when in fact he did?

Overall though, a really exciting finish to a well covered event. Glad that my local Comcast service offered Universal Sports.

dvs cycles
06-01-2009, 05:19 PM
[QUOTE=majl]Anyone catch how one of the commentators kept stating that Di Luca didn't even have clip-on aero bars, when in fact he did?

QUOTE]
Did not hear that but on the long 60k tt he did NOT have clip-ons.