PDA

View Full Version : shimano 8/9 compatibility

don compton
01-01-2005, 11:23 PM
dear members,
if i use a dura ace set of 9-speed downtube shifters, will they be compatible with an old 8-speed ultegra rear derailleur ? i will use a shimano 9-speed cassette.
sincerely,don c. :confused:

yeehawfactor
01-01-2005, 11:29 PM
dear members,
if i use a dura ace set of 9-speed downtube shifters, will they be compatible with an old 8-speed ultegra rear derailleur ? i will use a shimano 9-speed cassette.
sincerely,don c. :confused:
i believe the answer is yes if you use them as friction shifters.

don compton
01-01-2005, 11:32 PM
dear yeehawfactor,
thanks for your reply, but i was wondering if the combo would work in sis mode.
sincerely, don c.

MRB
01-01-2005, 11:37 PM
Hi,

I have found that the 8 speed generation of rear der's are *not* 9 speed compatible. Some times you get lucky though.... in spite of Shimano's best efforts.

HTH,

JA

dsimon
01-02-2005, 01:11 AM
YEs it doesnt matter 8 or 9 sd it will work i have a friend using 9sd durace sti with 8spd read duraller cheap a$$ but it works no flaws....

dbrk
01-02-2005, 03:33 AM
Okay, all friction shifters (or shifters in friction mode) work with all derailleurs, that has never been otherwise.

The DA barends for 9spd are made for 8 and 9 in SIS mode. As for the STI shifters, I will defer to csiowner. The vast majority of bike shops don't experiment with compatibility, at least not in my experience, and it's only if the mechanic has done the fiddling that he (or she) has notions of using different cassettes (say Shimano 9) with, say, Campag Ergo shifters (and I am very happy with such compatibilities). But when 9spd Shimano came out I did this experiment (not only because it is good information but because I would have used it, NEVER wanting to give in to the corporate insistence that we must buy all their new stuff or else suffer) and I could not get the shifting satisfactory, that is, STI 9 with an 8spd rear DA or Ult der did not work very well. The same is _not_ true of the bar ends.

dbrk
who loves nothing more than to make things work that aren't "supposed" to

weisan
01-02-2005, 07:42 AM
I know this may not be what you are looking for....but for the record, I am using Shimano 105 8-speed brifters with 8-speed deraileur on a rear wheel with nine speed cogs. They work just fine, I didn't say perfect, but it's good enough for me. :banana:

weisan

bubba
01-02-2005, 09:08 PM
dear members,
sincerely,don c. :confused:Absolutely yes, assuming the derailer is not wore out or sloppy. Use the normal cable mount at the RD.

bubba
01-02-2005, 09:14 PM
The DA barends for 9spd are made for 8 and 9 in SIS mode. As for the STI shifters, I will defer to csiowner. The vast majority of bike shops don't experiment with compatibility, at least not in my experience, and it's only if the mechanic has done the fiddling that he (or she) has notions of using different cassettes (say Shimano 9) with, say, Campag Ergo shifters (and I am very happy with such compatibilities). But when 9spd Shimano came out I did this experiment (not only because it is good information but because I would have used it, NEVER wanting to give in to the corporate insistence that we must buy all their new stuff or else suffer) and I could not get the shifting satisfactory, that is, STI 9 with an 8spd rear DA or Ult der did not work very well. The same is _not_ true of the bar ends.

The 9 speed barends work with an 8 speed shimano cluster if you also use a PRE 9 speed DA RD. As for 9 speed DA sti or any other shimano 9 speed sti, they will work in 9 speed mode with any shimano sis RD other than a PRE 9 speed DA RD which has a different throw ratio. In index mode, there is no difference in cable pull between a barend and an sti shifter.