PDA

View Full Version : there is no pill

Climb01742
01-01-2005, 05:33 PM
all the news lately about the side-effects of the pain pills (and the countless other kinds of pills folks take) and the pulling of the pills from the market is disturbing stuff. but something else is more disturbing (and saddening) i think.

when did we become a country where people believe there is a pill for everything?

i got to thinking about this today as i was trying to figure out my goals for 05. on one level, i'm like everyone else. i wish there were easier ways to achieve things. shortcuts. but...

i want to get faster. there is no pill that will do that...honestly, naturally, legally.
i want to get skinnier. there is no pill that will do that...honestly, naturally, legally.
i want to ride more miles this year. there is no pill that will do that...honestly, naturally, legally.
i want to climb mt washington to the best of my ability. there is no pill that will do that...honestly, naturally, legally.
i want to be wrapped less tightly, leave more work at the office, be more human to the folks i love. there is no pill that will do that...honestly, naturally, legally.
i want to eat better, eat fewer sweets, and god forbid, eat more foods that are green. there is no pill that will do that...honestly, naturally, legally.

to do these things, "I" have to do them. there is no pill that will do them for me...honestly, naturally, legally. being an athlete is one way to learn this lesson. my folks helped teach it to me, too, a lot when i was a kid. i waver, i screw up, i wish at moments it was different...but at the end of the day, i know there are no shortcuts, no magic. just work, sacrifice, sheer stubbornness.

how did we become a country that looks to pills instead of looking inside ourselves?

Len J
01-01-2005, 06:28 PM
Life is about choice..............Unfortunatly too many people make these choices either unconciously or not sure of the real reasons. The more aware we are of our own true self, the more likely we are to make good choices.

The best navigation point I've ever found is asking myself "what can I do that will make me feel good about myself?" When I ask this question, I usually do the right thing.

Thought provoking post Climb, thanks.

Len

slowgoing
01-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Taking a pill for pain is fundamentally different. There aren’t any "proper" fixes like eating right to lose weight or training hard to go up Mt. Washington faster. It’s always there and leads to a terrible quality of life. The same with arthritis and the pain associated with that. I feel terrible for people with these conditions and don’t blame them at all for taking pills. There’s not much else they can do.

Climb01742
01-01-2005, 07:45 PM
Taking a pill for pain is fundamentally different. There aren’t any "proper" fixes like eating right to lose weight or training hard to go up Mt. Washington faster. It’s always there and leads to a terrible quality of life. The same with arthritis and the pain associated with that. I feel terrible for people with these conditions and don’t blame them at all for taking pills. There’s not much else they can do.

slow.i concurr totally...truly sick people are helped by pills...but most pills are being both over-prescribed and over-sought-after...my industry (advertising) is partly to blame...it's unforgiveable to entice nominably well/healthy people to imagine they have a malady that this latest, greatest pill can cure...it only fosters the a-pill's-the-answer mentality. how many health issues today couldn't be helped by simply eating better and exercising more...but where's the profit in that...and it takes effort.

e-RICHIE
01-01-2005, 09:01 PM
http://www.formula303.com/

Ti Designs
01-01-2005, 09:19 PM
Thanks, but I get plenty of pill offers in my e-mail, don't need more here.

For those who live with pain it's a quality of life issue, can't much blame them for turning to the pills as a last resort. As for the rest of the world, it's an ease of use thing. Humans are lazy by nature, if they can get the same results from a pill as they could from hard work, how much hard work do you think would be done? Personally, I do things for the challenge, so the pills make no sense to me. The funny thing is that the body compensates for things, most drugs lose their effectivness after a while, or they have negative side effects which overcome the intended effect.

It's the lazy part that I get the biggest kick out of. It's January 1st, that means that when I go to the Gym tomorow morning there will be 20 new people (with newyear's resolutions) waiting in the parking lot for one of the spots closest to the door to open up so they don't have to walk any extra distance to get to the treadmill.

vandeda
01-01-2005, 10:23 PM
Climb,

I totally agree ... and it's funny, I'm hanging with my 2 best friends right now, and your message just started a great conversation about how lazy we've gotten, how people blame the food industry for the fact that so many Americans have become fat & overweight, and that people don't want to take responsibities for their own actions.

