PDA

View Full Version : Anti-cycling story in the Sacramento Bee or are these riders really out of control?

EPOJoe
05-23-2009, 10:34 PM
This story ran in the Bee this morning. A case of more anti-cycling sentiment or are these guys really stepping over the line?

http://www.sacbee.com/topstories/story/1886121.html

gasman
05-23-2009, 11:29 PM
It sure sounds like they are stepping over the line when experienced cyclist no longer participate.

Lifelover
05-24-2009, 06:51 AM
Sounds like a bunch of idiots!

gone
05-24-2009, 07:20 AM
In one relatively short (40 mile) weekly ride they create enough ill will toward cyclists to last a lifetime. Quite an accomplishment!

Morons.

daada51
05-24-2009, 07:40 AM
Imagine the same sort of ride done during evening rush hour on a major commuter route and you have the the infamous "Drives" rides of the city of brotherly love. Literally hundreds of new bike haters created every week.

Samster
05-24-2009, 07:46 AM
A case of more anti-cycling sentiment or are these guys really stepping over the line?
is this a trick question?

jasond
05-24-2009, 07:51 AM
Absolutely amazing, the authorities really need to step in and stop the ride from happening.

What do you do when you see cyclists not obeying the law?

I saw two cyclist yesterday riding two abreast and thought about saying something but decided it wasn't worth it and went about my day.

J

1centaur
05-24-2009, 08:00 AM
I doubt you'd find a phrase like, "the behavior won't stop until they look within" written in an East Coast newspaper.

The author did a better than average job of getting all sides, though still left the impression that a group ride is a problem rather than just this out of control group ride. I particularly did not like the comparison to the Brentwood case.

If I were the local cops I would follow and give tickets a few times.

rugbysecondrow
05-24-2009, 08:11 AM
I went out with a local group once who acted in a similar disregard for traffic and the laws. This is also my problem with the Critical Mass folks who think that it is acceptable to slow down traffic on a Friday evening in downtown DC during drive time. Is pissing people off really a good way to make your point? Seems like the wrong point is being made and that is why the bike movement is 3 steps forward, 2.75 steps back.

Bruce K
05-24-2009, 09:16 AM
Jason;

Two abreast may be a pain or even rude at times but the new cycling law in MA allows it. Cyclists are also required by the new law to "single up" to allow traffic to pass.

The new cycling law is very comprehensive in both it's protection of cyclists and clearly stating the "rules of the road" when we are out.

Unfortunately, some people don't know about the new law or fully understand it. This includes cyclists, motorists, and law enforcement personnel. At least 2 out of these 3 groups should know it by heart.

If cyclists followed the new law, motorists would be a whole lot happier and we'd be a whole lot safer.

That said, there are just some folks who will never be happy until we are off the roads completely. :butt:

BK

jasond
05-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Bruce,

The new laws here in MA are great. I wish there was a group like there is for the MA State Troops that buy radio time to tell people about the new law they enacted. I hear it every now and then informing everyone that you are now required to change lanes when you come up on a trooper that has pulled someone over.

J

goonster
05-24-2009, 09:58 AM
The article nails it about the pack mentality aspect.

Ask anyone on a ride like that, and they'll say "I didn't do anything wrong. I'm just going along with the group."

It is every human being's responsibility not to be part of a mob.

Fivethumbs
05-24-2009, 01:26 PM
"You can sit in somewhere around 15th position and do relatively little work and go very, very fast."

For me this defeats the whole purpose that I go out riding...

Louis
05-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Bottom line: When you have idiots who routinely and flagrantly refuse to follow the laws of common sense and the laws as written then the cops need to enforce them, whether the fools are cyclists or motorists. We're not just talking about rolling through a stop sign when there is no one else around.

If the cyclists want to play "stage race" riding they need to go do it out where there are no stop lights or stop signs, not in the middle of a city.