PDA

View Full Version : Can I use my road stem on my MTB?

d_douglas
05-28-2009, 07:42 AM
Is it safe and/or recommended for a 195lb XC rider to use a road stem on a hardtail? Assuming that it is a 31.8mm stem, bars are interchangeable, but is the clamp area wide enough? I use a 680mm bar, so leverage MAY be an issue.

I am looking for a 130mm MTB stem and have seen some great deals on road models, but wonder if they compromise safety. I have a 90mm Thomson X2 in mint condition that I would like to trade for a 130mm silver model if anyone's interested...

Thanks for feedback.

Lurch
05-28-2009, 08:09 AM
Is it safe and/or recommended for a 195lb XC rider to use a road stem on a hardtail? Assuming that it is a 31.8mm stem, bars are interchangeable, but is the clamp area wide enough? I use a 680mm bar, so leverage MAY be an issue.

I am looking for a 130mm MTB stem and have seen some great deals on road models, but wonder if they compromise safety. I have a 90mm Thomson X2 in mint condition that I would like to trade for a 130mm silver model if anyone's interested...

Thanks for feedback.

Depends on your style of riding would be my non useful answer. I think folks usually recomend you use a 4 bolt stem, especially if you do much in the way of drops or funky impact stuff. I usually error the other way. i will ride a Thomson X4 on road, but no way I ride an X2 on my mtb.

YMMV, I'm a bit bigger then you and tend to be hard on some of my equipment.

d_douglas
05-28-2009, 08:35 AM
I get that feeling. It may not be such a great deal if I stress out that the faceplate on the stem is going to snap every time I hit a bump!

One case in point is Ritchey's 4 axis stems - those are totally interchangeable, right?