It's amazing ... our first inclination these days seems to be what's the quick fix pill. I know I've come across people who think it's weird that I avoid pills as much as possible, unless it's completely necessary.

I absolutely loved your message Climb, I'll probably even save it (when I'm home on my computer that is).

Dan - gotta get to bed earlier ....

BumbleBeeDave
01-01-2005, 10:38 PM
<< It's the lazy part that I get the biggest kick out of. It's January 1st, that means that when I go to the Gym tomorow morning there will be 20 new people (with newyear's resolutions) waiting in the parking lot for one of the spots closest to the door to open up so they don't have to walk any extra distance to get to the treadmill.>>

LOLOLOLOL!! :p

I am looking forward to this next week at my gym with mixed feelings. It’s gonna be jammed--for about three weeks. There will be lots to look at, though! ;)

BBDave

vaxn8r
01-02-2005, 12:05 AM
Sadly Climb, it is much, much easier and quicker to see a patient and prescribe a pill than it is to explain a disease process and it's natural course and why they don't need one. Many have come to expect and demand "pills" and will doctor shop if they don't get one.

It's refreshing when I run into a family who want to try other things first. I actually believe more and more people are beginning to realize this...slowly. It takes a lot of education, trust, etc.

There are many illnesses in which "pills" are clearly the first line of therapy. Ironic when that is the case and then you get a family who is afraid of them...that happens too.

shinomaster
01-02-2005, 02:30 AM
Here it comes!

It all started in the 50's and 60's! Remember the Rolling Stones song???

If I could take a pill that would correct my joint problems and strengthen my quads I sure as hell would!
It's only Illegal if you are a pro racer Climb. Racing Cat 5 or C cross races doesn't really matter that much..I wouldn't worry about beating a person who had healthy perfect anatomy if I took a pill that made my weak leg stronger..Life isn't fair. Why should sports be fair? Oops!! Juust kidding...I don't mean that..

Russ
01-02-2005, 11:36 AM
One thing I'd like to mention about this is the FDA. Do you think if the government really, trully was out there to watch for the interests of the people all these pills would be out?

Well, I realize, they must be for the interest of some people....

PS
Climb, let me know when you want to climb Mt. Washington. I would like to go with you!

Climb01742
01-02-2005, 12:04 PM
Climb, let me know when you want to climb Mt. Washington. I would like to go with you!

russ, i'm gonna try to do the mt washington hill climb this august. applications are accepted in feb. i can forward you some info, if you'd like. a climbing pal would be appreciated! ;)

Kevan
01-02-2005, 02:32 PM
but doesn't Sans-mans qualify as a pill? Hard to swallow... but with effects along the lines of LSD? :D

csb
01-02-2005, 02:41 PM
long slow distance?

dirtdigger88
01-02-2005, 03:29 PM
but doesn't Sans-mans qualify as a pill? Hard to swallow... but with effects along the lines of LSD? :D

LSD- now that brings back memories. . . or are they flash-backs? :cool:

jason

Russ
01-02-2005, 10:25 PM
russ, i'm gonna try to do the mt washington hill climb this august. applications are accepted in feb. i can forward you some info, if you'd like. a climbing pal would be appreciated! ;)

Keep me posted climb... But I thought you were going to do this on your own. Not in an "event" type of thing. Let mw know, however.

Climb01742
01-03-2005, 04:00 AM
russ, i'm going the "event" route for a couple of reasons...as a motivation with a definitive date...as a challenge, because the mt washington race is, on the east coast anyway, considered the toughest...but if i can't get a race number, i would definitely consider doing it in a non-event way...or there are a few mountains in france that have a certain appeal...i'll keep you posted...happy new year. :beer:

Sandy
01-03-2005, 06:18 AM
When I think of you, it is not the word PILL that comes to mind, but the word PILLOW, but that story belongs in another forum (x-rated one, at least) at another time. :)

Forever,

Feathers

Sandy
01-03-2005, 06:23 AM
Great! I also am planning on doing the Mt. Washington race. Unfortunately for you, I will be going in the opposite direction on a steamroller. I don't plan on losing that race at the Open House. :D :)

Making pancakes in the mountains,

Sandy

Sandy
01-03-2005, 06:29 AM
How about a pre-race race?? A time trial starting at the top of the Washington Monument. You first. Kevan will be at the bottom to catch you. :) :p :D :banana:

George Washington

Kevan
01-03-2005, 10:58 AM
no more recreational drugs; I get nothing but bad trips with that pill. :bike:

Dekonick
01-03-2005, 09:39 PM
There is nothing wrong with medication - - - properly used, properly prescribed, with an informed patient. There are terrible side effects from chemo therapy but you don't see the FDA pulling them do you???

