PDA

View Full Version : Campy install ?

Kingfisher
05-29-2009, 07:05 AM
I'm switching out my old 2001 dura ace to campy 10 spd on my beloved csi....and the guy I bought from did not have the cables and housing....do I need to use oem campy cables and housing or can I go with another manufacturer? I know sometimes they specify oem only, especially for the ergopower shifters.

Birddog
05-29-2009, 07:19 AM
Use Campy. A full cable kit is about $35 MOL.

Birddog

Jeff N.
05-29-2009, 08:02 AM
You could use generic stuff, but go with the Campy kit which, as pointed out, is quite inexpensive. Jeff N.

Charles M
05-29-2009, 09:23 AM
I actually like the SRAM oe kit that uses Gore Ride on better... Also like Jagwires teflon kits. I use Nokon but it's not required...

Lots of kits will work for you.

Ken Robb
05-29-2009, 09:43 AM
Do I remember that Campy housing is a different diameter than Shimano and some other brands? I vaguely remember someone complaining that non-Campy cable ends didn't fit correctly in his ergo shifters. I could also have dreamed this.

djg
05-29-2009, 11:17 AM
There are compatible cables that are not OEM but I think you'll run into trouble at the levers if you try Shimano cables.

I've had very good luck using campagnolo cables and, if you find a good source, they're not expensive. I tend to keep a set or two in reserve. For the full set (cables, housings, etc. for annual replacement), I've only used campag, but the LBS has sold me individual non-OEM cables (not housings) once or twice that worked fine.

saab2000
05-29-2009, 11:24 AM
Use Campagnolo cables and housing. The cable heads are different sizes on different brands and this can cause trouble.

As far as I am concerned, there is essentially no reason to use another brand.

fierte_poser
05-29-2009, 12:18 PM
IIRC, the ultrashift shift cable housing diameter is smaller than the ergopower shift cable housing diameter. If you try to install ergopower housing on ultrashift shifters, the housing will not fit properly into the shifter body. Poor shifting performance will ensue.

The shift cable itself did not change diameter in the switch from ergopower to ultrashift. Only the housing diamemter changed.

Kingfisher
05-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Here's a pic of the shift levers (soon to be bought from another forumite)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7177640@N03/sets/72157618875820714/

Are these ergopower or ultrashift??

Dave
05-29-2009, 02:02 PM
The picture is of pre '09 shifters, not the new ultrashift models. '09 Chous, Record and SR are all 11 speed. '09 Centaur and Veloce are 10 speed ultrashift. The new brake hoods look much different.

malcolm
05-29-2009, 02:45 PM
Jagwire works great with campy, not any better than campy original but as good.

Avispa
05-30-2009, 11:55 AM
I'm switching out my old 2001 dura ace to campy 10 spd on my beloved csi....and the guy I bought from did not have the cables and housing....do I need to use oem campy cables and housing or can I go with another manufacturer? I know sometimes they specify oem only, especially for the ergopower shifters.

I have used Jagwire and Nokon cables successfully with Campy 10 and Campy 11.... I could not see a bit of difference in performance or durability with one or the other. The Nokon cables, did show some rust after one season, but mostly because of my fault. I live in So. Florida where you must wipe aluminium parts after each ride for better durability... I didn't.

However, on Campy 11, you must use everything of their own for warranty purposes as explained on their web site.

..A..