PDA

View Full Version : OT AutoCAD tech question for architects / engineers / framebuilders

d_douglas
05-24-2009, 11:54 AM
I was 'gifted' a copy of AutCAD by a French architecture firm as a way to update my skills (I only use Vectorworks at the moment).

Generous offer, and quickly installed on my computer, BUT then I realized that it is all in French. My language skills are improving here in Switzerland, but for learning a new and complex piece of software, I think this is an added challenge that I would rather not have.

Does anyone know if/how you can change language settings on AutoCAD 2004? I would appreciate any suggestions.

CaliFly
05-24-2009, 12:08 PM
I was 'gifted' a copy of AutCAD by a French architecture firm as a way to update my skills (I only use Vectorworks at the moment).

Generous offer, and quickly installed on my computer, BUT then I realized that it is all in French. My language skills are improving here in Switzerland, but for learning a new and complex piece of software, I think this is an added challenge that I would rather not have.

Does anyone know if/how you can change language settings on AutoCAD 2004? I would appreciate any suggestions.

There is no setting for simply changing the language. A French copy of AutoCAD will only be in French. You could return the copy and request an English version.

d_douglas
05-24-2009, 02:07 PM
No returns - it was a complimentary copy from a very big French firm. The guy who I met was American, so it never dawned on me that I would have to learn it in French.

It would be bad form to ask him to another copy....

SO, does anyone want to trade a French version for an English version!?!?

Cheers,

Darren

johnmdesigner
05-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Autocad is all symbol driven. It doesn't matter what language as long as you know the symbols. Go to Barnes and Noble and buy one of those big books on ACAD.
It's very easy to "pick-up" an english version on the web. ;) Just do some searching.

keevon
05-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Agreed. You might be able to find a demo version of AutoCAD that matches the release of yours. Play around with it, learn what the tools are, learn what the menus say, and start transitioning over to the French version. When I used AutoCAD extensively (I'm now on Microstation) I had it set up to do 90% of my tasks via keyboard shortcuts. I was never big on the toolbars.

Good luck. This could be a great excuse to learn Francais.

d_douglas
05-24-2009, 04:14 PM
Aside from ACAD, Microstation is the big programme in Europe. I tried it in Arch school, but let it overwhelm me. Do you use it for 3D drawing as well as 2D?

If not, what do people currently use for 3D tools - I have heard good things about Rhino.

Thanks for this good information - I am working outside the field at the moment (probably a good thing from a financial perspective) but looking to get into it again. Way more stimulating than what I am doing now.

It is interesting to see how many architects are on this forum - correlations? Coincidences?

cowerd
05-24-2009, 05:52 PM
rhino. if you can use autocad, rhino comes quickly.
sketchup for simplistic, fast stuff.

lots of firms here moving towards BIM and Revit.

CaliFly
05-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Aside from ACAD, Microstation is the big programme in Europe. I tried it in Arch school, but let it overwhelm me. Do you use it for 3D drawing as well as 2D?

If not, what do people currently use for 3D tools - I have heard good things about Rhino.

Thanks for this good information - I am working outside the field at the moment (probably a good thing from a financial perspective) but looking to get into it again. Way more stimulating than what I am doing now.

It is interesting to see how many architects are on this forum - correlations? Coincidences?

Not an architect...just a humble drafter/detailer for the commercial glazing industry (storefront and curtainwall). As such, I'm only using 2D...for now. We're looking for a solid solution that streamlines estimating, shop drawings, takeoff and fab tickets...but isn't everyone else trying to accomplish the same thing?

As for 3D...I downloaded a free version of Google SketchUp (http://sketchup.google.com/), and it looks pretty cool.

torquer
05-26-2009, 09:42 AM
AutoCad is the industry standard, sure, so in that sense you would "upgrade" your skills, but learning it after using Vectorworks would be like riding a big-box store bike after owning a Serotta; the motions are similar, but the feelings are going to be way different. Especially if you are doing 3D work.

Besides, Vectorworks filles can be saved in DXF/DWG formats, and you can easily import AutoCad files, so working with other firms using the Autocad platform shouldn't be a problem.

My own experience learning CAD programs is that, regardless of language, you really need someone already familiar with the program to answer all those frustrating questions that come up. If you don't have access to someone like that in your office setting (I didn't), take a course if at all possible. It will be well worth the time and money.

d_douglas
06-03-2009, 03:28 PM
So, if I understand correctly, ACAD is symbol driven. Once I can find the symbol, I am set.

I have searched the web for a template of AutoCAD 2004 symbols, but can't find one - can anyone point me to a link that would have this information? I have a book on this version that is supposed to be good, but I kinda lost my motivation once the 'language-bomb' hit me.

Yes, Vectorworks is more natural and intuitive, but I need to get back into architecture after three years away from it, and knowing ACAD is an essential piece to the puzzle.

Thanks for any suggestions . . . . .