Living with pain sucks. No patient should have to live with pain. It is absurd that today a government agency has this much power - the power to keep medicine that SHOULD be available to physicians out of their hands (or threaten them if they give out too much 'candy')

For anyone who has ever had true pain - the 11 on a 1-10 scale kind (cancer, neck/back nerve injury, burns, heck even kidney stones) you know what I am talking about.

think about this:

Asprin would not be over the counter if it were a new discovery - it has too many side effects...

Having said my bit - I am a believer in chiropractic care, acupuncture, theraputic massage, hot tubs, great sex, cold beer, cool dry fall days - all before surgery or long term pain medication use. - just please keep the medications available for the people who suffer. Don't deny them treatment because of a risk - INFORM THEM and let the doctor decide with the patient what is right!

Forgive my anti personal injury attorney, federal government bashing rant. :beer:

vaxn8r
01-03-2005, 10:21 PM
Living with pain sucks. No patient should have to live with pain. It is absurd that today a government agency has this much power - the power to keep medicine that SHOULD be available to physicians out of their hands (or threaten them if they give out too much 'candy')

A lot of what you say is true Dek. In the perfect world that is. Some people aren't sophisticated enough or have the resources to get proper pain control. For others you have to wonder what their pain tolerance is when, for example, they need vicodin every single time they get a sore throat or sprain their finger....or every time they get a cough. Do you ever feel angry when someone gets a narcotic from you and then get a call from the pharmacy that they've changed #30 to #300 or have turned in narc Rx's from 3 different docs, all on the same day? Obviously the person is in pain, but how do you deal with that in the real world? Do you really think no patient should ever suffer? My guess is you were trying to make a point about those who suffer with "real" pain. So now one is left trying to decide what real pain is.

This coming from a state where medical marijuana is legalized....

Dekonick
01-04-2005, 02:03 AM
Ill agree to an extent that there are abusers of pain meds - again NOT MY PROBLEM. If they want to screw up their body by taking vicodin, etc... so be it. They are welcome to do so with alcohol, tobacco, TV, fast food, etc...

I just believe that the medications ought to be available for medical use - by qualified practioners for informed patients. Drug abuse is another issue. Even drug abuse is a personal choice (not wise, but it is) but what gets my attention is when a doctor is afraid/encouraged to not prescribe treatments for fear of retaliatory response from a government agency. It also happens that the same patients you speak of (that change their scrips... or go pain pill shopping...) will abuse no matter what we try to regulate. The same patients also become known by the medical community and the community then restricts the access to the Rx - again DOCTORS deciding, not AGENTS or Dewie, Chetum, Anhow.....( do we cheat them and how for those slow on the uptake... Sandy comes to mind.... :D )

Addicted to TV? Lets ban it.
Addicted to fast food? Lets ban it.
Addicted to Serotta's? Go buy another and go for a ride!

Boy - its late and I rant again...

Waiting for my &^#$** compact from excelsports... HURRY UP GUYS!!! :crap:

Climb01742
01-04-2005, 05:20 AM
i think we're mixing issues a bit...

for people truly suffering, pain pills -- and in my book, most any "experimental" therapy that might work for cancer, for example, given to an informed patient -- is a-ok.

but far short of "truly suffering" is this huge pool of folks who medicate for just about everything. which has obvious physical implications, but also cultural ones, too. in the same way that, as a society, we're increasingly quick to blame -- and sue -- somebody, anybody, for anything that happens to us...we're just as quick to pop a pill for any physical or emotional "problem"...how did trouble having an erection become an epidemic? :rolleyes:

it just seems to me we're increasingly quick to look outside of ourselves for the fault or solution to things in our lives. aren't we pretty responsible for our lives, our health, our success and our failures?

except of course for what's sandy's fault... :rolleyes:

