PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Question - Need advise

johnny1221
05-29-2009, 07:38 AM
I need some advise from you ebay experts. I just sold my frameset on ebay. The auction stated that I would only ship to US Addresses. It turns out that the buyer is registered with ebay in Thailand and lives there however he wants me to ship the frameset to a freight frowarding company in Los Angeles. He has 8 positive feedbacks, all within the past year and no negative feedback. He paid by paypal. Shortly ofter he paid I got a message from Paypal saying that the source of the funds was being investigated and that I should not ship. Later that day I got another message frem Paypal saying that the source of funds had now been verified and that it was ok to ship. The message prom Paypal also said that I am covered by their Seller protection program. Is there any reason that I shouldn't go ahead and ship?

Thanks for your help on this.

moodster
05-29-2009, 07:52 AM
a similar experience and he actually seemed somewhat legit. I told him that I had stated in the ad US only and that if he wanted it he was going to have to wait longer for shipment so I could verify payment received and that it was going to stay in my account. He was okay with this and it all worked out.

Lurch
05-29-2009, 07:53 AM
I think at a minimum, you will need to make sure you get an email documenting the buyer's direction to ship it to a specific address (the freight company), and get a tracking number on the shipment to prove it arrived at the freight company. You'll need these two items to protect yourself should he file a protest later on.

SoCalSteve
05-29-2009, 08:57 AM
I need some advise from you ebay experts. I just sold my frameset on ebay. The auction stated that I would only ship to US Addresses. It turns out that the buyer is registered with ebay in Thailand and lives there however he wants me to ship the frameset to a freight frowarding company in Los Angeles. He has 8 positive feedbacks, all within the past year and no negative feedback. He paid by paypal. Shortly ofter he paid I got a message from Paypal saying that the source of the funds was being investigated and that I should not ship. Later that day I got another message frem Paypal saying that the source of funds had now been verified and that it was ok to ship. The message prom Paypal also said that I am covered by their Seller protection program. Is there any reason that I shouldn't go ahead and ship?

Thanks for your help on this.

Not if Paypal says you are covered...

But, if you want to really be sure, contact the freight forwarding company and make sure they know about the transaction.

Also, make sure to get a tracking number and verify that the package made it to Los Angeles safely.

Good luck!

Steve

d_douglas
05-29-2009, 09:00 AM
I would say go for it.

BUT, I would make sure that you transfer your payment to your bank account, as an extra measure of certainty. I have no idea if this will help, but it would put my mind at ease. I once had a message like this from a buyer and it turned out to be fine, by the way.

I have had several US sellers insist that they won't ship to Switzerland (which I think is a bit ridiculous if I am willing to pay for the added cost and the shipping time is minutes longer than shipping within your own state) so they agreed to send it to a US address. The added cost of shipping twice may not make it worthwhile for the buyer, but it all depends on how badly they want that frame (or whatever it is) that you sold them!

Good luck . . . . .

sc53
05-29-2009, 09:03 AM
I did this with a vintage McIntosh tuner sold to a guy in Czechoslovakia. His relative owned a freight cargo co. in Chicago and he asked that I ship there, then he would take over from that point. I made sure he understood that I would insure and track the package only as far as Chicago (via emails through eBay's messaging service), and he agreed. I shipped to Chicago, confirmed delivery, let him know the box was in Chicago, and that was that. No problems. Don't know if he ever got the box in Czech, but everything went well from my end. It sounds like you're protected with PayPal too. So I would go ahead and ship.

Ken Robb
05-29-2009, 09:48 AM
A few years ago I expedited a shipment for a forumite in Asia as a favor. The box went to his shipping agent in SF and they forwarded it to him. I think this is not too unusual for Asian buyers who want to bid on stuff that "ships only to USA".

cmg
05-29-2009, 11:33 AM
sold a colnago masterlight to a guy from taiwan, he paid paypal and had me ship to some place in california. they were going to forward to taiwan. after the money cleared and in my account i shipped with delievery confirmation. my deal was to send to california after that it was his problem if he got the frame or not.

johnny1221
05-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to go ahead and ship. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

Jeff N.
05-29-2009, 04:55 PM
I've gotten those messages before. Just check your Paypal account to make sure the payment has cleared and is in your account. Then, immediately transfer it to your regular bank account. From then on, I'd go ahead and ship that box outa here! Jeff N.

kgreene10
05-29-2009, 05:00 PM
I noticed a little clause in the PayPal info that says something about how a buyer can make a claim to recover funds under certain circumstances. I'm sure that I am forgetting the language and perhaps someone can enlighten, but the clause seemed worrisome to me. I would call PayPal and just ask them if you are definitely in the clear with this payment.

vqdriver
05-29-2009, 05:24 PM
just ship to the 'paypal confirmed address,' which it sounds like if they say you're covered. usually this is an address which they have verified the buyer's banking information goes to. just because they say you're covered doesn't mean much if you ship to some random address regardless of whether or not the buyer requests it.

rdparadise
05-29-2009, 08:46 PM
I just sold my Csi via eBay and the buyer paid via Paypal. Paypal held up clearing my payment until I loaded the UPS tracking information. Upon receipt of the shipment, the funds were released to me in about 48 hours. Not bad.

Paypal and eBay are working together to end fraud on eBay. This was there explanation for holding the funds until receipt was verified. The other way to get your money sooner is have the seller leave positive feedback. They will release on that as well.

Good luck.

Bob