PDA

View Full Version : Are more expensive jerseys worth it?

dekindy
05-30-2009, 06:27 PM
My riding buddies convinced me to try more expensive riding shorts and to switch to bib shorts. They were correct that the more expensive, thinner pads are more comfortable.

My question now is whether the same is true for jerseys. I have the Serotta club jersey which is the most expensive jersey I own. The other jerseys that I have are a less expensive Pearl Izumi or Bellweather's that were a couple of model years old that I purchased on closeout. Would a more expensive jersey give me better comfort and I am especially concerned with better cooling for hot summer afternoon rides? If so, what brand and model and price point or material combination do you recommend?

avalonracing
05-30-2009, 06:40 PM
A lot has to do with fit. If you are built like a Euro-Pro the European cut jerseys like Castelli will feel better. If you are build more like the average weekend warrior you might like club fit jerseys.

I don't think that you'll find a good return on investment with Rapha and Assos unless you have money to burn (and I assume by your question that you are looking for value)

Alan
05-30-2009, 07:16 PM
I read somewhere that the cheap solid color jerseys are better at absorbing sweat than the high end sublimated jerseys as the they have to be printed on a thinner fabric. I have one sublimated jersey that is good but the rest are not as good at absorbing sweat as the low end PI jerseys. Also make sure to use a layer below as it really helps a lot and is more comfortable. I use the defeet undershirts up to about 85 degrees. They keep you cooler and you can zip the jersey down and cool off. The undershirts make about any jersey comfortable.

Alan

toaster
05-30-2009, 07:29 PM
Any thing other than neon green or orange in a jersey is worth the extra money.

gman
05-30-2009, 08:27 PM
Having worn many a brand and style over the years, both "club" type jerseys and retail, some of the best I have found are the Descent Classic models - in long sleeve, short sleeve and sleeveless. The latter was a difficult one for me, but I recently moved to Texas and they actually are comfortable ( although a mullet would complete the package).

toasttoast
05-30-2009, 08:54 PM
you probably won't regret getting one or two nicer ones, but you can't go wrong filling the rest of your jersey drawer with things like this :)

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=c9958

dekindy
05-30-2009, 11:18 PM
I have Defeet UnDShirts so I will try wearing them for summer. Thanks.

Dekonick
05-30-2009, 11:31 PM
If it is bright, reflective, or otherwise makes cars avoid you its a good investment - If not, then it is all about fashion.

SoCalSteve
05-30-2009, 11:47 PM
A lot has to do with fit. If you are built like a Euro-Pro the European cut jerseys like Castelli will feel better. If you are build more like the average weekend warrior you might like club fit jerseys.

I don't think that you'll find a good return on investment with Rapha and Assos unless you have money to burn (and I assume by your question that you are looking for value)

I cannot speak about Rapha (as I dont own any), but I do own many jersey's from Assos and find them to be extremely comfortable, well made, excellent quality materials, well thought out design and they have lasted for many, many years and given me lots of enjoyment.

So, in my very humble experience (wearing pretty much Assos jerseys exclusively for at least 5 years), I have found that they happen to be a great return on my investment.

Just sayin'

Steve

bostondrunk
05-31-2009, 05:47 AM
Agree with Steve, IF (big if) Assos fits you, you get what you pay for. Their stuff lasts and feels great.

keno
05-31-2009, 06:06 AM
I have a collection of odds and ends jerseys, about half of which I actually wear. For me, the jerseys I most prefer are the ones with the full zippers, or at least longer zippers.

keno

Birddog
06-01-2009, 08:10 AM
The first question you need to answer is if the Serotta (most expensive you own) is better than the others. If the answer is yes, then maybe there is a correlation. My own experience is that more expensive doesn't always mean better. El cheapo OTOH frequently ends up being "you get what you pay for".
I have a couple of Rapha, and they are very nice with a fine hand to the touch and they are thoughtfully designed. I would not try to wear them in our insufferably hot and humid summer days when the temps are over the high 80's though. The same goes for the DeFeet undershirts. Most folks say 85*is about the cutoff for those, I say it's more like 80*, but that's me.

I'd look for quality fabrics maybe with some of the various no stink threads like silver or carbon, long zippers, and good pocket design. One of my favorites is the Castelli Squadra (team kit). I also like an "event" jersey that was made by Voler, it breathes and wicks really well. The Volers are a good $ value. Like someone else said, it's hard to go wrong with Descente and they can be found on sale frequently.

Birddog