PDA

View Full Version : Track Bike

RBaker2778
05-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Hello All,

I need a few suggestions from some of the current or former track racers on the forum. I have just started getting into the track scene at the Velodrome in Trexlertown, PA. I am currently taking a beginners track racing course, using a borrowed bike. Needless to say, I have been bitten by the track bug, and now I need a new ride.

I don't want to spend a fortune on a new custom bike, but I don't want to buy a total POS either. Most importantly, I do NOT want to get a "fixie" with road geometry that is designed more for a bike messenger/hipster than for the track.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It should be noted that I am 225lbs, and built like a linebacker more than a cyclist, so stiffness is a big requirement.

Also, if anyone has a used track bike for sale with a 55-56 TT, I would be more than willing to discuss.

Thanks,
Rob

Smiley
05-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Pose the question to Forum Buddy Keno who bought a used track frame and did exactly what your doing with lessons and such.

waychel
05-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Ah, bad timing, I just sold my 55cm Bianchi Pista Concept last week. My observation has been that most serious Cat 3-5 racers use major-manufacturer aluminum track bikes such as the:

Bianchi Pista Concept
Jamis Sonik
Specialized S-Works Langster
Trek T1
Fuji Track Pro
Felt TK2

You can usually root around and find used Fuji Track Pros for pretty cheap. The 2009 model has an integrated seat mast and is pretty pricey, but previous models have been affordable.

I don't know how much you're looking to spend, but I've been watching this auction on eBay. This is a really well-equipped S-Works Langster that I think is a good deal. Suntour Superbe Pros are widely regarded as some of the smoothest track hubs ever made.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370203863330&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching (S-Works)

If you're more interested in steel, the EAI Bare Knuckle and the ubiquitous Bianchi Pista are good options. They have nice, steep angles and are fairly affordable. Just don't get the new flat-bar Pista, which has a really relaxed head tube angle. Personally, I'd go with aluminum since you're a heavier rider.

Keep in mind that every track is different, so it might be best to talk with T-Town regulars to see what's working for them.

There must be some experts on this board (11.4?) who know much more than I do.

40x14
05-26-2009, 02:30 PM
Two other major names not mentioned are the cannondale (capo) and van dessel.

I've seen guys race and do well on bianchi pista steel bikes in the early stages (cat 5/4/3) of their fixed gear fixation.

It's not an awesome bike for racing but respectable enough and the only budget bike that I know of with true track bike geometry including a 28 rake fork.

It will accommodate a front brake (only) so you can ride it on the street for training and stop worrying about errant dogs or squirrels. The Felt TK2 and Cannondale Capo accommodate a front brake too.

--- edit ---
oops, didn't realize you're 225lbs. You probably want to go with an aluminum bike like a cannondale or a fuji. The a bianchi pista steel may feel noodley under the large amount of torque you are generating.

cp43
05-26-2009, 02:46 PM
I haven't done any track racing, but I do have an IRO Mark V that I use as a fixie. It's plenty stiff for me (220 lbs), and the frame and fork cost less than $300. I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for in terms of geometry, so it may be too close to road geometry for you, but worth a look. My IRO is much twitchy than my road bikes.

IRO Cycle (http://www.irocycle.com/)

Good luck with the search.

Chris

05-26-2009, 05:29 PM
No need to exclude either aluminum or steel. Either will give you a good ride.

For price you can hardly beat the Bareknuckle. It's well built, durable, and the geometry is about as good as you can hope for in a dedicated track bike. You are on an easy track to ride -- many bikes would serve your need -- but if you plan to make a pilgrimage to a more technical track such as ADT or Alpenrose, you'll appreciate real track geometry. And the Bareknuckle delivers.

You might also check out the keirin bike blogs and listings because there are a lot of keirin frames for not much money that actually are very nice track bikes (notwithstanding the fact that messengers happen to like them as well). A keirin frame has to be retired from parimutuel racing after a crash, regardless of how minor or whether the bike was damaged at all, so there's a ready volume of both dinged and near-perfect keirin frames around. Just don't bother with the dinged or worn ones and get a nice bike you can race for not much money.

In your neck of the woods, of course, be sure and check with Tom Kellogg to see if he might have something used available. He is one of the (if not THE) best frame builders in the country, he knows T-town like no other builder, and if you can grab one of his frames, it's worth eating rice for a couple months to get it.

Though track frames look really simple, manufacturers and builders have a pernicious tendency to screw them up. Usually it's something really stupid. Ridley for example had a problem with clearances -- you had very little fore and aft range to adjust your rear wheel. I have seen frames from just about every builder -- mass-market and elite custom -- that had such an issue. Chainring clearances, tire clearances, track ends that don't clamp properly, you name it. Honestly, be sure you can actually ride and work with a bike before you get it, or be sure your seller stands behind it. There are always a couple people on the infield cussing at their bikes because of shortcomings in their frames. Steering is another issue, but just getting tires and chainrings mounted can be a challenge as well.

android
05-26-2009, 05:59 PM
In your neck of the woods, of course, be sure and check with Tom Kellogg to see if he might have something used available. He is one of the (if not THE) best frame builders in the country, he knows T-town like no other builder, and if you can grab one of his frames, it's worth eating rice for a couple months to get it.

Though track frames look really simple, manufacturers and builders have a pernicious tendency to screw them up. Usually it's something really stupid. Ridley for example had a problem with clearances -- you had very little fore and aft range to adjust your rear wheel. I have seen frames from just about every builder -- mass-market and elite custom -- that had such an issue. Chainring clearances, tire clearances, track ends that don't clamp properly, you name it. Honestly, be sure you can actually ride and work with a bike before you get it, or be sure your seller stands behind it. There are always a couple people on the infield cussing at their bikes because of shortcomings in their frames. Steering is another issue, but just getting tires and chainrings mounted can be a challenge as well.

