PDA

View Full Version : Euro bike site Campy prices spiked overnight

KJMUNC
05-30-2009, 08:38 AM
Hope you've already bought all the Campy you need from Ribble, etc.

I've been keeping a close eye on prices and availability as I want to pick up an alloy Centaur gruppo and no-one seems to have the shifters in stock.

Overnight Ribble increased their prices almost 10% on gruppos and over 15% on Campy components. Interestingly enough the price increases match Bike24's gruppo and component pricing to the penny. ***?

Guess my project is going to take a bit longer......

jlwdm
05-30-2009, 09:12 AM
I just looked at Ribble and $570 for an alloy Centaur group seems good to me. Although I am not a Ribble fan.

Good sources in US also.

Jeff

Dave
05-30-2009, 09:33 AM
I'm not seeing that. I looked at ergo levers just yesterday. The prices haven't changed. Are you forgetting to subtract the 15% VAT?

For example, '09 Centaur shifters are $227, but that includes $34 of VAT, so the final price is $193. That's not bad.

The exchange rate has been going up steadily. It's been as low as $1.36 per pound, but now it's up to $1.62. The best time to buy was several months ago.

KJMUNC
05-30-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm not seeing that. I looked at ergo levers just yesterday. The prices haven't changed. Are you forgetting to subtract the 15% VAT?

For example, '09 Centaur shifters are $227, but that includes $34 of VAT, so the final price is $193. That's not bad.

The exchange rate has been going up steadily. It's been as low as $1.36 per pound, but now it's up to $1.62. The best time to buy was several months ago.

Nope, I actually have a spreadsheet where I've been tracking prices of components and the entire gruppo, all excluding VAT.

Ribble's prices are still as good as you'll find anywhere else, I'm just annoyed that they made such a huge change while I was waiting for stuff to come in stock.

fourflys
05-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Good sources in US also.

Jeff

Any ideas where?

old fat man
05-31-2009, 06:05 AM
Nope, I actually have a spreadsheet where I've been tracking prices of components and the entire gruppo, all excluding VAT.

Ribble's prices are still as good as you'll find anywhere else, I'm just annoyed that they made such a huge change while I was waiting for stuff to come in stock.

pbk does the same. while things are out of stock, prices are surprisingly low. when they finally come back in stock (or just before they come back) the prices creep up.

as others noted, the UK prices are still very good compared to what you can get in the us and at the LBS.

SimonC
05-31-2009, 03:40 PM
I'm just annoyed that they made such a huge change while I was waiting for stuff to come in stock.

Have you seen the GBP/EUR exchange rate recently - they've probably been hammered on the cost from their supplier on the restocking order, and are passing that on to you.

rphetteplace
05-31-2009, 06:26 PM
shinybikes is still $380gbp, but the exchange rate has jumped enormously, and as per our pm convo I don't think alloy centaur shifters are going to be available any more