PDA

View Full Version : Help - cannot remove black plug from non-drive crank arm

ahumblecycler
05-24-2009, 06:53 PM
I cannot remove the black plug from the crank arm. I cannot figure out how to pry it out. It appears someone shoved it deep into the whole.

Does anyone have tips please??? :crap:

David Kirk
05-24-2009, 06:56 PM
What chu talk'in bout Willis?

dave

chuckster12
05-24-2009, 07:16 PM
if you are talking about a shimano crankset, the black plug is threaded and you need a tool that matches the inner pattern to remove the plug.

roydyates
05-24-2009, 07:32 PM
I cannot remove the black plug from the crank arm. I cannot figure out how to pry it out. It appears someone shoved it deep into the whole.

Does anyone have tips please??? :crap:

Did you first loosen the bolts on the crank arm?

ahumblecycler
05-24-2009, 08:24 PM
Now that I have calmed down a bit I am now able to respond. I have the appropriate park tool removal tool. I have removed the crank arm bolts. I try to to loosen the cap, but I cannot. I feel like I am doing something wrong, but I have no clue what. I am trying to loosen the cap by rotating the black tool part counter-clockwise.

dogdriver
05-24-2009, 09:06 PM
I had the same issue a few months back. Yes, it is "normal" lefty-loosey threading. I ended up having to grab the Shimano tool with a pipe wrench (the only thing I had big enough to span the diameter of the tool) and it backed out no problem. Don't understand, however, how plastic gets frozen in metal...

FWIW, Chris

dvs cycles
05-25-2009, 10:18 AM
I had the same issue a few months back. Yes, it is "normal" lefty-loosey threading. I ended up having to grab the Shimano tool with a pipe wrench (the only thing I had big enough to span the diameter of the tool) and it backed out no problem. Don't understand, however, how plastic gets frozen in metal...

FWIW, ChrisProbably gets compressed into an oval shape by the pinch bolts if I had to guess. Haven't had to remove any yet.

dogdriver
05-25-2009, 10:37 AM
Probably gets compressed into an oval shape by the pinch bolts if I had to guess. Haven't had to remove any yet.

Yeah, I think "smooshed" is the technical term. It apparently has no function once the allen bolts are tightened (kind of like the star nut/bolt on a threadless HS) other than keeping crud out.

ahumblecycler
05-25-2009, 02:05 PM
I stripped my new park tool trying to remove it. I am taking it to the bike shop.

I removed a DA crank last year and I have no problems. I just suck I guess. :crap:

vqdriver
05-25-2009, 03:23 PM
it's plastic and the spindle is hollow. drill it.

dannyg1
05-25-2009, 03:49 PM

dannyg1
05-25-2009, 03:51 PM
Try and stress it a bit by pulling/rocking on the Non-drive arm, to try and get the first thread reshaped. Then cut a slot in it and use a big screwdriver.

BTW, 105 (and XT) cranksets use a different, smaller size tension bolt than Dura Ace.