PDA

View Full Version : Funny CL posting on bikes for sale

H1449-6
05-27-2009, 07:44 AM
http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/oma/1102524589.html

I've bitten my tongue for months but I can't take it anymore! Everyone has the right to sell their bikes for whatever they want but there needs be a sanity check on those who don't know what they're talking about. I know the economy is bad and you might have found a "jewel" in the rough but for crying out loud - do some research.

The following is a guide for those of you who are absolutely clueless about your garage sale or thrift store finds.

1) Just because your bike was made in Europe doesn't mean you've got a winner. They made alot of junk, too.
2) A low end bike that was $97.00 in 1976 is not magically worth $400.00 now.
3) Adult bikes don't have goosenecks.
4) If we can see that the chain is rusty in the picture, automatically grade the bike as "crappy".
5) If you get asked how many speeds it has and don't know, immediately pull your ad.
6) Telling us that you found it in a barn is not a rationale for you overpricing it.
7) Take the $10 price tag from when it didn't sell at the garage sale off the seat before you take your CL pic and ask $250 for it.
8) "Light and FAST!" . . . o.k., if you say so.
9) Not everything with those cooky, curvy handlebars is a race bike.
10) Don't be offended if someone offers you an insulting amount less than you want for your bike - they're just smarter than you.
11) Tires are tires and wheels are wheels. These terms are not interchangable.
12) Breaks should be referred to as "brakes", petles or petals as "pedals".
13) Your bike was not made by Shimano. I know you saw that name somehwere on it but trust me on this one.
14) Vintage implies it was worth something when it was new, otherwise it's just old.
15) High tensile steel - yeah, they put a sticker on the bike that says it but I wouldn't be bragging about it.
16) And finally - go ahead and repost that 10 speed Huffy every week - no one will tire of its charm. If you're willing to endure the humiliation, we'll be there for you until you reach your target market.

I hope this has cleared up some things for the cycling-challenged sellers.

dookie
05-27-2009, 08:04 AM
The following is a guide for those of you who are absolutely clueless about your garage sale or thrift store finds.

i'm sure *this* site is chock full of offenders...

vqdriver
05-27-2009, 09:40 AM
that is excellent. +1 to all of it.

fwiw, it's not confined to bicycles. i saw win95 on a million diskettes offered for $100 cuz it's 'vintage' and 'OG.' like there's people collecting these along with vinyl records.

you should post it in every regional cl site.

jvp
05-27-2009, 09:43 AM
17) POSTING YOUR AD IN ALL CAPS DOES NOT MAKE IT WORTH $400.

gemship
05-27-2009, 09:58 AM
that is excellent. +1 to all of it.

fwiw, it's not confined to bicycles. i saw win95 on a million diskettes offered for $100 cuz it's 'vintage' and 'OG.' like there's people collecting these along with vinyl records.

you should post it in every regional cl site.

yes, nor is it confined to used cars on craigslist with roughly 100,000 miles and about 6 to 8 years old.

pdmtong
05-27-2009, 10:06 AM
slight drift - here's my vote for recent satire

very sexy tarmac pro...RIDE IT LIKE A CL HOOKER! 58cm - $1150 ()
--------------------------------------------------------------------------Reply to:sale-gpjbx-1182284909@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-05-21, 11:46AM PDT
...super scrumptious and sexy 58 cm blue/black Tarmac Pro...frame and fork and seatpost only...okay...well I will through in the Fr Deaur hanger too...cause thats the kind of guy I am...this bike rides like a sweet lady f the night...smooth and wet...sheer delight...except that you pay only once and then the bitch is yours...you'll own the road.

d_douglas
05-27-2009, 10:42 AM
but funny as hell.

avalonracing
05-27-2009, 10:49 AM
I blame the Fixie trend.

pdmtong
05-27-2009, 11:56 AM
but funny as hell.
yea, agreed....I coulnd't make that up even if I tried....

nahtnoj
05-27-2009, 12:22 PM
I blame the Fixie trend.

+1

Hipsters more generally.

Kevan
05-27-2009, 12:25 PM
for meth addicts who try to pedal [sic] stolen bikes, which I understand is their preferred trading commodity.