SGP
01-04-2005, 06:07 AM
that our culture has been, for a long time now, one obsessed with a quick fix (no pun intended) and panaceas. Whom can we blame? Many of the drugs that have been recalled by the FDA for croaking premium paying customers were aggressively marketed with direct to the consumer advertising encouraging patients to request specific medicines from their DR's for their self diagnosed symptoms. Hell, they will even send you a coupon and a list of Dr.'s who understand... :crap:
There is just too much profit to be made by the drug andinsurance companies.
:crap:

William
01-04-2005, 06:18 AM
As has been mentioned already, I believe most people look for the easy way through things. I personally have never understood why people would rather sit on their arse and swallow a "magic" pill that is supposed to melt away pounds. Really I think it's more about easing their conscience and making it ok to eat more crap and not expend a little energy to get into shape. The people on this forum for the most part are the type of people who have made the choice to live healthier and exercise. But we are in the minority in this country. Most people would rather listen to the snake oil salesman and believe that they can have what they want with out having to expend energy (work) to do it. "Hey, that supermodel lost 35 pounds in 12 hours by taking this Grapefruit 145 pill. Now you can eat whatever you want, never have to exercise, and be that hard body you've always dreamed about with Grapefruit 145 pills" 20 day supply for just four easy payments of $49.95" ( with a full money back grantee if you can find us before we change our name and address).

>>Sadly Climb, it is much, much easier and quicker to see a patient and prescribe a pill than it is to explain a disease process and it's natural course and why they don't need one. Many have come to expect and demand "pills" and will doctor shop if they don't get one.

>>It also happens that the same patients you speak of (that change their scrips... or go pain pill shopping...) will abuse no matter what we try to regulate. The same patients also become known by the medical community and the community then restricts the access to the Rx - again DOCTORS deciding,

I've got first hand experience to the extreme on this one. I have a relative-in-law who will go from Dr. to Dr until she finds one that will tell her what she wants to hear and give her the "meds" she is really after. She is a prescription drug addict. It started off as a prescription for back pain from a fall on a school bus. She had a very good job in a profession that helped our youth. She was able to keep it under wraps for quite a few years but it has finally taken her to a point where she is no longer stable, lost her job, her marriage, and her family. Unfortunately she always seemed to find a Dr. that was willing to give her meds when the last one cut her off. She also lives in the state where medical marijuana is legalized (though that's not what she's after).

I believe that pain medication has a rightful place for those that truly need it. But as climb as pointed out, the marketing juggernaught has made it seem that you need a pill for absolutely everything. When confronted about advertising, many companies will claim that it doesn't influence people that much. But if that was true, why do they spend many millions (billions collectively) of dollars to advertise? They spend more on advertising then they do on R&D. Something must be working there. If people are willing to spend their money on all the fat melting pills they see on infomercials, they'll be clamouring for all the meds they see advertised on the tube as well.

I personally don't like taking pain meds. I have never used them when they have been prescribed after surgery or for various injuries I have had over the years. I'm not saying I wouldn't if the pain was bad enough, but so far I have a very high threshold for pain that hasn't been crossed.

But that's just me.

William

vaxn8r
01-04-2005, 03:15 PM
...how did trouble having an erection become an epidemic? :rolleyes:
It became an epidemic at the same time obesity, diabetes and peripheral vascular disease became epidemic. Americans have eaten themselves into oblivion (ever go into a movie theater and watch what people carry in?) and then don't exercise a whit. But we want our erections and we want them now! It really is insane isn't it?

vaxn8r
01-04-2005, 03:24 PM
but far short of "truly suffering" is this huge pool of folks who medicate for just about everything.

Yes, but that is the real trick, how do you decide who is really suffering? William had surgery and required no narcotics!!! He's the man! I think generally you're right on many levels. But one on one, when you take individuals, some people just can't hack "life". In many cases their lives plain suck, through no fault of their own. Even then, not everyone has the emotional skills or intelligence to pull themselves out from the muck. Then look at drug addicts, who suffer more than any of us will ever know. The pain of withdrawal is unimaginable. I'm just saying there is a lot of gray area....as usual for most things in life...

Dekonick
01-04-2005, 09:01 PM
Sandy made me post!

heh.