PDA

View Full Version : K BedforD>>>>.LUST PLUS

Pete Serotta
05-28-2009, 08:13 PM
This is not mine, but I saw it on Keith Anderson site and thought it looked very nice and wanted to share....(Yes that is shameless of me) ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27880623@N05/3567272803/

Smiley
05-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Scotties bike, a fixee with many options. Truly beautiful :)

Ahneida Ride
05-28-2009, 08:46 PM
One should see the bike in person ! :banana:

Bruce K
05-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Ray -

It is SO not fair that you can drop in at Kelly's almost any time you want. :crap:

BK

Ahneida Ride
05-28-2009, 10:33 PM
Ray -

It is SO not fair that you can drop in at Kelly's almost any time you want. :crap:

BK

It's ANY time I want .... not almost .... :p ;) :banana: :beer:

yea it's a real treat to see the Master at work.
Kelly is an American Icon.

I bring a drool towel when I visit.

Ray
05-29-2009, 02:22 AM
Man, that is REALLY nice work! In terms of personal taste, though (and that's ALL it is), I don't really prefer when the scooped out section at the top of the seat-stays starts wrapping around the lug. Don't know why, but I dig 'em more like e-richie's work where they stay straight and appear to barely even touch the lug. Obviously connected, but so understated and clean it almost takes your breath away. Is that wrapped approach one of Kelly's signatures or is that just an optional design feature. I have no idea if there's any structural difference, but e-richie's bikes seem to survive the rigors of the road (and dirt) pretty well, so I'd guess not.

But what the hell do I know - I'm riding welded ti almost exclusively these days, so I probably just shouldn't even ask...

-Ray

Bruce K
05-29-2009, 03:59 AM
Ray;

That is a very classic way to attach the seat stays and a signature of a Bedford.

Dave Kirk builds his bikes either way as a customer preference (chceck his gallery) and I am sure Kelly would do the same if asked.

BK

Ray
05-29-2009, 05:07 AM
Ray;

That is a very classic way to attach the seat stays and a signature of a Bedford.

Dave Kirk builds his bikes either way as a customer preference (chceck his gallery) and I am sure Kelly would do the same if asked.

BK
Yeah I know its classic. And beautifully done in Kelly's case. I've seen all manner of lugged frames with that wrapped around treatment. Some old British ones but plenty of others too. Kelly's execution is phenomenal. For some reason, though, I've just never liked that look as much as the more subtle attachment at what seems to be a single point. Strictly an aesthetic preference. I doubt I'm gonna be in the market for lugged steel anytime in the foreseeable future, so this is nothing but mumblings from the peanut gallery. If I ever did, I'd probably get a Kirk with terraplane stays and I've only seen those with the fastback style attachment, which would render the whole question moot.

-Ray

Bruce K
05-29-2009, 05:28 AM
I would guess the Terraplane stays must be done that way due to the added stresses of the more flexible rear end.

At first I wasn't in love with the "side mounted" stays but they grow on you.

Having seen Pete's Bedford in person turns the like to love and ultimately lust.

BK

Climb01742
05-29-2009, 05:47 AM
it's cool that mr bedford is getting his day in the sun. or in this case, day in the paint booth. ;) he deserves all the props he's getting.

Nathanrtaylor
05-29-2009, 08:32 AM
I've never understood how what looks like a minimal attachment between the seat stays and seat tube could be strong enough.

Is that specific junction not as stressed as some others in the frame, or am I grossly underestimating the strength of a properly executed braze?

David Kirk
05-29-2009, 08:37 AM
Is that specific junction not as stressed as some others in the frame, or am I grossly underestimating the strength of a properly executed braze?

Probably both. That particular joint is a low stress area and the stress is mostly a shear stress which a brazed joint handles very well. I don't think I've ever seen a properly done joint here fail.

dave

Nathanrtaylor
05-29-2009, 09:02 AM
Probably both. That particular joint is a low stress area and the stress is mostly a shear stress which a brazed joint handles very well. I don't think I've ever seen a properly done joint here fail.

dave

This makes a lot of sense, thanks.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program of bike frame drooling. :)

Ahneida Ride
05-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Kelly is fully custom.

Lugs, Fillet, says, tubes, attachments, mounts, forks, are all adjustable.