PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial on STI install?

jh_on_the_cape
05-28-2009, 11:10 AM
Hey all. I am a long time Mountain biker, and have done plenty of bike repair.

I bought a cross bike on the classifieds, and it came with bar end shifters. My prior bike had STI shifters which I prefer, so I wanted to switch to those. It's Dura Ace triple 9 speed. Bike shop would only order 10 speed for me, and I did not want to shell out for a new cassette and chain... so ebay it was. And I know the LBS does not like installing ebay stuff on a classifieds bike, which I totally understand.

SOooo, I know I can install these things... but would prefer a nice blow by blow pictorial on how to do it best. I have googled and searched, but nothing really good shows up.

Any leads to a nice writeup of this?

The box has new cables and housing in it. I have a Pedros cable cutter. It also has the gear indicator thingy.

Thanks!

CNY rider
05-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Hey all. I am a long time Mountain biker, and have done plenty of bike repair.

I bought a cross bike on the classifieds, and it came with bar end shifters. My prior bike had STI shifters which I prefer, so I wanted to switch to those. It's Dura Ace triple 9 speed. Bike shop would only order 10 speed for me, and I did not want to shell out for a new cassette and chain... so ebay it was. And I know the LBS does not like installing ebay stuff on a classifieds bike, which I totally understand.

SOooo, I know I can install these things... but would prefer a nice blow by blow pictorial on how to do it best. I have googled and searched, but nothing really good shows up.

Any leads to a nice writeup of this?

The box has new cables and housing in it. I have a Pedros cable cutter. It also has the gear indicator thingy.

Thanks!

See if you can beg or borrow a copy of Barnett's Manual. (Local library perhaps?)
I have 5 thumbs but have been able to follow their directions and build up multiple bikes. The sections on STI installation and gearing set up are excellent.
Also check the Park tools website. I haven't used it but have seen it recommended numerous times.

dwightskin
05-28-2009, 11:53 AM
parktool.com has bunches of information.

But, how about "read the manual"

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/SI_6K20A_001/SI_6K20A_001_En_v1_m56577569830616322.pdf

SpeedyChix
05-28-2009, 12:04 PM
Do you have the Shimano instruction sheet?
-edit: looks like a link to that is in above post...while typing this one

The biggest thing is when you run the cable through (and snug up the cable) for the shifters, the levers need to be clicked into their most 'relaxed' setting. With the hood rolled back it's pretty obvious. Keep the cable taunt if for some reason you start to click through the shifting and haven't tightened up the cable.

Very bottom of this park tool page (it's campy in the photos, but same concept)
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=117

dvs cycles
05-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Here are the instructions for the Dura-Ace 7700's. :beer:

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/SI_6CX0D_001/SI_6CX0D_001_EN_v1_m56577569830625472.PDF

dogdriver
05-28-2009, 12:33 PM
The Park "Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair" goes thru the process with all makes of brifters, including spiffy pics. Despite it being a bit of a Park tools advertisement, I find it indispensable as an occasional wrench...$24.95 retail, can usu. be had for $10-15 on ebay...

JD Smith
05-31-2009, 10:32 AM
And I know the LBS does not like installing ebay stuff on a classifieds bike, which I totally understand.

I don't understand this at all. A good LBS performs installations of components on bikes, period. They should be happy to have a customer willing to pay the hour rate for their mechanical services. Do they have something against people selling unwanted equipment instead of throwing it away? Do they value their mechanics for their ability to handle jobs customers would rather not tackle?

PacNW2Ford
05-31-2009, 11:24 AM
I don't understand this at all. A good LBS performs installations of components on bikes, period. They should be happy to have a customer willing to pay the hour rate for their mechanical services. Do they have something against people selling unwanted equipment instead of throwing it away? Do they value their mechanics for their ability to handle jobs customers would rather not tackle?

What if something goes wrong with the supplied parts? Case in point, I sent a friend of mine (who is a certified USCF (or USAC) mechanic) some STI shifters. When he went to install them, one of them was not functional. They worked fine the last time I had them on a bike. Now imagine he got them from me on eBay and took them to a shop where it was discovered that they didn't work. How does the shop make it right? Take replacement stuff out of their own stock? Tell the customer (who believes they were functional when they went in) that his parts are broken? I don't think it is worth the hassle. FWIW, my LBS will install anything I ask them to, but I've shopped there for 14 years and we kind of trust each other.

JD Smith
05-31-2009, 07:23 PM
What if something goes wrong with the supplied parts? Case in point, I sent a friend of mine (who is a certified USCF (or USAC) mechanic) some STI shifters. When he went to install them, one of them was not functional. They worked fine the last time I had them on a bike. Now imagine he got them from me on eBay and took them to a shop where it was discovered that they didn't work. How does the shop make it right? Take replacement stuff out of their own stock? Tell the customer (who believes they were functional when they went in) that his parts are broken? I don't think it is worth the hassle. FWIW, my LBS will install anything I ask them to, but I've shopped there for 14 years and we kind of trust each other.

Yes, you tell the customer the part is broken. It shouldn't be that big of a hassle to show the customer when he comes in. Then you are presented with an opportunity to sell the customer a functioning part.

PacNW2Ford
05-31-2009, 11:27 PM
Hey, I'm from Oregon where we call 911 to complain about the service at McDonald's. Maybe you have reasonable people where you live :)