I would seriously figure out how to afford a frame from Tom. He is a track frame building expert and his bikes are about perfect. That way you avoid all of the problems listed here. Most custom builder don't do enough track bikes to get the details nailed correctly on every single one. Tom does so many he can do it in his sleep.

RBaker2778
05-26-2009, 06:17 PM
I actually know Tom Kellog personally, as he and I used to race on the same team. He is a super nice guy, but as you all know, perfection takes a ton of time and money. I will give him a call, as I haven't talked to him in a year or so.

Money isn't so much the issue, as is spending a ton of money on something I really have very little experience with. I was thinking of going cheaper first, then graduating to the real deal.

I will let you know how my conversation with TK goes, and if he has anything that would fit my bill.

fiamme red
05-26-2009, 08:35 PM
If you race at T-Town, you're not far from Havnoonian (http://www.hhracinggroup.com/). They have a lot of experience with track bikes, and from what I've heard, their prices are very reasonable.

fiamme red
05-27-2009, 05:45 PM
http://www.yellowjersey.org/panak.html

RBaker2778
05-27-2009, 09:43 PM
http://www.yellowjersey.org/panak.html

Is something like this better than going with a bike like the Felt TK2? They seem so far from each other, but are about the same price. Which would be better for me?

fatallightning
05-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Is something like this better than going with a bike like the Felt TK2? They seem so far from each other, but are about the same price. Which would be better for me?
I'd stay big burly aluminum. Leader makes nice, stiff, aero, aluminum track frames that are quite inexpensive, leaving you more more money for a nice wheelset and cranks.

http://www.leaderbikestore.com/prod_images_blowup/725tr_bk12.jpg

http://www.leaderbikestore.com/prod_images_large/735TR09W1.jpg

http://www.leaderbikestore.com/cat_tracksingle.cfm

waychel
05-28-2009, 03:52 PM

I would definitely go for the TK2 over the Panasonic. Yellow Jersey is charging $1395 for a FRAMESET.

The TK2 is nicely spec'd out. The Omnium cranks are among the stiffest out there, and the Deda bars are used by tons of racers. Replace the stock wheels with some nice tubulars, and you'll have an awesome velodrome steed.

fiamme red
05-28-2009, 03:58 PM
I would definitely go for the TK2 over the Panasonic. Yellow Jersey is charging $1395 for a FRAMESET.

The TK2 is nicely spec'd out. The Omnium cranks are among the stiffest out there, and the Deda bars are used by tons of racers. Replace the stock wheels with some nice tubulars, and you'll have an awesome velodrome steed.Once you're already replacing the stock wheels, why not just buy a frame, and hang whatever components you like on it?

waychel
05-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Once you're already replacing the stock wheels, why not just buy a frame, and hang whatever components you like on it?

What would the total cost be for building up a Panasonic with decent components? $2000+?

What would the total cost be for buying a complete Felt, selling the stock wheelset, and buying a new wheelset? $1600?

Pretty big difference. Plus you'd have to wait 5 weeks+ for the Panasonic.

40x14
05-28-2009, 04:34 PM
11.4's comments are some of the most level headed and informative I've read with respect to track bikes and choices.

I own a felt tk2. I race it and like it a lot. I bought the frameset alone, but know a couple of other racers who bought the complete bike and also like it a lot. The EAI bareknuckle is also a great bike though tends to run "tall".

Whatever you get, the only other advice is to try and go through a local channel make your purchase so that you can try it on for size. Track bike sizing seems to vary a lot. For that matter, I guess road bike sizing varies a lot too.

edit: also $1,400 for a panasonic frameset is about the same as a waterford custom made to order. You are right about the price being much higher than a tk2.

RBaker2778
06-04-2009, 12:29 PM
I am wound up deciding on going all in. I am getting a Serotta steel track bike, brand new, custom made. It is a little more money, but I would rather buy one bike now than upgrade 2 or 3 times over the next few years. I go Monday for my fit, so wish me luck!

Thanks,
Rob

fiamme red
06-04-2009, 12:32 PM
I am wound up deciding on going all in. I am getting a Serotta steel track bike, brand new, custom made. It is a little more money, but I would rather buy one bike now than upgrade 2 or 3 times over the next few years. I go Monday for my fit, so wish me luck!

Thanks,
RobSerotta? Never heard of them before. ;)

Monthly Payment
06-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Wow. Good call. I bought a cheap track bike I'm in the process of changing out. I wish I had the brains to have started out with a serotta. Can't wait to see pictures if you don't mind.

waychel
06-04-2009, 02:03 PM
So jealous. Talk to the old-timers about your local track's characteristics before you decide on which geometry you want.

RBaker2778
06-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Funny you should mention that, as I am about to PM 11.4 on the geometry issue. He seems to be the expert on track bikes on this forum, and I hope he won't mind lending his advice.

I ride at Trexlertown which is a 333 meter track, and is supposedly very forgiving. I also want to be able to ride other more aggressive tracks when possible.

11.4, if you read this, would you mind sharing your opinion on the geometry issue. I am sure Paul Levine will nail it, but I appreciate track racer input.

Thanks,
Rob

fiamme red
06-05-2009, 09:02 AM
11.4, if you read this, would you mind sharing your opinion on the geometry issue. I am sure Paul Levine will nail it, but I appreciate track racer input.http://www.frameforum.org/forum2/index.php?showtopic=3822